Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kayaking for beginners
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

My fiance went on an outsidey type course this week (she’s a teacher) and did really well at kayaking – a two man kayak with a colleague.

I’ve tried and failed to get her into cycling before but I think that’s partly because our levels weren’t matched and she didn’t like feeling like a beginner.

Whats the best way to go about kayaking? If we were to buy one, what do we need? How much would we need to spend? Where can you legally kayak in the UK? Can you just rock up to a river, canal or lake or is there somewhere you can go to check?

I think we’d both prefer to hire one and have a go rather than going on a course.

jonba
    Free Member

Whats the best way to go about kayaking?

Join your local club

If we were to buy one, what do we need?

The knowledge to use one safetly (see above). Boat, Paddles, Spraydeck if closed cockpit, Bouyancy aid, helmet (maybe not on the flat/sea). You might also want a wetsuit/drysuit/drycag depending on when you were goign to do it.

How much would we need to spend?

Go have a look on a website. Upandunder, desparate measures, brookbank will give you an idea. Like biking you can spend a lot or a huge amount.

Where can you legally kayak in the UK?

On navigable rivers, some lakes, canals if you are a member of the BCU, the sea? I never really bothered considering the legal merits as I was mainly a whitewater paddler and most of that is not legal.

Can you just rock up to a river, canal or lake or is there somewhere you can go to check?

ukriversguidebook for a guide to rivers.

Canoeing is a dangerous sport, IMO more so than biking. Rivers are dangerous, people die kayaking, I know too many people that have, sometimes on easy rivers.

Joining a club will let you borrow kit and find out about what your local area offers and let you meet new people who will be able to teach you the skills. The British canoe union site will help you find your local club. Ukriversguidebook hasa forum that will answer all of your questions and maybe give a personal recommendation of a club.

meehaja
    Free Member

kayaking is a faff sport, more people makes it easier. Join a club.

Marko

Jonba has summed it up well.

All I can add is that Clubs do vary a lot – some are more Youth and Family orientated, others are more paddle and drink focused. My club runs a once a year beginners course that is very cheap.Club membership (or BCU membership) has many benefits including public liability insurance.

Hth
    Marko

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I think you may well find “two man kayak” is a euphemism.
    As far as I am aware it follows similar diagrams as the Porcine roast.

Would suggest OP has been cuckold and divorce is better course of action than buying a blow moulded watercraft.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Is ‘blow moulded watercraft’ a euphemism too?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Join a club.
    Book yourselves onto their rolling course (probably pool based)
    Book yourselves onto their BCU 1/2/3 star courses as you progress.

druidh
    Free Member

Where can you legally kayak in the UK?

Scotland.

The “land” access laws also apply to all waterways.

mikehow
    Free Member

Like the others have said kayaking is actually quite a dangerous sport.

Best start off with a club, or experienced mates and pick up your skills. Rescues, rolling etc before starting out on your own. Don’t be afraid to invest in a weekend course or skills week.

I’ve done alot of adventure racing, and whilst reasonably proficient in a kayak (BCU 3*) which in theory puts me somewhere at an intermediate level there is still a long way to go even at this stage.

Get out there, have fun. Be safe.

Lifer
    Free Member

Canoeing is a dangerous sport, IMO more so than biking. Rivers are dangerous, people die kayaking, I know too many people that have, sometimes on easy rivers.

This, and it can happen really quick. Go with plenty of people and you have more eyes and that makes it safer.

It’s not really a sport you can just ‘have a go at’ because if you don’t know how to control the boat then you’re going to get into trouble, and if you don’t know what to do when you get into trouble things can go bad.

Also wouldn’t put that much emphasis on rolling until you get into 2* – it just stops you getting wet. Learn the techniques that can stop you getting in a position where you need to roll and get a lot of practise bailing in case you have trouble when you do start rolling.

(Another 3* here)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A rolling course in the pool is a whole heap of fun…

I used to get kids rolling in about half an hour and it’s a massive confidence booster.

*Elapsed BCU Instructor here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kayaking for beginners’ is closed to new replies.