• This topic has 44 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Just seen Into the Wild
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Best film I have seen in years, moved me to tears. Definatly worth watching if you havnt seen it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Good innit?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Yep, great film.

jedi

awesome!!

toppers3933
    Free Member

read the book. puts a whole different spin on the relationship with his parents.
    ace film. ace book.

tollah
    Free Member

Aye, is a great film.

jedi

happiness is not happiness unless its shared

RichPenny
    Free Member

I liked it as well, would be good to read the book to see other angles of the story.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yes a great film – but iirc in real life wasnt he a complete nutter?

toppers3933
    Free Member

not according to the book. the press generally portrayed him as being a nutter hell bent on self distruction for going out there in the first place. krakuer belived this not to be the case.
    the ironic thing was that if he’d wallked up river a mile or so he would have come accross a zip wire over the river with a cage attached to it to carry hunters over the river.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

If you haven’t read the book, it’s great. Krakuer’s Into Thin Air is also excellent and reveals a lot about the problems/dangers of over crowding on Everest.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i like krakuers books but theyre not a patch on joe simpsons.read them all at least once. hes crackers!
    sorry to go off topic.
    alexander supertramp ftw.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cracking film, really quite moving….i am going to read the book next to make a comparison – he was certainly a selfish *wat if not to his whole family, certainly to his sister – whom he obviously cared for according to the film….

it freaks me out to look on google maps to see that bus there….i also heard that there is a river crossing further on about 1 mile, surprised he didnt know about this given he had obviously been in and around the area for some time!

cracking film though im going to watch it again this weekend…

my mates doing something similar at the moment, hes turned into a bit of a maverick type person – ditched his phone, can only get him via letter 😆 he doesnt now contact anyone, hes goes on mad missions for days on end…no body knows if hes alive or dead half the time…then he suddenly turns up at the pub out of no where 😆 obviously not the same, but since watching this his outlook on life has become stress free, and when hes had enough just does one

nick1962
    Free Member

With that beard and his fondness for the outdoors all he was missing was asingle speed and he could have been a fully fledged STW member

nodrog2
    Free Member

Great soundtrack by Eddie Veder as well.

miguelito
    Free Member

Very inspiring film. Love the bit where he kayaks down the river after being told about the 10 year waiting list

jedi

i know all the rules but the rules do not know me

bananaworld
    Free Member

When eveything gets too much and I feel like ending it all, I think of Alexander Supertramp and remember that, if it really came to it, I could just wander off into the wild for a few years and NOT have to top myself. If you’ve got to the point of not caring, head for the hills and to hell with the consequences. That thought alone I often find is enough to life my mood – knowing that there’s a way out. Hence I find his story wonderfully inspiring.

Anyway, that’s how the book and film affected me. Some might say he was selfish, and he was definitely naïve, but I wish I had his balls.

Perhaps a trip out on a mountain bike is our mini-version of his adventures.

fubar
    Free Member

it freaks me out to look on google maps to see that bus there.

anybody have a link to google maps showing the bus ?

7hz
    Free Member

Eric from Revelate / Epic went out there.

Full story and pics at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=422085

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

tis creepy that – to think he ‘shacked’ up in it for months on end with his own little living space..

tis a great film, and it is very very inspiring to see someone at such a young age do something that goes against modern life – obviously had not much of a loving upbriging and became very disillusioned by money/material type things from such a young age, when most people are just discovering themselves at college/uni…

hats off to him, i do wonder if he would have just continued to live that life forever, he didnt really have much interest in anything other than being ‘in the wild’….

great film looking forward to the book now!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Krakuer’s Into Thin Air is also excellent

1 of my favourite books and i’m not remotely into climbing. Also love Joe simpsons ‘The beckoning silence’ (the last scene in the docu/film is breathtaking)

firestarter
    Free Member

Not seen the film but talking of goin away from it all reminds me of my old army mate , when he left the army he bought an old bus and went of with his bike, canoe, skis and bagpipes touring the world living like a tramp 😉 bus gave up the ghost in Africa some place so he jacked it up and stuck in on pallets and lived in it for nearly two years. He gave it to the locals to use in the end and travelled to Brussels where we hooked up again and partied for six months . He then went off to work in whistler in a bar but sacked it as it was too busy and he walked off into the wilderness of Canada after giving most of his belongings away and I’ve not heard from him since. Hope hes still having fun where ever he is 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Yes a great film – but iirc in real life wasnt he a complete nutter? wasn’t he an intelligent and free thinking chap?

which I guess often amounts to the same thing in some sectors..

soma_rich
    Free Member

Thank you for the MTBR link. Truly inspiring. 🙂

satsoma
    Free Member

Wonderful film, inspirational chap. Can’t wait to start reading the book 🙂

The music was awesome too.

charliedontsurf

best film in years.

I saw the first half flying back from africa. They shut the film off as we came into land.

So went home and told Mrs Bikemonger about this really uplifting and liberating film… ordered the dvd.

sat down with dog and Mrs, some wine, and watched the uplifting first half, and the soooo sad second half. I was devistated.

ajf
    Free Member

Read the book and only got half way through the film.

Found him selfish and stupid and had no interest in if he lived or died.

He just didn’t respect nature and got bitten for it like so many others before and since

doom_mountain

Uncanny, I just got the film this morning.
    Looking forward to watching tonight….

+1 for Into Thin Air

warton
    Free Member

ajf + 100

trickydisco
    Free Member

ajf + 200

I came away with the same thought.. Had an argument with a mate of mine who thought he was great and i said he was selfish to put his family through all that

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you read Into Thin Air then read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev as well. Two sides to every story.

stanfree
    Free Member

Just watched this and thought It was absolutely brilliant, very moving especially when the old guy asks to adopt him at the end.

The quote he writes at the end “Happiness is only real when shared” Is probably one of the truest things I’ve read in a long time. The soundtrack Is ace as well.

fbk
    Free Member

If you read Into Thin Air then read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev as well. Two sides to every story

Definitely agree. Krakuer’s book, whilst excellent, is very one sided – Boukreev’s version of events gives another angle to the disaster that year and is also a superb and interesting read.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lent the climb to a mate and he left it in France. great book , he ended up dying in the mountains one Christmas iirc RIP 🙁

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Found him selfish and stupid and had no interest in if he lived or died.

I agree, but this isn’t a critcism of the film or story is it? he wasn’t preseneted as a hero or someone we should look up to.

thats what i though anyway.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

He just didn’t respect nature and got bitten for it like so many others before and since

He had too little respect for the people who cared for him maybe, but I never felt he did not respect nature. Many people go “into the wild” for an hour, a day, a week, a month, whatever with all the experience, respect and preparedness possible, but nature can still find a way to defeat them.

Respect is a subjective and personal thing. One person’s respect is another’s risk. Whilst my respect for nature means I wouldn’t take the same risks as many others, that doesn’t make them any less respectful of nature.

PS Love the film and the book

stanfree
    Free Member

Bump , back on film 4 tonight at 9. Great movie.

will
    Free Member

Just noticed this. Great stuff not seen before so looking forward to it!

spoon
    Free Member

I thought it was bad, unpreparedness is fatal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Just seen Into the Wild’ is closed to new replies.