Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kaffenback or London Road frameset?
  • rocco

I’m not allowed another bike, due to space issues, and want a dedicated winter/commute bike so was thinking of getting either a London Road or Kaffenback frameset and with a new set of wheels and transfer all the parts from my old commuter across. So with only £50 difference which would be the best bet? The LR comes with a carbon fork and pannier and guard mounts on the back, compared with only one set of mounts on the Kaffenback.

Or anything else to look at for around £200?

shermer75
    Free Member

Unless you want a size small all the London Roads have gone back up to £299

shermer75
    Free Member

If you can trawl through it there’s some info about a couple of issues with the London Road on this thread. It seems to mostly boil down to the seat tube (internal diameter being wider than stated) and the head set (quite a particular specification that doesn’t leave much choice). There’s a lot of people who are pleased with theirs though.

rocco

Bollox! Looks like it will be a Kaffenback then. I’ve read the LR thread and was happy to give it a go, but not sure bows it’s gone back to double the Kaffenback

lunge

I have a Kaff, it is a wonderfully versatile and strong frame. It is also full, dull, dull to ride, it brings little or no joy to me on the road, though it’s pretty good fun for light off road duties.

shermer75
    Free Member

I always thought that ‘Tea and Coffee’ design looks really good

cookeaa

One of the LR owners who was happy with the frame. But I wouldn’t pay more than the £150 for it. Kaffenback will make an excellent winter commuter / tourer. Plus seatpost and headset are more likely to fit properly…

tinribz
    Free Member

Love my Kaffenback. Tourer, hub geared, flat barred, fat tyres, skinny tyres. Every time feels like a new bike. Went single speed at the weekend just waiting for the bullhorns to be delivered for my about town and commuting incarnation.

rocco

So how to run proper guards and a rack on the Kaffenback at the same time with only one set of mount holes?

tinribz
    Free Member

Recently put on full guards, presumably a longer bolt will let you use the same hole, the disc racks have spacers anyway.

rocco

Perfect, think a frame will be ordered tomorrow 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

I like the Kaf, although I thought tyre clearance was quite limited?

marvincooper

My XL Kaff II frame and fork are about to go up for sale. Just saying 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

What wheels are you going for?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

What size Kaff and what colour are you looking for?
    I have one going if you’re after a medium…

Planet X Kaffenback 2012 model
    Steel 54cm (Medium), also has has interchangeable rear drop-outs so can be run geared or single speed

Generally very good condition but a bit of paint missing from around the seat tube where it’s been held too tightly in a work stand.
    Bought from this forum for a touring project that’s been shelved.
    £70

Pictures of all the above on – http://1drv.ms/1DurIoJ

also

Surly Cross Check 700c forks
    Black 700c road/cyclo cross forks – v.good condition, long steerer, but not measured.
    £35
    Bought from this forum to go with the Kaffenback, but project shelved.
    Apologies to original seller for using their photos, but they’re still on:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback or London Road frameset?’ is closed to new replies.