• This topic has 280 replies, 92 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Alek.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)
  • K100 updates?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Feel broken today.

Got round in 11hrs 3 mins which is half an hour faster than last year and 118th overall. Solid mid-table mediocrity! Actually, it may be well into the upper half of the finishers but I'll have to wait until the results are published.

Felt really good in the first third, despite having had a bastarding head-cold last week; however it caught up with me on the section across the border and down into Newcastleton. Spent far too long stuffing my face with soup, tuna rolls and coke then felt a bit naseous on the relatively easy section back across the border.

The last twenty miles felt ok energy-wise but I was having trouble with my achilles tendon which was getting more and more painful with each pedal stroke. The last "6 1/2" miles are just utter torture but I got chatting to an Irish lad and the miles passed quickly enough.

No mechanicals all day – bike was absolutely perfect.

Very relieved to get to the finish – everything hurts today!

Kahurangi

I think I missed my top 50 target finish and my sub 10-hr time.

My guts were a rotten mess after Newcastleton. Not stictches but really painful. I tried a couple of times to go easy, stop and breathe deeply, but it wasn't stitched so didn;t work. Had a lie down for 10 minutes, which fixed me for a short while 😆 . Got it again and had another lie down. Lost maybe 20 riders going past?

Tried to eat another gel with 10 miles to go but got bad stomach again and had to MTFU through to the finish. So all in, I drank maybe 2 litres of water and a dozen gels and bars.

Legs had a load more left in them too, just couldn't push it 👿 Gotta go for sub 9 hrs next year.

Finished about 60th in 10:10.

I clocked 105 miles too.

Kahurangi

I just need to add

THOSE B*STARD MIDGES

\rant.

matth75
    Free Member

Feeling fatigued today, despite all recovery drinks (more accellerade, anyone?)&/because of the beer 😀 . 11:35hrs was as much as I think I could have done this time, but next year I'll definitely put more hours on the bike. Thought course was good with some fantastic 'hidden' sections, having ridden Kielder trails before knowing that the Lonesome Pine climb was coming after my speedo said 100mi just finished me off!
    Just have to say a big tanks to JonB, without whom I don't think I'd even have got around, how any of you managed to do it on your own I have no idea 😀 – And 'Ha ha!' to the guys laughing at my enormous drop bags FYI I ate it all 😆
    Will be doing it next year as enjoyed the course, scenery & sense of achievement, but will be investing in some form of full body insect protection to guard against the midgies as my arms & legs are now deformed & all lumpy!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Great day out and great bunch of people. Did approx 12 1/2hrs. Disapointed with the time, but hey made it to the finish and that's all that counts for a 1st attempt. Thought the finish was a bit of an anticlimax. Why didn't they have the finish where we started by the castle? Oddly I ate too much and felt sick as a dog all the way around, then felt fab the last 20miles. Will be back next year. For the record I to made it 107miles! Oh and I won't attempt to drive the 3 3/4 hrs back to North Wales after the event again. On my list of stupid things I've done, that comes near the top! See ya next year.

mr_stru

13 1/2 hours for me. I think the worst bit was the slog to make the last cut off. And then not being sure if making it was actually a good thing. Although the stony bit to the border wasn't exactly happy making either.

Still, pleased I managed it this year. Never again though.

IanW
    Free Member

DNF and feeling no shame, 60 miles (63 by my comp) most of which must have been uphill. On another note anyone still to set of south should avoid the A1 around scotch corner 90 minutes to do mile two so far .

miketually
    Free Member

On another note anyone still to set of south should avoid the A1 around scotch corner 90 minutes to do mile two so far .

You didn't see the diversion signs earlier taking you onto the A19 to bypass all that then? 🙂

Shak47

Crashed after ten miles and lost my Front rake due to a leaking hose, rode the last 94miles (Garmin made it 104.68) with just the rear brake, somewhat character forming to say the least, feel like I have had an out of body experience, cracking event, did 10:50, wanted to beat ten hours but maybe next year with two brakes.

IanW
    Free Member

Stayed in Newcastleton so came across 66.

miketually
    Free Member

Ah, bad luck.

Drac

Morning!

Cracking event well done to all and some just cracking times going through. What a great event over 500 racers and 99.99999% where lovely with lots of praise.

Big up to Swinterton Cylcles for their tech support and of course to Paul and Sara for making such a great event, so nice to see a big event in my area. Also great support from the locals and FC bods really nice to see people behind it.

Sorry and huge praise to Simon for coming up with a 100 miles course.

"Do you want some lube?"

miketually
    Free Member

Did the guy who'd snapped pretty much every spoke in his rear wheel get sorted, Drac?

Drac

Yeah the young lad, Rich, got his wheel fairly true think the damage was 5 spokes and god knows how many loose.

Oh Sam, Dan has some deep wounds that needed cleaned properly and maybe stitched/glued. I couldn't do anything for him there as had nothing to clean it with sufficently and had no glue. Make sure he does as he fibbed about his arm, Makin showed me a pic of it and it was a right mess.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Dan on the singular is ok after a long time in casualty getting fixed up. He finished something like 15th overall and 1st SS. 😯

Drac

Yeah very impressive.

Good to hear he went they needed sorting and he didn't take want to go last night despite my warnings.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had hoped for a sub 10 hour time, and was on schedule until just before that big climb before the piper, but then I blew up. Made it in 10.46 which I am still please with, as just finishing the event was punishment enough. Was a bit annoyed there were no Gels at the feed stations, as I hadn't carried that many with me.

Drac

There's loads lying in the drop bags when I left this morning.

miketually
    Free Member

The results are up: http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2010/KielderMontane100/

I was 287th 🙂

Only 347 finishers, out of 550(?) starters. 63% finished, which is about the same drop out rate as last year, I think.

uplink
    Free Member

I missed the 56 mile [which was nearer 58] cut-off by 8 minutes & was sent down the the last decent back to the finish just in front of the leader
    I pulled over to let him though & then followed him over the finish line

That'll be the closest I ever get to the winner at the end of a race 🙂

I suffered badly with lack of fitness & stomach cramps

mr_stru

Anyone got an idea how how much climbing there was, other than a lot?

Drac

You do well from this event mike a prize every year.

Uplink it's a tough ride and was warm 56 miles is good going. Well done.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

My best memory was the young cadet at 40mile water station, who was balling at riders to stay left or right and to "clear the track" He'll make sargent before he's 14!

richmars

Great race. Well organised. Food and water stops just right. I made it 103 miles on my garmin.
    Pleased with 11:19 but the last 5 miles were hard and I lost a few places, but the bike was 100% and no punctures.

Drac

Haha Simon was telling me about him this am. Said he was great and getting lots if support.

gazza100

Just checked the results and i dont appear to be on the list at all. Where did you have to go after crossing the finish line?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I finished! 12 1/2 hours, 7 of them with mental tendonitis in both knees, i can hardly bend my right knee today, but so chuffed i got round! seems a shame so many people didnt make the cut off, or pulled through not having the legs, maybe if the organisers could do a shorter race within the main race, a Kielder 50, that might be a bit more appealing to some?

Drac

Where did you have to go after crossing the finish line?

Back at the registration tent where you picked the blip back up from then you get your free beer, food, and water bottle.

Drac

Trev part of the problem although not all is that you get people attracted to the event to do it for charity as a challenge as it appeals to sponsors. They then find out just what a 100 miles on a mountain means in the hills of Northumberland and suffer. Then there's mechanicals, injuries and those that for what ever reason try hard as they can but sadly just miss out.

gazza100

****, i didnt and fell into my tent. So your saying my efforts were in vain?

D0NK

Well that was an experience. Thanks to the organisers and all the marshalls, that cadet was doing a cracking job keeping the wayward bikers in line.

IGM bad luck with the mechanicals, thought I heard your voice at one point but didn't see you, you weren't SSing were you? trying again next year?

Drac

****, i didnt and fell into my tent. So your saying my efforts were in vain?

Well you finished didn't you so no very well done but sadly you have no time. Contact sport ident though see what they say as they'll also would like that rather expensive chip back.

TurtlesHead
    Free Member

Me and my team mate nailed it at the 95 mile point (according to his computer) only to hit the 10 mile to go sign at the 97 mile point. Soul destroying especially when you've just give it everything. I blew big style in last 5 miles and lost 10 mins to my team mate. I was cursing the organisers with unrepeatable swearing! 😆

paul4stones

11.53 for me and 202nd although I was stuck behind about six people on the last 200m of singletrack 😉

Really good though and felt much easier than last year even with the extra climbing. The organisers said it was 14,500ft altogether with most of that in the first part! I was concerned how they would cope with so many riders compared with last year but they did brilliantly. Thanks to all involved.

Where were you drac?

Oh, and I'm probably being stupid but what are the 'mp' times at the bottom of the results?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

118th overall

Make that 133rd…

Pesky computers.

Drac

Where were you drac?

Every where.

I was at registration from about maybe 7.30 on the Friday and then I was doing the bleepers as you went around to the start. Then I was a lube man at Tech 3 at Newcastleton feed station.

Tall, skinny, thin on top and a blue T-shirt.

D0NK

Tall, skinny, thin on top and a blue T-shirt.

I don't think you were the man who offered to lube me up then, wonder who he was…. 😯

peachos
    Free Member

am i being a bit think…what does MP mean at the bottom of the results list?

D0NK

.what does MP mean at the bottom of the results list?

missed point maybe? looking at the splits the dnfers don't have a final time so maybe didn't "dib" in at the end the MPers do have a time. MP didn't do the whole course but did dib in is my guess.

peachos
    Free Member

ah ok…seems to make sense. cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘K100 updates?’ is closed to new replies.