Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Keeping remotes together
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I have three remotes.

I’m fed up with 3 individual games of hide and seek every time I want to change the telly.

I’m about to buy a 30cmx30cm net bag to put all three in.
    They will be operated from within the bag.

Before I do has anyone found a better solution.

andyl
    Free Member

All in one remote

or superglue them into a multi-sided mega-remote.

Cougar

All in one remote

I got one of those. I thought, “this changes everything!”

gobuchul
    Free Member

Logitech Harmony

Not cheap but an excellent piece of kit.

Cougar

Connect everything up with HDMI. Enable HDMI-CEC. Throw away two remotes.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I see your problem. You’re letting other people use the remotes. The solution is to keep them with you at all times and if anyone tries to touch YOUR remotes threaten them with a fate worse than death (or no pudding). Problem solved.

simon_g

“Better” but more expensive is to replace them with a single universal remote that can control all the things.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-universal-remote-control/

We have a Logitech Harmony and it works well once set up. Pick an activity (e.g. Watch TV) and it switches the TV, freeview box and stereo, sets to the right inputs, then the channel up/down, volume control, etc send commands to the right box.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Not cheap” – you lost me at this point. 🙂

Presumably the all in ones don’t to WIFI as well as IR? In which case I still need my firestick controller ‘cos I prefer it to my phone.

andyl
    Free Member

Self adhesive Velcro for the less permanent solution

cynic-al
    Free Member

andyl
    Free Member

backed this on Kickstarter: https://neeo.com/

but it’s now 2 years behind schedule. Not a huge problem as my house is still not built but annoying and wonder if it will ever appear. I did mention voice control to the creators back at the start but they didn’t want to delay the program (hmm, that ship has sailed) but hopefully it should integrate nicely with Amazon’s Alexa/Echo/Dot devices for that.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The problem with all-in-one remotes is that there’s always something they can’t do so you end up trying to find the old control again!

I just line all mine up like an infantry of electronics and it gives me a great sense of control, quite literally.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The problem with all-in-one remotes is that there’s always something they can’t do so you end up trying to find the old control again!

Not with the Harmony ones. They have a massive database of every piece of kit out there and you program the remote with the exact model of equipment.

All the more “unusual” functions are covered by the LCD screen which can support as many functions as you need.

richmtb

Look at “One For All”

Nothing like as fancy as the Logitech Harmony but pretty cheap (around £20)

I’ve got one that controls six devices and I actually use it to control the TV, SKY Box, Blu Ray Player, Xbox and Surround Amp

It has a “Magic” button that sets up most devices with a single press you can also make it learn from the original remote.

I’ve not needed to dig out the old remotes

simon_g

Presumably the all in ones don’t to WIFI as well as IR? In which case I still need my firestick controller ‘cos I prefer it to my phone.

Fire Stick does HDMI-CEC (aka sending commands via the HDMI port). You can use your TV’s commands for up/down/left/right/select/play/pause etc and it sends them to the Fire Stick. Works fine for me.

kimbers

Just buy all sony stuff and bravia sync means we never have to worry about multiple remotes
    it genuinely makes my life easier

binners

gobuchul
    Free Member

we never have to worry about multiple remotes

Just need to worry about what those obscure symbols mean on Sony remotes. 🙂

Sundayjumper

Al.

The megatron doesn’t say urban freewheelers. It says sofa masturbators

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

This might work

mefty
    Free Member

I just superglue them in front of the devices they control – problem solved – ok you have to get off your arse to use them but a bit of movement never killed anyone.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Tskalusa and SimonG, between you, you have solved my problem.

You’ve saved me about an hour a week for the rest of my life.

I’m actually crying with joy. 🙂

Cougar

Just buy all sony stuff and bravia sync means we never have to worry about multiple remotes
    it genuinely makes my life easier

Bravia Sync is just HDMI-CEC with a Sony brand name. Same with all the other brands, Regza-link, Viera-link and all the rest, it’s all CEC and should all interoperate with each other as it’s a standard. Giving it a fancy name is a bit of a trick to ensure brand loyalty. Er, oh, sorry.

zilog6128

I’ve had Harmony remotes for years, they’re great (control lights, fan, sockets, etc) although when it becomes time to replace it I might have another look around as they’re not great at integrating with other products/standards.

Actually the best thing about my Harmony is that it’s RF so you don’t even have to point it at (or be in the same room as) the thing(s) it’s operating.

cranberry
    Free Member

Logitech Harmony

Not cheap but an excellent piece of kit.

+3

+1

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member

Al.

“The megatron doesn’t say urban freewheelers. It says sofa masturbators”

Perfect for me then!

Daffy

Cougar – Moderator

All in one remote

I got one of those. I thought, “this changes everything!”

😀

Cougar

the best thing about my Harmony is that it’s RF so you don’t even have to point it at (or be in the same room as) the thing(s) it’s operating.

How does that work then, is there a receiver module with an IR blaster?

zilog6128

Yes, in fact a couple of blasters, in case you have AV equipment in a cupboard, etc.

Alphabet

I had a Harmony 650 but I found it kept going into some kind of new user/setup mode where it kept asking me to press certain keys before it started working again. Has this been fixed? If so I might try one again.

zilog6128

sounds faulty… I have had a One, then a 900, then an Ultimate (which Logitech kindly sent me after the battery in the 900 developed a problem) which barring the battery thing (which didn’t actually affect it really) have been faultless.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just use my phone.

gonzy
    Free Member

we have the same problem at home…the dvd remote always disappears then magically reappears, the tv and sky Q remote does the same trick…most of the time theyre always stuffed inside the sofa cushions
    remedy for the sky Q remote was to try encouraging the wife and kids to use the other remote instead which is bluetooth connected and can be located using the sky Q box…but no-one likes the touch pad on it

kimbers

Bravia Sync is just HDMI-CEC with a Sony brand name. Same with all the other brands, Regza-link, Viera-link and all the rest, it’s all CEC and should all interoperate with each other as it’s a standard. Giving it a fancy name is a bit of a trick to ensure brand loyalty. Er, oh, sorry.

its fine by me, my sony TV is great, got a sony soundbase on a great deal at john lewis and its very good and what better excuse to buy a playstation 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Why has no-one come up with a phone app for this? Phones can do every bloody thing else!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Before I do has anyone found a better solution.

Get rid of the TV?

zilog6128

Why has no-one come up with a phone app for this? Phones can do every bloody thing else!

You can buy the Harmony Hub on its own without a remote and control it with your phone.

nickjb
    Free Member

Plenty of phone remote apps available. Just need a phone with an IR port, which isn’t that common but still pretty widely available. Often on samsungs, LGs and some of the cheap chinese ones. Not as nice to use as a proper remote but handy occasionally

bikebouy
    Free Member

Instead of the net bag thingymibob, when you’ve finished wearing these, use the left leg.

DezB
    Free Member

Harmony Hub £100?! Wheres that rubber band?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Keeping remotes together’ is closed to new replies.