Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • keeping fit when away from home?
  • magowen100
    Free Member

I travel a bit with work and really miss being able to cycle and swim to keep fit when I’m in a hotel. I hate the gym and don’t run – any other suggestions for sports that fit into cabin luggage?
    Cheers Matt

trail_rat
    Free Member

I rarely use the gym , how ever body weight exercises can be done in your room

edhornby

Municipal swimming pool? The answer really is to embrace running

bearnecessities

Parkour?

holmesy
    Free Member

I used to struggle with this – but have managed to start enjoying running. Really enjoy randomly running around strange places and helps me find the nice parts for when I go out for a beer later 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yep, running.

olddog

Running is your best bet tbh. I wasn’t a big fan, but after spending 2/3 nights a week in London in my last job it was the only real option. I actually got into it in the end, and central London is a pretty interesting place to run around. Cuts down on time spent eating take-away and drinking beer in hotel room too.

cdaimers

I am away 3 days per week at the moment and after a day spent in other people’s offices, in the car, train or out on a construction site, I find that I do stretches and some light work out in the hotel room. I also go for a walks as running ain’t for me. I regularly stay up north in Inverness and stay at a b&b on the outskirts and walk into town for food etc or if I am in big London village I find myself walking back from Moorgate to kings cross which is a good hours walk at the end of the day.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to dislike running but I’ve learned to find a certain satisfactiion to it. Perfect for when I’m working away but the acret is to keep it up while your at home as well so it’s always familiar. Getting back into running is far more unpleasant than regular running.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Running for aerobic I’m afraid. For in the hotel room I take some resistance bands. Squats (various), burpees, and then plenty of options for the arms / shoulders. Bicycle or vee sits for the abs. Takes more motivation than going for a run though I find. Another option is yoga.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

If you are staying in larger towns and cities it may be worth giving BMF a go !
    google british military fitness.

redthunder
    Free Member

You need to find a copy of the Navy Seal Fitness Guide 🙂

A motel room is much the same as a submarine….they are both dives 😉

^^new joke, good init 🙂

Caher

what about a Bodylastics kit from say Amazon?

magowen100
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all – it looks like I may have to start running. I don’t like gyms as they’re indoors so while the suggestions of stuff to do in the hotel room are good it’s the indoor bit I’m trying to avoid. The travel is worldwide rather than UK so while I try and stay in hotels with pools I sometimes don’t have a choice.
    Suggestions from others have been nordic walking and roller-skis which are really popular out here in Norway.

yetidave
    Free Member

Indoor climbing. Helps core, stamina and balance.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Google TRX suspension Training, buy one and get amongst it.
    “make your body your machine”

molgrips
    Free Member

Where are you staying?

I’ve always managed to take my bike or at the very least running shoes. Usually bike though.

EDIT just read the worldwide part.

However if you’re a regular in one place take a bike in a bag. Especially if it’s Norway 🙂

Kryton57

trail_rat – Member
    I rarely use the gym , how ever body weight exercises can be done in your room

This, and you can stick a Kettlebell or two in your car if driving.

djglover
    Free Member

Running, I travel pretty much weekly and choose a hotel near some descent running, I took the bike on 1 out of the last 100 or more business trips!

seadog101

Good quality skipping rope. Leather, bearings, 500grm weights in the handles. Hard work to get the hang of it, but persevere over a week or two. Also, cut the rope down to the right size (ie, cut it by 1/2″ a time until it stops feeling too long).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A good hour a night in front of babestation?

DezB
    Free Member

Boredom, frowning and dry heaving make for a good workout?

lucien

Boredom, frowning and dry heaving make for a good workout?

It only works with one arm at a time though………

smogmonster

OP, Im in the same boat, i spend 6-7 months a year away on rigs in Australia. I do a lot of stationary bike work, and also i do ‘Insanity’ – the workout thats on the telly all the time. Its monstrously hard work but it really kicks you into shape…just stick it on a tablet or laptop and take it with you. I take it up on the Helideck to be laughed at as i die in 35C heat 4 nights a week.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I see you’re a regular partaker, Dez.

I use it more as a workout vid, I could crack walnuts I tell ya.

OP – swimming pools all over the shop, I work away a bit, bike in the car whenver i can if not shanks’ pony and cv ‘circuits’ (sit ups press ups gheckobizdids etc)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘keeping fit when away from home?’ is closed to new replies.