• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 7hz.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Keeping SLR camera safe on rides
  • captaindanger

How? I’m thinking of getting one of these:
    http://www.samcases.co.uk/explorer-cases/2214.htm
    which is about the right size, or a peli case. Any experience/other options?
    Thanks

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Would be well protected ( I have a Peli case) but a pig to get at when you want it in a rush.
    I just use a holster type case in my bag, or have been known to just ride with my camera back pack on & just make sure everything’s insured properly.

cubemeup
    Free Member

i put mine in a plastic bag and sling it in my camelbak but u need to be careful incase of any offs. i went and bought the canon sx 210 instead of taking it out

cookeaa

Just buy a half decent compact leave the SLR at home…

captaindanger

I want SLR quality photos though!

cubemeup
    Free Member

my sx210 is pretty sharp!!

Conqueror
    Free Member

line the bag with padding?

user-removed
    Free Member

My D300 gets wrapped in a fleece or waterproof and stuffed in the rucksack, along with flash, jam sandwiches, tools, etc…

Had a fair few falls and it still seems to work OK!

psychle
    Free Member

they’re a lot tougher than you think really… and in all honesty, how often do you actually crash?

I’ve see some folk hanging theirs off their camelbak straps on the front (using d shackles or carabiners I guess?), so it’s on their chest. looks to be a good spot to me?

captaindanger

Interesting idea but I’d be as worried about having SLR shaped bruised ribs as I would be about the camera.

Have considered just wrapping it up in stuff but no matter what you wrap it in, if you come off and roll on it, you’re still lying on your camera, the fleece wont support you! Don’t want to risk it really.

yodagoat
    Free Member
    MrGreedy

Is simonfbarnes still posting on here? If so I expect he’ll be along shortly to show you how to clip it to your chest – I did the same with mine for a while and it was very useful to be able to get it out/put it away quickly.

As others have said, they’re pretty tough things anyway so I’d have thought the link in the OP is very much overkill, at the price of loads of weight and inconvenience. I eventually gave up carrying the SLR and just use a compact nowadays – best trade-off between convenience and quality IMO.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Eh?

What I mean is..

Camera goes inside Camera Bag + Bubble pack + padding..

and this then goes inside rucksack/camelbak

user-removed
    Free Member

OP – just clicked the link in your OP. If you carry your camera in that, inside a rucksack, you will take zero pics – it’s just too much hassle getting the camera out.

I used to use a holster type thing inside my backpack, but even that becomes a bit of a pain.

Just stick it in your bag and check your insurance is up to date 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

The OP’s idea is massive over kill. i stick mine undone in a barely padded holster thing, and then toss it in the camelbak. I’ve done that with a Canon 350D, 30D, and now 7D. No problems what so ever, including when I’ve crashed with them on. DSLRs are pretty tough.

kudos100
    Free Member

Just buy a half decent compact leave the SLR at home…

This. Ride it like you stole it and take a compact, or tone down the riding and take an slr. I vote for the former 🙂

7hz
    Free Member

Can’t get them in the UK, and the European ones are the old version last time I tried, but if you can find a way to get one from the states for a reasonable cost (good luck!), then http://www.clikelite.com/shop/compact-sport/ is the ideal solution IMHO.

grantway
    Free Member

I use The Camelbak Mayhem This has a great separate
    padded top section which i carry my Canon G11 in
    and have plenty of hard offs on and no probs

7hz
    Free Member

plenty of hard offs

Fnar?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Keeping SLR camera safe on rides’ is closed to new replies.