Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Just won a minor argument with car insurance RE winter tyres…
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

MY policy includes alloy wheels that are non-standard. I called with hope that by fitting winter tyres in a week or two, my policy could be reduced – worth a try! The foreign call centre quoted an INCREASE in the premium of £22! Apparently changing your tyres is a modification 😯

I could not believe this, so after arguing and getting no-where, I asked to make a complaint. I was placed onto hold, then told that they will not charge any extra for the winter tyres. FFS. Admiral BTW

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Crazy. From what I understood when I was in Austria, if you don’t have winter tyres fitted they assume any crash is your fault

Kato

I’m with Admiral and the call centre was in the UK last time I spoke to them

Swalsey
    Free Member

Please give me that number! I miss the UK centre with Virgin. Speaking and understanding English are very different!

geoffj

Just out of curiosity, which bit did you win?

Swalsey
    Free Member

The argument that I should not have to pay more just because I am making my car safer.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Winter tyres…? Why.?

geoffj

Swalsey – Member
    The argument that I should not have to pay more just because I am making my car safer.
    POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

But you rang them hoping for a discount 😆

ross980
    Free Member

Winter tyres…? Why.?

erm… Because it’s nearly winter? 😉

There’s an article in Autoexpress this week comparing winter tyres with summer tyres. There was a big difference in cold weather performance (massively so in snow and ice) so I can see the benefit of people getting some spare wheels/tyres (dependant on location).

djglover
    Free Member

I can honestly say that this thread has restored my faith in the human race. Its amazing what can be achieved with a little perseverance. Congratulations to all involved. A fantastic day for car insurance customers the world over.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Admiral (UK call centre for me, are you sure it’s not just indian staff at a uk call centre?) increased my premium 10% after I moved 2 streets away to a place further from pubs, further from a main road with lots of traffic, took the cars off the road at night and onto a private drive with security and into an area mostly inhabited by 60+ year olds.

I won’t be going back.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I haven’t told my insurance about winter tyres. They’ve the same load and speed rating so they’re not ‘uprated’ or ‘downgraded’.

Oggles
    Free Member

I don’t remember specifying tyres on my car insurance… It costs me thirty-odd quid to make a change to the policy anyway, and I doubt I would save that much fitting winter tyres.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

djglover – Member

I can honestly say that this thread has restored my faith in the human race. Its amazing what can be achieved with a little perseverance. Congratulations to all involved. A fantastic day for car insurance customers the world over.

LOL

skidartist
    Free Member

an area mostly inhabited by 60+ year olds.

Thats what the hike in premiums is about- although all the road safety campaigns focus on child victims its pensioner pedestrians that are most likely to be killed or injured on the road (you’d need to find a kid to knock on down) so you’re paying for the increased risk you’ll squish a granny 🙂

WTF
    Free Member

Just fit the tyres as they are not a modification but just a change of tyres.
    The difference between winter and summer tyres is quite significant tbh.This video should enlighten the skeptics.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s[/video]

Swalsey
    Free Member

But you rang them hoping for a discount

Yes, because I may have deserved one. The argument about increasing the premium was an added bonus… my point was that they were trying to charge extra for no justifiable reason, not that I won an argument.

djglover – Member

Yes, I know, not the biggest achievement ever, I posted it as I think it is interesting to those who are fitting winter tyres 😉

neilsonwheels – Member
    Winter tyres…? Why.?

There are already threads on why winter tyres, lets not go there in this thread…

Junkyard
    Free Member

heart warming story of a car driver standing up for freedom and sticking it to the man well done it cost you nothing to change your tyres WHOOP WHOOP
    Good news for me to as today not one of my insurance policies increased their charges
    WIN WIN

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Just won a minor argument with car insurance RE winter tyres…’ is closed to new replies.