Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh…..
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I mean for the love of christ. My girlfriend is a very intelligent woman, way too intelligent for me but why oh why does she insist on watching this shite.? It’s absolutely piss poor. The girls on there don’t talk to each other but communicate in a succession of American sounding whines.

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.!

clubber
    Free Member

snap. bloody awful isn’t it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Dunno, but I have noticed that some very intelligent people I know watch soaps, Ecks-Faktor, big brother, reality TV, Celbrities’ Cum Dancing, that sort of thing. What many on here would consider ‘low brow’ TV.

We’re talking Doctors, Lawyers, University Professors, even Judges.

One thing that strikes me, is that they’re all women. Which I find inertesting.

But then, how many blokes watch Top Gear, World’s Most Stupid Car Chases, World’s Biggest Oil Tankers/Machines/loudest shooty bangy things etc?

Are they the male equivalent?

Strikes me that many women tend to enjoy stuff with an emotional element, whereas many blokes like mechanical stuff, and stuff that involves danger and ‘manliness’. A gross generalisation though. Do women pour as much scorn on male viewing choices? Or just get on enjoying their own thing more instead, rather than judging?

A result of our gender/social conditioning?

Are men more judgmental?

Are women better at relating to their emotional side?

Will Stacey/Chantelle/Abigaille (or whatever ffs I don’t bloody know do I??) find out the hidden truth about her father???? 😯

wallop

I think you mean “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!”

emma82
    Free Member

I think elfin is right 🙄 I know a lot of intelligent people who watch some real tat on TV and as one once said to me it just switches their brain off. These sorts of programmes don’t require any thought, reaction or any debate other than than the ‘why the helll do you watch this mindless tat’. That said I watch a lot of them and I’m not intelligent 🙁

Sue_W
    Free Member

Nope, can’t stand any of the above programmes that pass for TV on Elfin’s list, which leaves me trying to decide between the folllowing conclusions:

(a) I’m not intelligent (but having a puff-hood* would possibly mean that isn’t the case)
    (b) I’m neither female nor male (last time I checked I was definately one of these!)
    (c) I have a low tolerance for cr*p

mmm … think it might be option (c)

*puff-hood = PhD

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not intelligent (but having a puff-hood* would possibly mean that isn’t the case)

I fort it was a ‘Phud’? no?

Dunno, cos I jolly well have not got one. 😐

Nothing wrong with enjoying something ‘crap’ now and then, like food, TV, entertainment etc. I think it becomes a problem if your life revolves around it though, like you rush home to watch CoronEnders or whatever, forgo fun social events for Cum Dancing, start dressing like Jeremy Clarkson, fantasising about guns and stuff…..

I like the odd doner kebab, the odd cheesy pop choon, watching the odd crappy action adventure movie now and then.

I am incredibly stupid* mind, so this proves absolutely nothing.

*Unlike SueW, what is proper clever. 🙂

Sue_W
    Free Member

Huh – since when did having a Phud make you proper clever … usually the opposite!

Plus, I have to confess to a secret liking for Location, Location, Location … which destroys any pretence at highbrow intelligensia 😳

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, Elfin, you’re pretty bright but do a good job sometimes of making it look otherwise 😉

hels
    Free Member

Programmes such as Kardashians are the harbringer of the final and inevitable decline of western civilization as we know it, the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse.

So is TOWIE (I googled that when I saw it in the TV schedules, watched five minutes and wanted to rip my face off with a cheese grater)

But the real nail in the coffin is Made in Chelsea. I dare you to watch it without vomiting curries you had 6 weeks ago.

OK better get some coffee now..

mildred

The telly is dire these days.

I just can’t watch anything with “celebrity” in the title. Who the **** is celebrating these idiots?

I genuinely thought that Kardashians programme was a Star Trek spin-off; I was sorely tested that night!

All these “reality” shows really Really REALLY grip my shit. Its just cheap toss. So what’s the alternative? There isn’t one. I’ve virtually stopped watching the box now. And what’s more frustrating is that it seems to have shown up a stark contrast in taste between me and the Mrs. If she had the time she would watch Jeremy Kyle repeats. I don’t know if I can go on….

hels
    Free Member

No no no, there are some good shows. You just have to look for them. BBC4 is a good place to start. (how old does that make me oops)

bikebouy
    Free Member

You can’t blame the telly! No, no, no, blame yourself for watching these type of programmes..

But that’s not to say these programmes represent any intelligence level in a human form, no, rather they are designed and watched as “light entertainment” fit perfectly into the demo graph, take people off the streets, reduce fat burning content, relieve stress, take peoples minds off work/relationship/homelife balance and let the watcher “switch off”

Which really is what should happen… switch off.

But folks don’t do they?. Rather folks get “into” and watch endlessly programmes where the subject matter is far below their own expectations, makes the viewer feel good about their own “life” and enables a socio-cohesive sigh of relief that their own lives are rather better than what’s being animated on the glowscreen in front of them.

There are some hefty research papers on this kinda stuff, I was made to read a subset which majored on “Game Shows” when I worked for Carlton TV, it was amazing the amount of human behaviour noted, be that brain activity, social interaction within the home, and external subjects, length of attention spans, eye movements, amount of information absorbed and length of time it took to dissipate (or forget entirely) product placement, laugh quota, unsettledness and movement of the body, wants and desires made during and after the programme, length of time and delivery of actors lines, content, subject matter.. the list was endless and hugely informative.

But if you don’t like watching these type of programmes, turn over or off or find another TV watching partner

emsz
    Free Member

I reckon (well GF mentioned this, and she’s waaaay cleverer than me) it’s sort of the same that Bedlam was for the Victorians

We watch, because we can say to ourselves “I’m better than her/him/them”

it’s to re-assure us that no matter how dull our lives are (on train watching same countryside flash by) it’s not at **** up as theirs.

still watch though 😆

toby1

Anything on E-tv actually eats not only brain cells but also your soul …

fourbanger
    Free Member

Some good fap material on Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
    Every cloud and all that.

alfabus
    Free Member

when we moved house, we ditched our telly. absolutely no regrets.

we have a projector and screen to watch films, and if we really want to, we can watch iplayer etc. on the computer.

However, the biggest difference is that we don’t go into the living room and automatically switch on the idiot box, so we don’t lose hours of our lives watching crap we have no interest in.

Dave

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘"Keeping Up with the Kardashians" Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh…..’ is closed to new replies.