Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Just what is the law reguarding hunting deer with dags?
  • sharki
    Free Member

whilst out walking 🙁 i saw the hunt out in force, then the sound out dogs grew nearer and i nipped off the trail(bloody ticks now) just in time to see an old stag running off, tongue out, looking knackered, then after 20secs or so 5 dogs passed by in hot pursuit.

i tracked the chasing party(who were nowhere near the dogs when they passed me in fact they followed from up on the ridge) eventually i found the followers all parked up and the horseriders mustering aroung near a tree line near some old quarries. i carried on the walk then 30mins or so later all the 4x4s head passed me again, apparently they flushed the stag out again and was chasing it across the moorland, i heard one bloke say they’ve put more hounds on it……..

Not meaning to start a right or wrong dispute so please don’t..i’ve got my feelings on the matter and after seeing the state of the beast when he passed me, these feelings are strengthened…

oh and i saw a bug and sheep….

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Sounds like the old stag was asking for it to me.

sharki
    Free Member

I know the old and infirm need culling, they tried shooting them last year but failed badly.

The old boy gave the mutts a good runaround, they looked just as worn out as he did 🙂

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I know the old and infirm need culling

Apparently the old stag sees it slightly different.

And by your accounts, it doesn’t sound too “old and infirm”

Mind you, a couple of weeks ago I might have had a little bit more sympathy for the old stag. But now after reading all the G20 threads on here I have a different perspective on things. Clearly if the old stag was foolish enough to place himself in the close proximity of vicious hounds, then he has only himself to blame 😐

sharki
    Free Member

i know, bloody wildlife, it should stay in the countryside….by all accounts there is too many red deer up there given the land area.

foxylaydee
    Free Member

its difficult for me to keep my feelings in check with this sort of thing as i am a big softie and hate seeing any animals in distress(regardless of whether or not they are surplus in numbers), needless to say – i would have been upset seeing what you did 🙁 I know, i know i’m a big jessie 😕

nickc

Hmmmm, In the Chilterns there’s a couple of large herds of deer. Each at least 30-40 animals strong. the damage they do to young shoots is plain, and I’ve heard talk of a cull, no idea how one would go about such a thing though. Shoot them?

edited to make sense… 😳

Nick

Yes, shoot them, then eat them. Notice I missed out the words ‘chase’ and ‘play’, ‘torment’ and ‘terrify’.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

i know i’m a big jessie

Are you a ‘laydee’ or a ‘jessie’ ?

😕

foxylaydee
    Free Member

i am both a lady and a jessie/wuss/chicken/faint hearted etc etc 🙂

JulianA
    Free Member

Not sure about the justification for stag hunting (any offers?) but I noticed signs saying ‘stay out of these woods as there are snares in them’, or words to that effect, just after the fox hunting ban came into effect.

I like the thought of a fox taking several days to die in a snare even less than I like the idea of it being killed by hounds, but my views on fox hunting were completely changed by a land-owning friend who said that some of the countryside is kept open for people (and I reckon that means a lot to mountainbikers, walkers and horseriders) because of hunts.

I seem to recall that the law is a bit (a lot) vague as it wasn’t very good legislation to start with (also seem to recall that the Parliamentary guillotine was used in the hunting debate: not very intelligent use of it as it was designed to be used in time of war etc (and I don’t mean the war on hunting!))

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shoot them?

No here’s an idea…what we’ll do like, is dress up in red jackets and tight white trousers (but we’ll refer to the jackets as pinks). We’ll all get on big strong horses and ponies, train up a pack of dogs, and chase the **** things around the countryside. We’ll have these big brass trumpet/bugle type things to make plenty of noise and we’ll shout things like “Tally Ho”. When we’ve tired the poor animal out and trapped it, we’ll set the dogs on it. If there are any youngsters on their first outing with us, we’ll daub them in the blood of the savaged prey. What ho, you never know, it just might become a “tradition”. Hopefully the urbane guardianistas won’t take too much offence and try to intrude on our way of life.

Yeah, sounds fckuing ridiculous doesn’t it.

sharki
    Free Member

They tried a shooting cull down here a couple years back, dawn and dusk raids over a period of a month, result, one kill!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

foxylaydee – Member

i am both a lady and a jessie

Ah right, thanks for clearing that for me …….. not a screaming great jessie then …..

btw, did see you had an “Am I a lesbian?” thread, but felt strangely uninterested and didn’t bother clicking, so hence the uncertainty.

noteeth
    Free Member

Just what is the law

CFH is required to appear with venison recipes on all threads of this nature, m’lud.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Hands up all those who have shot a deer…

Ok, now all those who have hunted one…

Hurrah, glad to see so many people who can comment from experience on the safest and most humane method of deer control in differing environments throughout the UK 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh FFS, I didn’t realise one had to have hunted or shot or whatever an animal to comment on the activity. Stop all debate on STW now then if that’s the case.

sharki
    Free Member

sharki

Not meaning to start a right or wrong dispute so please don’t..

Shot a few deer back in the day, had to track them first…is that hunting? anyway unless a clean kill was guarenteed, the shot wasn’t taken..

saladdodger
    Free Member

Not being soft but the should be shot not hunted with dogs

Reason there would be a whole carcase left to eat and make sausages from, apart from the fact the meat would be somewhat stressed

sharki
    Free Member

I was kinda hoping the dogs pulled him down near me, then before the blokes caught up i could ear to ear it strip it out and run off with it for you…but 90+kg of dead animal and my ailment……

tinribz
    Free Member

Hunting deer with dogs is illegal

Deer hunting involves the deer being chased by a pack of dogs till the point of near exhaustion when it comes to a stand and is shot. This is prohibited by the Act for all species of deer.

Taking some dogs with you stalking (two) to catch a wounded deer is allowed but I don’t think any pro really would, not a hound anyway. And you certainly don’t stalk on a horse. There is some BS put about of being allowed to flush ‘old’ deer so they can be shot, but proposing to shoot a moving deer with people and dogs about is just taking the piss. You should have got photos of the dogs taking it down.

As for fox snares it is a legal requirement to check them every 24 hours and that’s not hard to do.

MoreCashThanDash

Was this in England btw – just spent a week on a farm on the English side of the border and the farmer was moaning about how the Scottish foxes have figured out that if they can make it over the border to England the hunt has to stop chasing them (not sure how practical that is!)

It truly is an insane piece of badly drafted legislation that wasted hours of parliamentary time on an issue inspired more by class hatred than genuine animal welfare concerns.

And powered largely by ignorance of the reasons and people involved in it.

MoreCashThanDash

And – fwiw – a two week old lamb caught by a fox isn’t a pretty sight, hence the reason the farmer would have preferred the hunt to be able to control the numbers on his side of the border!

Rich
    Free Member

As for fox snares it is a legal requirement to check them every 24 hours and that’s not hard to do.

Doesn’t mean it gets done though, sadly.

tinribz
    Free Member

Anyone that thinks hunting has anything to do with pest control either has an agenda or has no idea what they are talking about. Hunts actually used to stop keepers snaring / shooting / digging so they have something to chase.

sharki
    Free Member

They play it very cleverly, i was lucky to get as close as i did, and certainly would of taken pics if they did bring it down, but tbh, i’d of been laying into the mut with my gerber pliers too the nuts…

sharki
    Free Member

24hrs is a whole lot of pain and suffering…i’ve heard of animals chewing their own limbs off to escape….i’ve only ever snared wabbits and watching them get caught tell me there’s a whole world of hurt going on.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get some proper stalkers/ghillies down from the highlands, they seem to manage alright!

Shoot them, eat them.

sharki
    Free Member

I aint stalking and eating a ghillie….

tinribz
    Free Member

24hrs is a whole lot of pain and suffering…i’ve heard of animals chewing their own limbs off to escape….i’ve only ever snared wabbits and watching them get caught tell me there’s a whole world of hurt going on.

You are doing it wrong then, for rabbits you catch them on their run and break the neck. For foxes you catch them round the neck and they go to sleep as it’s ratcheted. Built properly deer will jump it and it’s too high for a foxes legs. Anyone that doesn’t check them is not doing their job properly, same as a rogue farmer too lazy to properly care for livestock doesn’t mean keeping sheep is barbaric.

Inzane
    Free Member

Cull?? We live capture deer from helicopters here in nz 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Just what is the law reguarding hunting deer with dags?’ is closed to new replies.