Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • keeping landlord happy with mountain bikes in your flat….
  • mrl

One cheap solution is a extra thick super king plastic mattress cover. Used by removal companies and for storage. Got mine on eBay for about 10 quid. Leave by the front door when you go out. Roll mid bike in once you get back. Won’t last for ever.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tpoles95 – Member
    See she came in short notice to look at a problem with moisture below window sill otherwise i would of had bit more time to prepare and maybe take it to work with me. The bike is spotless. I specifically cleaned the tyres etc so would have that problem.

funny you should say about damages because she did have the last tenant who was a middle aged professional who actually burnt a patch on the carpet. although a spotless bike is more of an issue

I think maybe ill explain to her the value, not viable to keep anywhere else. and say that i will keep it clean, off her carpets then if there is any damages to the property i will accept full responsibility (pretty sure won’t be though) even though not in tenancy agreement it will keep the peace hopefully somewhat as a compromise. the fact she refers to it as not living like an adult and like a student seems irrelevant (although I’m only 22 so its expected the house will look like a relatively young person lives there due to the possessions in it).

One thing I’ve learnt in contracts (both in and out of work) is offer NOTHING and say the very least you can get away with.

If you offer to keep it clean – she’ll have a stricter definition
    You offer to keep it off the carpet – any mark on the carpet and you’ll be paying for a new one.
    You offer to keep it in a bag – she’ll have to come round at some point to fix a leak and it won’t be, and you’ll now be in breach of your contract because you added a pointless clause to it about bikes in bags which you didn’t have to.

Unless she brings it up again in the future, say nothing (but I’d put it in a bag anyway), be polite but firm if she does say anything.

You have a flat, a bike, and a contract that says nothing about the interaction of the two. You’ve won, arguing with her will only result in something closer to losing. A negotiation at this point would be “I’ll keep it in a bag in return for £50 a month off my rent for the inconvenience”. I’m being facetious and you’ll get nowhere with that, but it’s less daft than giving away what you’ve already got.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘keeping landlord happy with mountain bikes in your flat….’ is closed to new replies.