Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • just replaced coil with air shock – but there's a catch…
  • perks

So…the valve on the air shock (DHX 4.0) just snags on the rocker (turner 6pack '06) – literally just – so the shock must be less than 1mm from its uncompressed position! I did loads of research to get the right model – correct stroke and length etc…it is just a couple of swings with a round file away from fitting perfectly…but obviously that is a last resort!!!!

is there any way to either change the valve position or micro-adjust the length of the shock at all…the fox manuals don't seem to help.

IA

Tried a lower-profile cap for the air valve? Like the plastic one off a tube? (which you could even file down a bit easily)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Can't you simply turn it around? Swap eye to eye, or turn it upside down?

perks

yeah – it still just snags on the thread of the valve – actually I'm not sure what pressure is being put on the valve, not very much by all accounts – but it is close enough to be potentially damaging.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

most folk just cut a notch on the rocker arm.

Spend a bit of time on the MTBR turner forum – there's plenty of information on there about it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The rockers from that era have a little notch in them to allow clearance.

Personally I'd stick with the coil, but then I've never tried an airshock that I liked.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What you need is a Gonzo.

Not this one.

But this one.

I got mine from Mojo.

IA

Ah yes, the Gonzo valve. Best part name ever.

perks

I like it…and will probably buy it – but the rocker will still catch on the gonzo valve…

…reaches for the file…

I_Ache
    Free Member

It shouldnt catch because you can rotate the Gonzo so it is behind the shock. It doesnt stick out as far as the std valve. Look at mine on my pitch.

DSC_0003

Previously I had to remove the shock to add air as the valve was behind the rocker so tightly I couldnt even get the cap on it. With the gonzo I had plenty of room and routed it so it came out above the rocker as you can see.

funkynick

I believe the use of a file is the sanctioned Turner mod for this situation… but as linked above, it's all there on MTBR, you just need to find it!

perks

no – I mean – the valve seems to be directly under the rocker so the rocker is "just about" resting on the valve – which is not good…

however – your picture suggests that the valve position could be changed? is this possible on fox shocks?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Right I see what you mean.

The position where the valve comes out of the head cant be changed but the gonzo changes the angle. I cant remember if its slimmer than a normal valve but I would guess that its not so you will still have your issue. Although fitting a gonzo and filing the rocker so it fits around that will mean you will be able to put air in the shock without either removing it from the rocker or filing a lot more off the rocker.

perks

so rocker filing might be ok then? I'm hoping it will be no more than 1mm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘just replaced coil with air shock – but there's a catch…’ is closed to new replies.