Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Karate monkey opinions please
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Thinking of one of these s a winter bike, opinions greatly received

Alini
    Free Member

IMO one of those rare bikes where it really does excel in a “more than the sum of its parts” kinda way.

Very versatile frame set, great fun.

I chose to build up a frame rather than go for full bike as I don’t think RRP for the bike represents VFM.

Dansk1

Just got one. Running rigid ss and it’s brilliant – best bmx I never had. Quick twitchy steering is fun.

Steel + tubeless on wide rims surprisingly comfortable. I’ve mashed pedals hard enough to hear brake rub so it must be pretty bendy.

Downsides are track ends are a pain – already swapped to hex skewers to stop wheel slip, but dependent on dropout choice. Suppose it’s also a bit retro in terms of geometry and skinny seatpost, but no issue for me as it’s not main bike anyway.

Only had it a week, but would definitely recommend.

takisawa2

The one I tried weighed a bloody tonne & was too stiff. I bought a SIR.9 instead.

Bregante

Loved mine and only sold it because I couldn’t justify two mountain bikes along with a road bike and a cx bike. Not the lightest and pretty stiff (haven’t you just sold a Sherpa due to back issues? ) but if I had the cash and the space I’d have another in a shot.

In singlespeed mode

Geared 29+

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Bought a second hand frameset off here for £150 about 10 years ago, and it’s been my favourite bike ever since. Mostly set up as a rigid SS, switched to 29+ on the front a few years back. Considering a Jones+ to replace it, but I’ll keep the ‘monkey as its so versatile. I’ll do Lejog on it one day as it’s easy to set up as a tourer, mines even got Pannier braze-ons courtesy of the previous owner.
    Others are lighter/flexier/more focussed but the ‘monkey is a great WYSIWYG bike that’ll just get on and do the job

superstu
    Free Member

Think they’re fantastic, have borrowed one and loved it (ss). Great bike IMO

fudge9202
    Free Member

Bregante , yes I did but read a review that the frame soaks up quite a lot from the trail, forgot to mention it’s the ops version I was thinking of that can run a front fork.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I would have thought it would ride harsher that the Sherpa that you didn’t get on with?

coomber
    Free Member

Ihave bregantes km pictured above. Running it ss and its all i’ve ridden recently. First bike i’ve enjoyed singlespeed.

Absolutely love it. Horizontal dropouts a bit fiddly to take wheels off but then EBB can slip so not much of an issue. And not if running tubeless.

Its no lightweight but pretty much perfect winter bike material.

Bregante

Nice to hear that you’re putting it to good use coomber 😀

coomber
    Free Member

Bregante – Member
    Nice to hear that you’re putting it to good use coomber

Yes fella! Was going to email you to tell you how good it is but gathered you would know that already. I absolutely love it. It is a really fun bike, and for the riding I do, it’s pretty much perfect. So glad I took the plunge on it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Had one since 2010. I keep meaning to break it up and use the parts to build another bike but for some reason never quite get around to it. Its heavy, tough as old boots and rather low tech (mine is the old model that could still take V brakes). Its also not the prettiest of bikes but it does the job I ask of it well and just keeps on rolling. Its currently built up as a sort of heavy duty hybrid, gravel riding ugly as sin winter road bike (yes really).

When I do finally get around to stripping it down I know that I’ll only rebuild the damn thing as something else; its just one of those frames.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Karate monkey opinions please’ is closed to new replies.