• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Keep to the singletrack!
  • neilc1881
    Free Member

Following on from the hotly debated ‘Grannytrap’ thread, I’ve felt the urge to get on my soapbox.

I’ve recently returned from a trip to the states where I’ve ridden some of the best singletrack imaginable. Well maintained and litter-free trails, informed riders based around incredible local scenes with a huge amount of respect for both trail builders (of which most are volunteers) and the environment.

Upon returning I made a quick solitary dash down to Cwmcarn on a miserable Sunday morning (that turned out to be glorious;-). I was appalled by what I rode*. Don’t get me wrong I know that forestry commission trail centres have to abide by a certain degree of legislation and it’s interpretation (e.g. removing the wooden drops/wallride). But the most disappointing element was the inexcusable straight-lining of a huge number of corners, both in ascent and descent. Do people not realise that doing this broadens trails and ultimately creates a fire road? It’s as if riders want to ride a roman road.

I know the boys who work down there put a fair amount of work in, improving and maintaining sections, but to do this is disrespecting both their efforts. Perhaps what is needed is a rocky/log infested border to every trail. That’ll learn ’em.

* I know Trail Centres are not the ‘soul’ of mtbing, but I do like a quick blast round one once in a while.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Keep to the singletrack!’ is closed to new replies.