Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Kayak/Canoe kit advice
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

My kids have both started river kayaking with a local club, they are keen and currently use the clubs equipment, boats etc. Now we are planning holidays and want some basic kit and safety equipment.

Any suggestions from paddlers on here as to where to go to buy.
    I want to get them helmets, buoyancy aids and cags to start and would prefer to get good quality used kit rather than new?

Also any forums along the lines of STW for paddlers which are worth a browse?

Thanks

Rich

jonba
    Free Member

ukriversguidebook

I would buy a new bouyancy aid and helmet as they are fairly important bits of kit.

I wouldn’t buy a deck unless you have a boat as if you are borrowing boats then they often have different size cockpits. Unless you are a kid hoarder like me then you can get a keyhole, riot, polo and slalom deck!

I would probably suggest you get a nice thick long john wetsuit (like dungarees). Go second hand, doesn’t neet to be a kayaking brand.

Cag I would go for either adjustable or simple neoprene seals. Latex is better for keeping you dry but requires care and is harder to get on and off.

There are loads of brands out there but I’ve always rated Palm. If you just want stuff for pootling about on easy rivers and lakes then chillcheater stuff might be appropriate and cheap. There cags are good too but pricey for kids stuff. They do a range of thermal tops which are good enough for warm weather use.

online shops include deperate measures, up and under, brookbank.

If they are going to keep going through winter outdoors then consider a set of pogies or gloves to keep the hands warm (used to hate freezing hands as a kid) and maybe a neoprene cap for under the helmet. Simple fleeces and synthetic tops for under the cag.

jam-bo

Unless you are a kid hoarder like me

😯

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Jonba, thanks
    Rich

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Kayak/Canoe kit advice’ is closed to new replies.