Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Keep me sane in Corfu with my hardtail
  • madxela
    Free Member

I have voodoo hardtail booked on the plane, staying in paleokastristas, google maps suggest its steep, northern end looks like it could be interesting.

Bit of pootling to see whats happening, and some more adventurous exploring maybe

Any experience/advice to offer?

slugwash
    Free Member

I’m therenow & it’s too hot & humid for mountain biking & I can’t upload an :-)ything to Strava. Sea’sbased activities are where it’s at. HTH

slugwash
    Free Member

^^ Apologies for spelling, etc. Smartphone, big hands & strong sunlight. Not too much retsina?

markfu
    Free Member

I’ve stayed further down the West coast at Aghios Gordios several times. Lots of singletrack in the hills, i’ve never seen a map with any of it on though, and it gets overgrown with the worlds sharpest bushes. I’ve not actually ridden there either, but have done a lot of trail running. There is some very steep, very rocky stuff. If you’re a skilled rider you might be alright. There is a lot that would be beyond most average riders though imo.

There used to a bike shop in Dassia that did tours up to the top of Pantokrator, not sure i’d fancy that in mid-summer.

Look out for snakes when out in the hills, there are lots.

slugwash
    Free Member

Right, now sitting at a proper computer in the shade.

When I’ve gone mountain biking on mountainous Greek islands in the past I’ve got up at 5 or 6 am (when my neighbours are staggering back from the previous night) and got a few hours in before it’s become too hot.

On Corfu, I’ve found trail info much harder to come across than on other islands so it might be worth doing some thorough research before you depart. There might be detailed maps available.

That MTB shop in Dassia is still there and I got a bit of info on riding here from googling and trawling flickr. However, I was going to hire a bike out here but decided that it was too hot for me in the daytime and I wasn’t prepared to get up too early on this holiday so have stuck to a bit of light trail running (and that’s been a bit fookin’ arduous!) Though things might cool down a bit this afternoon as rain might come this way.

Anyway, I’m going to finish my lunch and wander back down through the olive groves for a spot of snorkelling. Have fun 🙂

madxela
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ve done southern spain before, and its definitely an early morning slot to ride/run. Might stick to “roads” rather than truly offroad. Will be taking leg and arm armour just for the spiky bushes though. Snakes is not something I’d thought about!

bimboles
    Free Member

Go and see the guys at S-Bikes in Acharavi, they do mountain bike tours and will probably have some good trail maps. Just hired a cube road bike from them this week, the were very helpful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Keep me sane in Corfu with my hardtail’ is closed to new replies.