Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • keeping chain clean help!
  • crasher
    Free Member

I cant seem to get my chain clean properly and I clean and grease it after most rides! I've even bought a chain cleaning thingy-majig, yet even if it looks clean and then I lube it, itends up with little bits of rust in the links, what am i doing wrong?

warpcow
    Free Member

What kind of oil are you using? Some lighter ones won't even last a whole ride. I just give mine a rub occasionally with an old toothbrush and then slap on some finishline cross-country lube. I've never seen rust on any chain I've owned.

epicyclo

Try Purple Extreme

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah use a good lube and don't panic about cleaning it too much.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

degreaser tends to destroy any fresh lube you put on the chain afterwards.
    Try squirt lube. It's reduced my chain cleaning to rinse-dry-lube-done.

nickc

If you're cleaning the bike after riding, then take the chain off before you wash it, and rinse it in white spirits, wipe off excess, refit to bike, dab of lube on each link, wipe off most. I use finish line wet, tried nearly everything else, just keep coming back to finish line

highclimber
    Free Member

I use the green Finishline stuff on my chain. after every ride I clean the chain and re apply and wipe off excess with a cloth. you don't need oil all over the chain, only on the links.

warpcow
    Free Member

Does that Scottoiler thing work? I remember there were similar things years ago. Me and a friend actually won some design comp. after taking one apart and designing our own 'improved' version. Still didn't set the world on fire 🙂

It looks interesting though, very different to what we did.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘keeping chain clean help!’ is closed to new replies.