Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • keeping healthy. or not!
  • ton

since I got my electrical problem sorted I have felt pretty poorly still. one thing after another, bad case of vomiting/trots, cough/cold I cant shake off, and this week bloody shingles.
    pretty pissed off to be honest, I thought I was gonna be ggod to go.

is there a diet out there that aids wellbeing? or some pills maybe. anything really.

scotroutes

And I’ve had Lymes Disease and a broken rib. Stop feeling sorry for yourself ya big jessie.

geoffj

Are you still iDaving Ton?
    If so, it might be worth reconsidering it.

ton

😆

not strictly geoff

Jamie
    Free Member

How does one even know they have Lyme disease?

benji
    Free Member

When they can’t stop thinking about Lemons. 😆

brakes
    Free Member

stop drinking mucky beer (as my Nan calls it)

ton

stop drinking mucky beer (as my Nan calls it)

I only have a few on a Saturday now. cut it right back.

grizedaleforest

is there a diet out there that aids wellbeing? or some pills maybe. anything really.

A “Healthy” diet, but I bet you knew that! Having been in similar place a while back, I did find the discipline of a sensible healthy diet and regular exercise (god how boring that sounds) was helpful – but I’m convinced it was as much the discipline that helped. Alternatively, many years ago I worked in west africa and my staff swore that having a haircut was the way to fix any ills. What have you got to lose?!

ton

my diet is good and healthy and I cycle every day.

fasthaggis

Can be a tough one to diagnose properly.
    My uncle has it,horrible disease
    Some Lyme symptoms

mrjmt
    Free Member

ton – Member
    my diet is good and healthy and I cycle every day.

ton – Member
    I sometime think that people will think I am telling fibs when I post what I have just eaten on here.
    but folk who konow me will know I aint a fibber, so here goes.
    breakfast in a box from the finest in leeds, Murrell in armley.

2 sausage, 1 egg, 2 bacon, 2 black pud, 2 spam, 1 burger, mushrooms, beans, toms, 2 fried bread.

but it was awesome.

😯

zbonty

Wholemeal fried slice?

ton

and that meal once a week, when cycling 150/200 miles a week is a bad thing?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

a PROPER nutritional ketone diet Ton, its your answer whether you like the pies n beer or not.
    its hard at the start and even more difficult to get IT just right, but when you do its Up Up and away 😉
    great for weight loss and performance gains, once through the transition period your body normalises and it becomes much easier and health beneficial.

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/

zilog6128

iDiet is about weight, not health. The calories in a meal like that aren’t going to be a problem but that doesn’t mean it’s any good for you (especially if bought from a caff using no doubt the cheapest ingredients/cooking oil).

The thing that actually put me off doing the iDiet after 4 months was actually the cheat days: it was getting to be a struggle (and made me feel physically ill) to cram my face full of crap food for a day after eating healthily all week!

mrjmt
    Free Member

You could start thinking of your calories as pocket money.

You get your allowance each day to spend on what you want. Try to ensure that you spend it on nutritionally dense and balanced foods (‘good value for money’).

Eating empty carbs / high fat low nutrient foods is like putting your allowance down the drain.

Save a little a few days for a treat, but something like that breakfast will blow a lot of your allowance with little to show for it.

iainc

perhaps combination of age, trauma your body has been through, weight, diet. Surely no one thing will fix it ? You do loads of riding, but a fair amount of eating and drinking 🙂 . Just think how youd be if you werent exercising on the bike !!

Would probably take months after adjusting calorie input, the right things more, the bad things less, to see significant change IMO

ton

and by the way, this post was about feeling ill, not my diet, which I am happy with, and maintaining a good weight with.

once saw a thing about a detox juice diet, which helped a poorly bloke get better. anyone tried anything like that?

iainc

this post was about feeling ill, not my diet

yeah, but ‘you are what you eat’ …. I have no right to get on a pedestal on this though 🙂

ton

please add ‘now depressed’ to my list of problems………… 😉

fasthaggis

Keeping healthy

It’s blinkin hard work at times,more so as you get older.

You just need a few tweaks and some fine tuning Ton 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Sometimes these things seem to come along all at once.

Next summer you’ll be right-as and riding epics on your bike 🙂

iainc

ton – Member
    please add ‘now depressed’ to my list of problems…………

….aye, but look at what you’ve been through, dont be too hard on yourself FFS 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

half of that meal would leave me feeling shite for days.

(but yes, i would enjoy eating it, pass the brown sauce please!)

rsvktm

Ton

Sorry to hear not going well but your body has had a right kicking this year, brother is in a similar position having had a double heart bypass at 50 6 months ago. From reading how well you have been doing and getting on a bike so soon, could it just be that you need more rest ? My brother did too much too soon and suffered for it, no real backup re after care about what a fairly fit active cyclist could and should do (his heart issue was virus related).

ton

rsvktm,
    I was beginning to wonder if I just need some rest to be honest.
    got some time off over xmas, might spend it watching crappy tv rather that being as strict as I have with the riding.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to come off the gas a bit Ton and cut back the miles for a bit,it could be you’re overdoing it so soon after surgery .I wouldn’t put too much store in the diet thing.O quote my GP unless your diet is absolutely atrocious-which it isn’t, it could only account for a small effect on your general well-being

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Unless you eat too many potato’s.

IHN

I was beginning to wonder if I just need some rest to be honest.

It’s something that is often overlooked, but very important. Rest is not a four-letter word 🙂

jambourgie
    Free Member
    MoreCashThanDash

My immediate reaction was that you may be overdoing it. All that mileage, after what you’ve been through, may just be stressing your immune system too much. A mate of mine has a similar problem, feels better, pushes too hard, gets a bug he can’t shift and then back to square one. You need one easier week a month, maybe an extra couple of rest days to halve your weekly mileage

Edukator
    Free Member

There are plenty of iDave threads in the archives but I’ll use three lines to remind you that any diet that outlaws fruit (which was one of the first points in the iDave diet) is likely to be an unhealthy fad diet. An that breakfast is poison.

scotroutes

The herpes/shingles thing typically happens if your body is already low and stressed so it may well be related to the fact that you’re doing too much when otherwise already a bit ill with a cold or whatever. There’s no point toughing it out every day by cycling everywhere if that’s just making you even more ill. Take a break from it, or at least reduce it significantly until you are feeling better.

Oh – and basically what’s already been said about diet. And beer.

martinhutch

I’d be inclined to come off the gas a bit Ton and cut back the miles for a bit,it could be you’re overdoing it so soon after surgery

This. Shingles can pop up because you’re basically totally run down and your immune system is a bit screwed as a result. Rest and good diet might perk you up a bit.

In your position I’d chat it around with your GP though.

jota180
    Free Member

The single most influential thing on my well-being and feeling fit is sleep and rest.
    Even if I’ve had a crap week with exercise and diet, good rest seems to trump everything. When I manage to eat and exercise right and get good rest, I feel supercharged.

rsvktm

I’ve managed to convince my brother to rest and chill out over winter and promised him a Scotland trip next year if he’s a good boy..
    He was exactly the same, thought right I’m fixed now going to get back to where I was, NOW. Unfortunately if takes time, none of us getting any younger without any other issues being taking into account.
    Take it easy Tony and hope the New Year brings better health, better to be slightly less fit but healthy.
    All the best
    Peter

ekul
    Free Member

Probably is a result of the operation weakening the immune system. Was talking to a woman from work who recently donated a kidney to her brother and she was saying it’s really given her immune system a kicking. She said the surgeon never mentioned it but when she spoke to her gp, they advised it was most likely as a result of the surgery and that after major surgery it can take 6-12 months to fully recover. Unfortunately with two young children bringing all sorts home with them she’s caught all sorts of little bugs.

As others have said speak to your gp in the first instance and get some rest!

vickypea
    Free Member

Hi ton, I was thinking of starting a similar-ish thread myself 🙂
    You may remember that I also had major surgery this year (spine surgery in September) and I was unprepared for the kicking it’s given me. I’ve been eating healthily and I’ve been out doing lots of walking every day, but I get so utterly exhausted at times, that I can barely speak! I had vertigo one week (I think a virus causing vertigo was circulating at the time) and am just shaking off a cough and cold that I’ve had for a fortnight.

I’ve been back at work for 4 weeks and I think that knocked me for 6. People keep wondering why surgery to my spine should make me so tired but it does!

By the way, detox diets are a load of codswallop. Just make sure you’re eating a balanced diet with lots of vegetables, and plenty of sleep.

Jamz
    Free Member

The vast majority of people have terrible diets, even the ‘healthy’ ones are almost certainly lacking in some important areas. If you want to know how to eat properly, read “Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon and build on what you learn from it. I’d say its probably the most important book I’ve ever read.

Nourishing Traditions

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘keeping healthy. or not!’ is closed to new replies.