Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Just thought I would share – proud dad moment
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have twins of 7 years old – one of them is almost cripplingly shy on front of people (as I was at her age). For example, at nursery she wouldn’t do the nativity play performance and sat crying on mum’s knee. At school in reception she wouldn’t run in the sports day because ‘people would be watching her’ (and the usual crying with mum at any other play etc), last Christmas as a Year 2 they had to write her a special part in the nativity as she wouldn’t stand on stage and say anything – she spent the performance hiding behind scenery, only coming out briefly to ‘woof’.

But then 3 months ago she ran in an inter-school local cross country and qualified for the county competition in March which she can’t wait to do. Then two nights ago it was the school Christmas Concert and she was stood front centre (quite) happily singing (although she did mention a few wobbles beforehand) then next week she has an actual speaking part in the nativity.

Not sure any of you will particularly care or not, but we are happy that with some gentle encouragement and access to experience doing things on a stage (ie in a singing club at school, singing, dancing and acting club at the weekend) she has found that she *CAN* do the things she didn’t think she could.

So there, said it.

(and she now wants to be a pop star LOL)

jekkyl

Brilliant mate, nice one. Kids are the centre of any parents world and they deserve all our love and attention.

ads678

Needs an applause smiley!

Well done her.

globalti
    Free Member

Great news! Shyness blighted my childhood, believe it or not.

blader1611
    Free Member

Ah bless her, well done her. You have every right to be proud and to tell us about it.

I have 3 1/2 yr old twins and my proud moment is my boy who has finally after 8 months of frustrations figured out when and where to poo. No more cleaning of underpants and trousers for me! The other twin is quite shy of most people including family but she is very slowly coming out of her shell. I shall use your story OP to tempt my girl out a bit more.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Brill! 🙂

stumpy01

Sounds great, but X-country at 7 years old! Eeek! Rather her than me…

My (just over 1 year old) daughter tends to cry as soon as she gets near most men; particularly if they are bald & wearing glasses.
    It’s a habit I hope she never grows out of….. 😆

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yeah, my daughter was the same, even to to the point she would hide away from the grandparents even though she saw them every week.

Its a good feeling them standing on the stage now either dancing or playing the piano to big audiences. Some things you sometimes just have to leave to a school atmosphere/teaching environment to draw them out of shyness.

The latest proud dad moment (though admittedly worried mother moment) was her design for the classroom christmas bauble she had to design for the classroom door. Beautifully decorated with “Don’t eat yellow snow” in large letter…

Lucas
    Free Member

Good stuff!

Have similar with our 5 year old, crying in plays etc but this year he’s volunteer end for a speaking part, they always surprise you

MoreCashThanDash

Thats great Op

My almost 10 year old performed in her first wind band concert at the weekend. Normally quite confident and outgoing but she came up to and after she’d got ready and said she was shaking all over. I think the reassuring Dad cuddle helped her calm down and smash it.

Lots of very nervous young violinists at last night’s show as well. So glad my two play wind instruments!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Good work mate. 8)

paulhaycraft

Great stuff! Not enough proud dads in the world. You carry on!

mugsys_m8

It’s great to be proud.

If she is of the ‘quieter’ persuasion and not necessarily shy… might I suggest reading ‘Quiet’ by Susan Cain? Or at least watching her TED talk?

johndoh
    Free Member

If she is of the ‘quieter’ persuasion and not necessarily shy…

She has certain sensory sensitivities which we think might be at the centre of her personality…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Just thought I would share – proud dad moment’ is closed to new replies.