Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Just put a beef joint on the barbecue…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got the ‘proper’ Weber kettle barbecue and I’m using indirect heat, but I don’t have a thermometer. So for now I’ve loaded it up with briquettes and put the bottom and top vents half open, just to see how it goes. My wife has bought an in-oven thermometer but she won’t be here for another hour and a half, but at least I’ll have an idea.

Anyone else tried it without a thermometer?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Should be able to do it by feel, give it a prod. The firmer it is, the more well done it is.

Also if you know its weight, you can roughly say that your BBQ’s gonna be about 200c indirect heat, so you can work out a rough cooking time.

Harry_the_Spider

You will die.

RustyMac

I agree with HtS, i think we should all be invited to sample the beef just to make sure it doesn’t do you or your good lady any harm.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s a Barbie, just do it it’s blacker than the ace of spades and totally inedible. Then it’s done.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh I should add – I have a *food* thermometer, the kind you poke into food to see if it’s done. But it doesn’t go high enough of course to measure oven temps.

Thing is, it needs fairly slow cooking really as it’s a cheap cut, so temps need to be controlled. Just added some water to the pan as per the internet, also closed the vents a nadge to about 2/3 closed.

i think we should all be invited to sample the beef just to make sure it doesn’t do you or your good lady any harm.

There’s plenty, come on over.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

DO it in the oven and finish it off in the BBQ, it’ll make piss all difference

fasthaggis

Sounds like,all the gear and half an idea,what could possibly go wrong?

😛

thegreatape
    Free Member

The only way you can get beef wrong is to overcook it. Overcooking is to some degree subjective of course. But don’t overcook it. Eat it ASAP to be on the safe side. Don’t overcook it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is that BBQ’d dog turd ?

andyl
    Free Member

It’s beef, just kill anything off on the outside and then eat it. About 10 minutes should do it.

Is that BBQ’d dog turd ?

I thought it looked like a cow pat

perchypanther
    Free Member

I thought it looked like a cow pat

It is, Mick.

llama

if it goes too black wrap it in foil?

let us know how it turns out because I fancy trying this. My plan was to use damp wood chippings to keep the temperature down and make extra tasty.

What cut is it?

I did brisket last week by braising it for 4 hours submerged in stock in the oven at 120, then 15 mins on a very burnt down BBQ. Was a little overdone if I’m honest. That was 2kg unrolled.

hooli

It’s a Barbie, just do it it’s blacker than the ace of spades on the outside while being completely raw on the inside. Then it’s done

FTFY

Mackem

It’s beef, it’ll be fine raw.

windydave13
    Free Member

I trust you went for the “Snake” method when setting up the coals 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure of the cut.

Its currently 140F in the middle according to my thermometer, which after an hour is a bit warm tbh. But not sure internal temp is a good guide if I’m trying to slow cook? But if that’s right I haven’t actually slow cooked it all, I’ve roasted it.

llama

if its 140 in the middle its (over) done but alot of those thermometers are not accurate

edit: oops sorry thought it was C not F

jemima
    Free Member

No harm starting it off hot before the in-oven thermometer arrives. If I recall correctly you’ll probably be over 200° with a small pile of charcoal. I keep vents open to ensure doesn’t ‘go out’. So just let it burn down well and you’ll probably get down to 120-150° which should be fine for a long cook. I light a half-chimney worth at the side when the BBQ is getting really low and top up with that. So long as there’s some coal in there you’ll be hot enough for a long cook. I use handfulls of soaked wood chips to keep the heat down as well.

I did an 8 hour cook last summer and was amazed at how little charcoal it required to keep the temp above 120° for all that time. Think it was just the initial chimney load and then two or three small top-ups…

I think quite a lot of people baste with vinegar and water.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’ve used too much charcoal, about 3/4 chimney.

fourbanger
    Free Member

You lost me a briquettes.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife bought them.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Forgiven. I used to get these 1kg ribeyes from the covered market in Frankfurt. About 1.5 inches thick and marbled like crazy. OMG!

Cooking on the BBQ is fantastic!

blader1611
    Free Member

If its brown its cooked if its black its f##ked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sliced a bit off the end. Extremely tender..

Rockape63
    Free Member

You lost me a briquettes.

indeed, I suggest you never use them for this type of barbying as they don’t stay hot enough with the lid down like charcoal does. Also when using with charcoal put the meat on a brink but don’t wrap it. Keeps it away from the direct heat but smokes it gooooood! Obviously needs searing first.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Sliced a bit off the end. Extremely tender..

some of us are still at work molgrips stop it will ya…

houndlegs
    Free Member

Ah, so you is the reason it’s started raining here then 😛

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Just put a beef joint on the barbecue…’ is closed to new replies.