Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kaffenback double duty?
  • wassertreter
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a new commuter/do-it-all bike finally. Since I can only have one (more) bike, and it should be affordable, I’m wondering if the Kaffenback could serve as a 700C utility rig with fenders and possibly a rear rack in the city, as well as for some longer rough/rocky weekend gravel rides, with fat 650b rubber? Those rides require navigating a bit of single trail every now and then, to link up gravel roads creatively.

Also looking at the Cotic X, which now has the mounts, but since I have most of the parts, including fork and wheelsets, the Kaff would be easier on the wallet.

rob2
    Free Member

I think you can get an x as just a frame if you need to although its not advertised as frame only.

I’ve got an x but I think I’d go for the kaff as whilst its very good I’m not convinced its £200 better

Bazz

In my opinion the frame is definitely capable, just how fat is the 650b rubber though? Tyre clearence is pretty good on the Kaff but it has it’s limits.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Kaff copes well with rougher stuff in my experience.

tony_m
    Free Member

A Kaff should indeed do the job well, but as Bazz says watch the tyre clearance. I’ve run 700x32c Marathons without mudguards, and 700x30c CX Comps with mudguards on mine, but reckon it would struggle with more than that. That said, mine’s an older one, and they reckon the new version will handle 35c ‘cross tyres.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Currently running a X and a Kaff. 35mmm road tyres won’t fir the Kaff. Its the old coffee and cream version. Bet they havne’t changed mcuh though.
    To be honest the Kaff is a nice bike.

wassertreter
    Free Member

The other idea would be approaching the “monstercross” from the MTB side of things, with a, say, Inbred. Any thoughts on that?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback double duty?’ is closed to new replies.