Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Just washed my phone
  • Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm…

It is drying in a tub full of rice.

Assuming that I have killed it what are my options? Do I just buy another handset and stick the SIM in it?

If the SIM is dead too what next? I’ve got 8 months to go on my contract. I guess I could just buy it out and start again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Put it in the aiding cupboard too. Do not try and turn it on for a few days.

Fingers crossed you have cloud backup, sim should be ok its quite hard to kill them !

You can take the sim out and try it elsewhere now. In fact “opening up” the phone will help it dry out

stewartc
    Free Member

Did this recently with my Asus, stone cold dead despite the bowl of rice tactic, good luck.
    Your SIM should survive.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Open it up as much as you can, might need a specific screwdriver. What make and model is it?

Get down to the bare boards and let them dry out on a hot radiator, rice probably won’t help at all. If you have any silica gel bags from new shoes or electronics stick them on the board as well.

v8ninety

Opened up on top of a rad or in hot airing cupboard is good advice. Have revived more than one wet phone like that. Obviously battery should be removed already. Don’t try to power it up again until it’s bone dry. Even if it does revive, expect to be replacing it soon; the deposits left on the circuits will be what kills it, most likely.

grtdkad

Do not turn on.
    Put it in a container with lots of Silica Gel crystals.
    Put container in a warm place
    Do not turn on.
    Leave it there for a week.
    Cross. Your. Fingers.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Wife dropped phone down toilet. Took everything apart and put it in 97% alcahol for an hour. Took it out and left it on rad for couple of hours. All fine. Maybe got lucky.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If it doesn’t work and is worth fixing I’ll take a look happily

Harry_the_Spider

Ooops. Tried to switch it on.

It didn’t work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why is it always the firstthing anyone does to try and turn it on .

If the water didnt kill it , that certainly will 🙂

Revived my dads iphone by leaving it on the mantle for 3 days.

Lasted anotehr 18months before various bits started acting the goat. Home button , speaker , wifi aerial etc ..

So even if it does work again id budget for a new one soon.

Harry_the_Spider

Only got 8 months to go on the contract. Early termination buyout is about £90.

whatgoesup

As others have said the SIM is pretty Hardy.
    Just in case it is damaged don’t worry operators will replace SIMs for free, it’s in their interest to keep users online

Harry_the_Spider

Going to give EEs customer retention team a call… from a landline.

legend
    Free Member

Shove it in the oven, 50C for a few hours will get things moving

scaredypants

blubbblllbbblllyy blubbblllle

damn, why won’t harry pick up my calls

🙁

scaled
    Free Member

damn, why won’t harry pick up my calls

The restraining order?

bearnecessities

Or the rice straining order.

Harry_the_Spider

Can anyone recommend a good place for SIM free phones? Nowt fancy 8/16GB internal memory.

Del

advice for the next guy:
    DO NOT attempt to turn it back on if it goes off.
    get a hoover, make a seal around the nozzle with your hand as best you can and work around the opening in the case in turn, and suck the water out.
    have your device working again after a couple of minutes. 😉
    ( one phone went in the canal with me, another went in the wash for 20mins before I realised ).

Harry_the_Spider

DO NOT attempt to turn it back on if it goes off.

Too late for that. Hopefully the rice and a warm window sill will do.

ThePinkster

Can anyone recommend a good place for SIM free phones? Nowt fancy 8/16GB internal memory.

Tesco has the 3rd gen Moto-G for £139 SIM free at the moment if that helps?

Was tempted to pick one up on Saturday but my 1st gen hasn’t actually died yet…

Kahurangi

HTS – I was going to try and shift my 1.5 y/o Sony Z1C if that tickles your fancy? No idea what it’s work but will see you through. Email me if you’re interested.

cp

Tesco has the 3rd gen Moto-G for £139 SIM free at the moment if that helps

Even better, £145 for the 2gb / 16Gb RAM version on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Exclusive/dp/B014KT0KWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1461657520&sr=1-1&keywords=moto+g

trail_rat
    Free Member

air line with nozzle is also good for drying it off if you get it apart.

if its not taken apart then you risk just forcing water into areas you didnt really want it to go – ie between layers of things making it harder to get out .

madeupname
    Free Member

My phone pond thread

This posted from that same phone… Pulled apart, couldn’t get alcohol so skipped that bit, left in airing cupboard for 36 hours

Or do whatever WYSIWIG says!

Harry_the_Spider

EE are doing their absolute very best to lose me as a customer. Then again I’ve only been with them for 15+ years. £90 to buy out my contract and swap it for a new one that costs £7 a month more. Winkers.

Tesco will do me a Motorola E 2nd generation on the same data and call package that I currently have at the same price and chuck in a tablet.

tthew

Tesco coverage isn’t brilliant though. Can’t remember what network they’re piggy backed onto, but I’d lay money that Tesco customers are bumped down to slower service when it’s busy.

I’m going to go onto a proper telecoms company once my contract is fininshed, even though it’ll be more expensive.

smokey_jo

Tesco is O2 – the network is getting better but slowly and it’s still a bit pants

dooosuk
    Free Member

Just buy a cheap android phone (WileyFox or Jiayu s3 type thing) to see out the rest of your contract.

tthew

Tesco is O2

Ah, that confirms my throttling suspicions then as my better half and daughter are both on O2 and they get better coverage at higher speeds than me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Time to buy that iPhone 6s you’ve been ogling then 😆

johnners
    Free Member

Tesco will do me a Motorola E 2nd generation on the same data and call package that I currently have at the same price and chuck in a tablet.

You can pick up a 2nd Gen PAYG Moto E from Vodafone for £39 and get an unlock code for £2 to see your contract out. Amazingly good value, I had a 64Gb SD card working in one with no problems, and Marshmallow lets you use the card as an extension of internal memory.

Mind you, the 3rd Gen Moto G is water resistant, can’t think why that’d be of any use though…

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it not most probably that the battery will have shorted out and the irreversable short circuit protection activated?

Harry_the_Spider

Is it not most probably that the battery will have shorted out and the irreversable short circuit protection activated?

I have no idea.

Harry_the_Spider

You can pick up a 2nd Gen PAYG Moto E from Vodafone for £39 and get an unlock code for £2 to see your contract out

Sounds perfect. Where do you get the unlock code from?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

China.

I bought a Ulefone Power from gearbest, it’s a hefty (200g) brick, but 2 days battery life, 2 DAYS. Not 2 hypothetical, if I leave my iPhone in a Faraday cage, in airplaine mode, on the moon with the GPS turned off days, 2 actual days, of BBC news, STRAVA, Facebook, arguing on STW, shopping, using as a sat-nav in the car, and watching grot before bed.

And the lack of Samsung bloated ROM means it’s significantly quicker.

Downsides:
    Screen is basic, contrast is lousy. Not that you notice it in normal use, but whereas my old S4 powered up in a dark room you only saw the text on the screen, on this the black background on the boot screen is at best silver. Fine in daylight though.

Audio is basic, both the DAC and speaker are rubbish.

The home button doesn’t wake it.

You can tell that some apps weren’t optimized for it. Tumblr crashes a lot for example.

johnners
    Free Member

Sounds perfect. Where do you get the unlock code from?

I’ve had a couple from ebay which worked a treat, the last one (for a G) was from this guy. Just give the exact model number.

If you’re buying from Vodafone check the box for using existing SIM, otherwise they’ll add one and charge you for £10 credit.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don’t mind about OS, Windows phones seem to be extremely good value for money on ebay. New ones for peanuts. And they are good too as long as you have the apps you want.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I got a refurbed 32g I phone 5c for 100 on ebay this morning for my eldest, cheap enough and fine.

jairaj

EE are doing their absolute very best to lose me as a customer. Then again I’ve only been with them for 15+ years. £90 to buy out my contract and swap it for a new one that costs £7 a month more. Winkers.

had a similar experience with them when upgrading 6 months ago. They wouldn’t budge even when I asked to cancel my contract and get a PAK code.

Then got a call the next day not only matching what I wanted yesterday but bettering by £40.

I almost told them to get lost because of the extra hassle and extra hoops they made me jump through. But in the end stayed with them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Just washed my phone’ is closed to new replies.