Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • just what is a comfortable saddle
  • toymotor
    Free Member

I’m having trouble I know saddles are personal preference but what is a comfortable saddle that blends comfort with looks and of course price.
    I currently have a WTB yeti and a SDG ti fly and /i switch between the two but struggle if I’m out for more than an hour as I dont like the feel of padded shorts so is their a good looking comfortable saddle without spending bucket loads, let me know whats your experience if its a pain in the ass you just have to bear to enjoy a peddle.

crikey
    Free Member

but struggle if I’m out for more than an hour as I dont like the feel of padded shorts

I’d be rethinking this bit.

bruneep

Went from a sdg Ti fly to charge spoon (wiggle cheapo) and the charge is way better.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

M.A.L. and padded shorts all the way, slight differences in the angle of the saddle can make a big difference as well so maybe play with setup a bit more?

aa
    Free Member

saddles are hugeley personal, for what it’s worth i adore selle italia turbomatics. Have been using them for over 20 years so i have the benchmark shape that i like. I’ve nver got on with wtbs, to me its like sitting on a dinner plate. Specialized too, not much a fan of theirs. Shorts do make a big difference, certainly for any othr than a trip to the shops.

mrmo
    Free Member

I dont like the feel of padded shorts

there is a reason why shorts have pads.

I’d be rethinking this bit.

+1

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My Fizik Gobi Wingflex is my most comfortable saddle.

EDIT : The only bike which I regularly ride without wearing a padded liner has a Brooks Flyer, which is obviously comfortable but very heavy.

crikey
    Free Member

You may end up able to ride without padded shorts, but at the mo you will be riding for a short while then getting sore, then riding for a short while, then getting sore.

Essentially, you need to ride for longer to get some resistance to soreness built up in your lower end.

Git the padded shorts on and stop messing about.

feisty
    Free Member

Saddles have to be a good fit for yout sit bones, I hav stuggled for decades to find a seat that didn’t do me in after a while until I gave the Charge range ago and they are PERFECT for me and get rave reviews from most people so they must be pretty supportive for a wide range of bum sizes 😆

They look good and are cheap, you can even get custom colour combos from Charge direct (for a price), I have two of the Knife model which is a little thinner on padding but most people use the spoon as it is a bit more generous with it.

Oh and good padded shorts will help even more

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I have a Spoon and a Gobi both of which normally come up in comfortable saddle conversations.
    However after about 3.5 hrs either one has me with a sore arse and that’s with padded shorts, so +1 to padding.
    IMO you’re not going to get any comfort without them

toymotor
    Free Member

its never been a problem and I’ve been riding over 35 years on and off i grew up on BMX and those aero saddles had no padding what so ever but the charge spoon seems to be a fav so i might give one of those a go, i have tried fizi gobi and couldnt get away with that long nose looked odd and very hard ride even though i ride a full sus but i like the look of the spoon and the price is a definite plus so wheres a good place for a spoon.

martymac

as noted above, once your backside is toughened up you will be able to ride without shorts, but until you reach that point you need em.
    +1 charge spoon.
    cube ‘ready for race’ range are comfy, not too heavy and cheapish too.

Northwind

I’ve only used an i-fly rather than a ti-, but it was orrible.

But yeah, all personal taste, I like Charge Knives, they’re just northwind-shaped. I don’t wear padded shorts, hate how they feel but it’s never been an issue for me.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLR

toymotor
    Free Member

that charge knife looks lovely but cant imagine it to be comfy very slim profile compared to the spoon any one got experience of specialized body geomatry seats

takisawa2

Charge Spoon with Ti rails for me. Tried the cro mo rails but the Ti one is marginally comfier.
    I’m a fan of the WTB Rocket V but Ti ones are rare.

Northwind

toymotor – Member

that charge knife looks lovely but cant imagine it to be comfy very slim profile compared to the spoon

Again, depends on shape- I found the Spoon too wide at the back for my skinny frame, and I don’t like the scoop. Knife is genuinely the comfiest I’ve used, but if it didn’t fit it’d probably be horrendous.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bel air

Spoon

toymotor
    Free Member

i would never have thought what metal the rails are would have any bearing on comfort but now you mention it i suppose if they have a little give in them it would add to the over all feel, saying that the ti rails on the sdg fly i use aren’t very forgiving nice looking seat love the Yeti logo on them but harsh on the arse.

toymotor
    Free Member

tried the SDG bel air and I like the look and SDG seats are very well made but just a little bit to small width wise for me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘just what is a comfortable saddle’ is closed to new replies.