Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Kaffenback alternatives?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Quite like the look of the £800 Kaffenback with disc brakes, 2×10, etc for touring, commuting, easy road rides

Any alternatives I should be looking at?

Stoner
    Free Member

Id ask them to stick the build on a pompetamine instead 🙂

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Why?

AlexSimon

Pinnacle Arkose?

Bazz

Cotics new offerings spring to mind, as does the Surly Straggler/cross check or the inevitable Croix de Fer, however all will be more expensive than a Kaff.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cotics new offerings spring to mind, as does the Surly Straggler/cross check or the inevitable Croix de Fer, however all will be more expensive than a Kaff.

Yup, also Salsa Vaya etc.. and again, over budget, but well worth looking at.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

EDIT:

Wrong, non Kaffenback related nonsense from the wrong thread. Sorry

sandwicheater

I’d love a dedicated commuter/tourer and when I’ve some spare cash think that’s my first purchase.

My hunting has taken me to the Kaff aswell and these two;

Raleigh Royal – http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/61109/Raleigh_Royal_2014_Bike_ROY55BLU?gclid=CJ2FpfDJnL0CFTTItAodmj0Alg

Revolution Country Traveller – http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-traveller-13

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m bound to say a Vaya. Keep your eyes on the classifieds and you should be able to find a frame. I found one on here and had a stash of bits to build it up with. It cost a good deal less than £800

saladdodger
    Free Member

I still ride a 12 year old Kaff and I still love it

But if I was in the market now I would look at the new Cotic

slimjim78
    Free Member

Another vote for the Escapade here.

I ride a Pompetamine and really enjoy it, she’s a heavy old bird though and a bit twitchy at 30mph+

I’ll soon be swapping all my bits to an Escapade frame, looks right up my alley

Stoner
    Free Member

jamesgarbett – Member
    Why?

Extra rear clearance for 35c+ tyres, slotted drop outs for versatility (SS/Alfine/gears) although I confess you would need to add a gear hanger adaptor to the track end for dérailleur. It’s a pity they never produced the pompetamine with the swapouts really.

The only difference more than a gnats finger between them is the ETT length on the kaffenback is 1cm longer.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got an older Kaff and Cotic X. I would buy another Kaff over the X any day even though its supposedly the cheaper version. Just nicer to ride even though the x has the carbon fork. I have the cynical feeling that both are just modern gas pipe so why pay a premium for the same thing.
    You won’t beat the Kaff for value.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Having owned a Pompetamine, which AFAIK uses the same tubeset as the Kaff, I wouldn’t spend the extra on a Salsa etc equivalent, no way, unless you just wanted the niceness/badge.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looking at the fork on the Escapade I get the impression that it would be hard to mount mudguards around the calliper

shermer75
    Free Member

And the Kaffenback for that matter. Am I missing something here? Do you use spacers or something?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Think I may sell my charge plug and Ridley cx bike for a kaffenback. Would tick all the boxes.

marvincooper

Mounting a SKS mudguard to my Kaff (disc) fork was dead easy, just bend the stay. No spacers required.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ah, fair enough…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.