Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kayak on ebay advice please.
  • grim168
    Free Member

Hi, just spotted this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rivermaster-kayak-/200560655198?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_CanoesKayaks_Rafts_SM&hash=item2eb258bb5e I fancy a try and this seems to fit the bill.
    I know nothing about kayaks but don’t want to spend a lot to see if I like it. I was looking for something like a dagger approach secondhand but they seem to hold their money quite well. Thanks in advance,
    Graham

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Get yourself along to a kayak club- much better way to get into the sport i’d say.

jam-bo

Uk rivers

Try here for advice and some good classifieds.

Jamie
    Free Member

Get yourself along to a kayak club- much better way to get into the sport i’d say.

This. I went along to my local club and they lent me all the gear, inc kayak, for the first couple of weeks. Then I think it was £5 a time or something, but decided it wasn’t for me.

In that time though I did fall out on some rapids, and it was helpful/safer that their were experienced people there with me.

grim168
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Had a demo last summer at brookbank canoes on the lune in Lancaster and enjoyed it. can’t afford much and don’t want to really get into it but thought it might make a change now and again. Plus I live next to a local canal so could paddle in the summer at night too and a bit more exercise wouldn’t go amiss 😀

Lionheart
    Free Member

I would not bother with that one. As already said I would get your self to the local kayak club, they will lend , people will lend you and point you in the way of the right kit. Like bikes there are so many variations of kayaking and then so many boats. As per the previous post once you know what sort of thing you are after go to UK rivers for a second hand one to start. Good luck and have a great time with it.
    well worth a look
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kayaking-Canoeing-Beginners-Bill-Mattos/dp/1842159798/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293983061&sr=1-3

matt_outandabout

Where are you grim?

grim168
    Free Member

I’m in Preston Mat.

jonb
    Free Member

What canoe club did you go to? I paddled with Bolton A few years ago. They met at a reservoir near rivington and in winter at Farnworth pool. They are a good club catering for lots of interests. Nice and big too which means there will be some people who like what you like.

Failing that have a look at Brookbank canoes in Stockport.

meehaja
    Free Member

join a club. Canals get really boring really fast (worse than a turbo trainer) and then you’re stuck with a big kayak taking up room. Bear in mind you will also need a lot of other gear, which is best tried for fit and comfort etc, it really is the best way to go, you’l also paddle more interesting and challenging stuff in the safety of a group. to me, this is the ultimate way to do it from time to time rather than committing to buying a boat?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kayak on ebay advice please.’ is closed to new replies.