Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Kenda Small Block 8's…
  • takisawa2

Considering some smoother rolling tyre's for my FS.
    Been riding 2.35 Nev/BG combo, but yesterdays ride was bloody hard work.
    Dont tend to ride very rocky terrain, prefer smoother stuff, Cannock Chase mainly. Have the same Nev/BG combo on the SS, but in 2.1 size & they seem only slightly better.
    Just looking for some views…
    Also, size…2.1 or 2.35 ??
    I'm no lightweight so wondering if 2.1's might be a bit fragile?
    Anything simmilar worth considering ?

JamesP
    Free Member

SB8s are one of my favourite tyres in the dry or for rocky trails. I rode with them at Coed y Brenin and Afan over Easter and they were pretty much faultless. The close spacing of the knobs does make them pretty terrible in thick mud though. In short, a great trail centre or summer tyre but avoid for winter duties.

Sizing – they don't come up huge – pretty true to size. So if you are a bit heavy size up. Other fast rollers would be 2.35 Schwalbe Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph. Perhaps the Maxxis High Roller XC?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used SM8 2.1 on my 456 last spring/summer and loved them. Just about got them to run tubeless but needed air each weekend.
    Fast and nicely grippy on the fairly standard Delamere/Clwyds/Llandegla stuff. I'm 90kg and had no probs other than one burp when it wasn't inflated enough.
    They'll be going back on pretty soon I think.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've got a pair of 2.35 SB8s that I really don't like at all. Sure, they roll fast, but that's about it. I've found them to have very poor braking traction, and whilst they grip ok on hardpack & rocky stuff, they are terrible on anything else. For a laugh I took them down Pleney at Morzine a couple of years ago. I screamed, but not in a good way.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Another here that finds their braking traction a little wanting.

Good on the rear in the right conditions though.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I've just put some 2.3 Panaracer Razer XC's on my HT. Light, big volume and fast – they even perform pretty well in softish conditions as they don't hold onto the mud.

29erKeith
    Free Member

great tyres
    side walls are a bit weak though, I've split 2

tinsy
    Free Member

Pedalhead, you ever heard the expression "horses for courses" ?

They are brilliant at what they are designed for, but dont expect them to be an alrounder… Definately one for the tyre swappers like myself.

Not sure I would team 1 up with anything else either, its a pair or none in my opinion..

pedalhead
    Free Member

Pedalhead, you ever heard the expression "horses for courses" ?

lol yeah fair point on the Pleney thing, I tried that just for a laugh, but nevertheless I do find them a bit of a one trick pony.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nevegal F SB8 R is working great for me, even through the mud. Reliable grip on the front and speed at the back.
    I'm back to running it at 35psi rear and the speed boost is worth the downsides at the mo

chakaping
    Free Member

Nevegal F SB8 R is working great for me.

Same combo here, but not until it's a bit less muddy.

Am only just thinking about going back from Mud Xs to Nevegals for local XC riding.

The SB8s probably won't be coming out for a while yet, but I'm looking forward to trying them F and R in the summer.

tinsy
    Free Member

Takisawa.. Spesh used to make a tyre called a Fast Trak, they might be worth a look, not quite as fast as an SB8 but hold their own a bit longer if the going gets a bit softer… However I can only find the LK versions at the moment, wich are the same but with lower profile knobs, and I doubt they would be as versatile… Maybe Spesh have replaced it.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@ Pedalhead

Mark if you want someone to take those off your hands then just say the word!

TeaBoyPaul

Also worth a look are Maxxis Larsen TT. Seem a little easier to get hold of than SB8s too! Probably a bit better braking traction than the SB8s but not as much grip through the corners.
    Just (last week) put some new SB8s on my bike and I got on ok with them apart from when the going got soft and muddy, then the rear tyre simply refused to grip anything! Will be great once the ground begins to dry out… if it ever does.

Paul

tinsy
    Free Member

Way too early for SB8's yet, you will ruin rides with them this time of year..

takisawa2

Might give some 2.1's a go on my SS first.
    I tend to stick to firmer trails with on that.
    Anyone tried going ghetto tubeless on a set ?

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 Panaracer Razers. Super fast in hard pack

pedalhead
    Free Member

Mark if you want someone to take those off your hands then just say the word!

Hey Matt, yeah I'll be happy to pass them on. One of them has more life left than the other. Can bring them along to a ride when I next get out midweek (been a bit hectic the past couple).

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I like my SB8s on my 29er. Not too sure on 26 if they will be as good. I prefer Panracer Fires on the small wheels. SB8 do roll fast though. I think sometimes people are guilty of over tyreing like they are of over biking. ie 6inch travel to ride on trails that are like canal paths.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

That would be great–thanks Mark. I've fancied giving these a try for a while. Once it dries out a bit out here I think they might be pretty good.

Hope life's treating you well.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Bontrager XR1 Team looks just like a sb8 or a dry x which has slightly bigger tread.

JamesP
    Free Member

Btw, run them on No Tubes 355 rims with yellow tape and sealant and have had no problems at all. Went up with a track pump and very little sidewall leakage. There are some stories out that sealant degrades the rubber on Kenda tyres but I have no evidence of this.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

about as good as it gets in the dry. very grippy, and versatile. pump em up hard to go fast, run em soft for traction. lots of volume too, so very comfy on a hardtail.

I love em, can't wait to stick them back on my bike for the summer.

Continental Race Kings for me.

Supersonic on the front and Protection on the rear.

So quick, but for dry/ summer use only.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Kenda Small Block 8's…’ is closed to new replies.