Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kayaking – what are the restrictions?
  • dknwhy

Have bought an inflatable kayak for mucking around in over the summer.
    What are the restrictions on using it?
    I’ve seen Mercers Lake in Redhill, Surrey is my closest place. Generally is it ok to just rock up somewhere and use it?

scotroutes

In Englandandwales you are subject to even tighter restrictions than mountain bikers put up with. Note that crossing land to get to/from the water is also a problem.

In Scotland, paddle wherever you want.

sweepy
    Free Member

But we aren’t smug about it 😀

scotroutes

Much

gwaelod
    Free Member

Looks like Wales govt serious about freeing up access to waterways as well judging by that new Natural Resources consultation. However…it’s not here yet.

matt_outandabout

Dknwhy – imagine your response to someone walking into your own back garden and launching on your pond. That’s how law and landowner culture is in England.

Sea is easier, and riskier.

Join a club.

Move to Scotland. Tomorrow I paddle on a nearly empty 7 mile long loch…

Joe

Just do it. Who cares about the law.

epicyclo

Joe – Member
    Just do it. Who cares about the law.

Just look like one of them nasty immigrants and scare them landowners off…

aracer
    Free Member

That depends what interpretation of the law you want to believe. Though in reality it also depends how much hassle you want.

As mentioned above, it is looking like things might change in Wales – it just occurred to me that some rivers with disputed access rights run along the border, which should make for interesting times if they do!

graemecsl
    Free Member

Mercers Lake used to have an RYA set up on it so they’ll probably give you a day rate/license whatever, if you come down this way (M20, Hythe Canal) you’re supposed to have a license but nobody does and you can paddle from Hythe right through to Rye on the Canal. You can probably cowboy the Medway or the Stour in Kent, the entire coastline obviously you can do, but you ought to know about basic safety stuff, like not going out in howling offshore winds, wearing life vests and getting back in/on it if you tip it over.

garage-dweller

Have a look at British Canoeing website. Lots of info for non members (like me)

Membership there also gets you a license for a bunch of non-tidal waters. If we add a canoe to our toys then a family membership will follow.

As I understand it tidal waters are generally unrestricted (subject to launching fees and harbour orders etc.) But be aware if a relative novice that they can carry significantly higher risks than a puddle/non tidal in many cases.

We’re looking at inflatables at the moment but we have access to an estuary / harbour and I have the benefit of having done paddling on tidal rivers in my youth so aware and have previous experience of the exposure/tide risks. I’m still swinging back and forward on the risks / whether I’d rather have a solid boat.

epicyclo

I wouldn’t fancy paddling an inflatable in the sea with any sort of wind or current.

Greybeard
    Free Member

There’s some background on the legal position and arguments to the contrary at

http://www.riveraccessforall.co.uk/

v8ninety

I don’t know about the legalities, but I do know that canoeing from Shrewsbury to Bewdley was both easy, fun, and beautiful. There’s several easy in/out spots on this stretch of the Severn

aracer
    Free Member

No real problems with legality – or more importantly hassle – on that stretch either.

poolman
    Free Member

We got a licence for paddling on the thames but got told off many times for paddling up the tributaries by the home owners whos gardens backed onto them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kayaking – what are the restrictions?’ is closed to new replies.