• This topic has 45 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Kames, Scotland. What do/ see and which bike to take?
  • HansRey

i’m going to a wedding near to Kames in Scotland next month and I’ve booked a room for a week.

I’m planning to take a bike but I’m not sure which one. Should i take a mtb or a roadbike? Is there anything that the stw masses recommended i see/ do/ ride?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ignore that as it’s probably the other kames as no one would have a wedding in muirkirk 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Kames, Ayrshire or Kames, Argyll?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is this where the op finds out he’s booked a room at the wrong Kames 🙂

matt_outandabout

😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s Kames in Argyll, Dunoon is about 45 mins drive, plenty good riding there, round of SES was there 2 weeks ago.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Good road loop from Tighnabruiach to Strachur via Glendaruel and back via Loch Fyne.

HansRey

ahh, Argyll! The groom booked the accomodation 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Lucky escape 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

In saying that, Kames (Ayrshire) has Cairn Table, which is an interesting climb by MTB by the time you’ve negotiated the swampy bits at the bottom.

The downside is that its Ayrshire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In saying that, Kames (Ayrshire) has Cairn Table, which is an interesting climb by MTB by the time you’ve negotiated the swampy bits at the bottom.

Is it bollocks, it’s utter shite.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The downside is that its Ayrshire.

The upside is that the six fingered, one eyed, banjo stylings of someones’ Uncle Dad are truly a sight for the tourist to behold. 😉

iainc

Road – this is a couple of miles along to the north 🙂

and without the MAMIL clutter 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The upside is that the six fingered, one eyed, banjo stylings of someones’ Uncle Dad are truly a sight for the tourist to behold.

Right ye are, away back to yer paedo-infested street! 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbf, there is probably much better road options in that area of Argyll, than MTB.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is that the best ye’ve got?

Back in the fridge with ye, Nobber. 🙂

matt_outandabout

Argyll is so on my ‘must tour one day’ list…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Argyll?…… in July?

Full midge protection is advised.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Back in the fridge with ye, Nobber.

Well, you get a bit touchy when folk say your wee toons a shitehole…. 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

It is a paedo infested shitehole……but it’s MY shitehole. 🙂

iainc

vmgscot

I agree with Nobeer re Cairn Table.
    There’s the old drovers road between Muirkirk/Sanquhar.
    Oh wait…it’s not the local Kames after all….I’m off to practice my banjo….here piggy piggy

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ah, iainc has arrived……I assume this is the point at which the North Lanarkshire and Ayrshire teams forget their mutual emnity and get tore right in about the savages from the strange land on the hill sandwiched between our two great nations?

iainc

aye 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s the old drovers road between Muirkirk/Sanquhar

Yeh I suggested that in my first post but deleted it. I realised it must be the other Kames as no one from Muirkirk gets married, what with them already being family.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nice part of the world, no much to do mind, Tignabruich has a pub or 2, there’s a marina over at Portavadie, there’s also an old abandoned ghost village just to the south over at Portavadie, called Polphail never been though, and tbh not sure if still there, i’d imagine so.

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/polphail-the-ghost-village-at-portavadie-argyll__o_t__t_1500.html

Getting the ferry over to tarbert is alright, nice wee town and you can take a wee walk up to the old castle too. Was some sort of gala day on when i was there, which was good fun, so probably much busier then usual.

That’s about the extent of my knowledge of the part of the world though. Guessing you’ll be able to cobbler some offroad stuff together the kintyre way and the the cowal way, plus there plenty of forest track to explore if you look on the OS map, never done them though, plenty of road riding about there.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

My granny lived in nearby Tighnabruaich for years. I spent many a week in the summer palmed off up there for free babysitting.

When the weather’s great, it’s great.

Ostel Bay nearby is worth a visit. One of the most beautiful beaches you’ll ever see:

Check out Argyll’s Secret Coast for more up-to-date info than I would be able to provide.

On a road bike, a loop of the Cowal peninsula would be good.

Off road, there’s a classic route at Auchendrain which is not a million miles away, which any GMBC-ers on the board might be able to help you flesh out the details of.

cbike
    Free Member

5 ferries cycle route, cowal way, swimming at portavadie ifinty pool and posh restaurant, walk to the beach overlooking Arran, Bute has mount Stuart, a castle, ice-cream, climb goatfell on Arran, eat cheese and whisky, standing stones, visit tarbert, kintyre, go on paddle steamer Waverley…

Gary_M
    Free Member

there’s a marina over at Portavadie, there’s also an old abandoned ghost village just to the south over at Portavadie

Marina is nice for lunch. By the abandoned village do you mean the concrete accommodation ‘village’ that was built for oil rig construction workers in the 1970’s but never used?

There’s also a nice pub up the road from Portavadie, the Kilfinan Hotel, at Kilfinan funnily enough.

kcal
    seosamh77
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    By the abandoned village do you mean the concrete accommodation ‘village’ that was built for oil workers in the 1970’s but never used?

Aye that’s the one, I’ve never been, nor do I even know if it’d be interesting for a walk around or not, just always thought it might waste half an hour sometime and be of interest. Tbh don’t even know if you’d be allowed in.

I’m not doing well here am I? 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

Aye that’s the one, I’ve never been, nor do I even know if it’d be interesting for a walk around or not, just always thought it might waste half another sometime and be off interest. Tbh don’t even know if you’d be allowed in

There’s nothing to stop you going in. We had a wander round after going to the marina for lunch, it’s alright if you’re into 1970’s concrete 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    There’s nothing to stop you going in. We had a wander round after going to the marina for lunch, it’s alright if you’re into 1970’s concrete

Ah. cool, I’ll take that is something to maybe visit if you’re there, but not worth travelling to!

HansRey

some good suggestions here. The abandoned village sounds like a good place to take the trials bike. So, i’ll be taking three bikes…

Has anybody been sea kayaking round there?

iainc

there’s loads of great paddling round there – if you pop in the sea at Kames and head north a mile you get to the Kyles of Bute – lots of great wee rocky bays, all very sheltered – a bit tidal but easy to get in back eddys when required.

(not a paddler, but have sailed in the area for 40 years 🙂 )

km79
    Free Member

If you are going out for a paddle take a wee fishing rod for some mackerel. There should be plenty of them about as well as places to pull in for a cook up over a fire.

HansRey

mackerel, brilliant!

Is there anywhere to hire a kayak and rods? I haven’t kayaked in about 12 years

km79
    Free Member

You could try the clubs linked below. The Argyll Sea Kayaking Trail passes Kames so you may get something to hire nearby.

http://www.paddleargyll.org.uk/clubs.html

Failling that Tiso in Glasgow will hire you one if you are passing on the way there.

http://www.tiso.com/hire

Don’t know anywhere who hire fishing rods but you can get something suitable for not a lot of money new or second hand.

Glasgow Angling Centre, couple mins away from Tiso.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For mackerel, but the cheapest spinning kit you can find, will be ample for the sea rats.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Kames, Scotland. What do/ see and which bike to take?’ is closed to new replies.