• This topic has 43 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flow.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Just joined the "dark side"… Anyone coming :-)
  • kevtoo
    Free Member

So after months of saying “I need to do more training” I’ve gone and bought a road bike (!!!!!!) and I’m very excited about the prospect of getting some decent mileage under the belt. Stumpy FSR will still be “Sunday Best” though…

So, more bike p*rn to get excited about- Bianchi Via Nirone with Campag groupset (only Xenon, I’m not the Sultan of Brunei you know…), the only Crank Bros road pedals I could find since they stopped doing them, and splashed the cash for a Brookes saddle. Skint but happy and I’ve still got to wait 2 weeks for it all to arrive! NOOOOO!

I will ride more
    I will ride more
    I will ride more…..

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Welcome I was turned some time ago.

Stumpy FSR will still be “Sunday Best” though…

You say that now………..

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve spent the odd lunchtime looking at shiny road bikes recently.

I’m contemplating commuting in London and initially thought that some slicks and locking out the suspension on the FS would be fine. But recently I’ve been contemplating something made of carbon to get to work on…I’ll be saving money on train fares afterall.

Will I need clothing made from lycra, and do I have to shave my legs?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

For commuting in London I would prefer a mountain bike with some decently wide tyres and disk brakes to help me avoid all those opening car doors and pedestrians stepping out onto the road 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

hmmm…so I can’t by a new toy then?

curlie467
    Free Member

I was turned briely but soon came back, not keen on road riding proper but might get a flat bar bike just to pootle round the back lanes on soon.

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive joined. No bianchi or anything as nice but its doing me for now.

Got some bibs on their way and some spd’s. Did 42 mile on Sunday – it was actually quite good fun.

flow
    Free Member

You will be shaving your legs next 😆

organic355
    Free Member

But recently I’ve been contemplating something made of carbon to get to work on

I have a road bike with carbon forks & stays. I wouldnt recommend carbon for commuting through the winter you will wreck it. OK for summer though.

Mine has delaminated on the rear stays and looks crappy. I am looking for a new commuter and looking at something CX with discs, bit heavier but built for the wet.

dustytrails

I joined a few years ago – surprisingly enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way – can be very fast – cars are hard & scary sometimes (always hard tho!- avoid)

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Already there.

You soon be swapping your Stumpy FSR for a plastic framed roadie as your Sunday best.

Be warned, there’s not going back once pain has become your friend. :mrgreen:

trickydisco
    Free Member

yep.. it happens to us all (shaved legs as well)

Weirdly i prefer road racing to mountain bike racing.. But given the choice of a mountain bike weekend or road riding weekend, the mountain bike weekend would win hands down every time.

warton
    Free Member

aah yes, the road bike for training purposes idea.

I did that 2 years ago. I now own no MTBs and 4k worth of road bike!

stevemtb
    Free Member

Cancel the order right now!

Seriously, step away from the road bike. It just gets far too expensive. Can’t just have one set of gear as pretty much nothing from the world of mtbing can be used. Tyres and tubes are different sizes, clothing and shoes has to be different, can’t even wear the same style of helmet. Only thing I actually share is glasses, possibly socks!

Even the training gets difficult, I’ve been doing loads of road training for the Etape Caledonia and now this weekend I’m riding 10 under the Ben. Not even sure I can remember how to ride off-road!

Apart from the cost side, you’re probably going to end up loving it. I bought a cheap roadie for commuting and am now a member of a club and my roadie actually costs more than any of my mtbs – something’s not right there!

stevemtb
    Free Member

Legs still remain un-shaven though – no plans to do that yet!!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Wait until you start racing and riding with a club.

binners

I shall be joining you on the darkside this week. The commute is the justification I’m using.

May the lord have mercy on my soul. Take me down.

kevtoo
    Free Member

stevemtb- that’s why the Crank Bros pedals- so I can use my shoes (I’ve got Candies on my MTB) and I’ve no intention (or cash) to have a “road only” helmet or gear. Already spend WAAAAY too much on MTB gear and don’t ride anything like enough to justify it!

You’ll spot me, I’ll be the idiot at the back in boardies or 3/4 Camo Enduras and a mud splattered helmet 😉 I will wear my lycra ST jersey though (… mind you I do love the look of those retro Brooks wool ones…)

Taff
    Free Member

Stumpy FSR will still be “Sunday Best” though…

I said that about my Kinesis… it’s been very clean for a fair few weeks while the road bike needs a good clean down

stevemtb
    Free Member

Wait until you start racing and riding with a club.

Already do (ride with a club, not much racing) and it still ain’t happening! Also play five-a-sides a few times a week and the (fully justified) abuse I’d get from them (and my mtb buddies) more than cancels out any club related abuse!

Kevtoo – just keep a careful eye on what you start looking at online! All very easy to get into buying road gear too….. Think I started with the Aldi stuff and it’s spiralled from there.

bob_summers

^^^ Don’t footballers shave their legs? I teach English at a Spanish club and most of the players seem to do it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Already do (ride with a club, not much racing) and it still ain’t happening!

Don’t worry. I said exactly the same thing! i used to turn up to club rides and TT’s the only one with hairy legs and i said I’ll never shave my legs.

I started riding a lot more this year and took up racing and now have shaved legs. It just feels right in lycra. Having hair poking out of lycra is not a good look.

racefaceec90

nope 😉 🙂 good luck to you if you enjoy road riding,but i’ll always love/need mountain biking in my life (have never enjoyed riding on the road)

DezB
    Free Member

Well said racefaceec90.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yep – whenever I have to cross a road I think “what’s the point of this tarmac stuff?” and whenever I am down near Leith Hill or Boxhill I just feel pity for all the misguided people riding road bikes 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

I just feel pity for all the misguided people riding road bikes

You do realise you just come off like a ****, saying stuff like that?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I say all cycling is good. I think to really enjoy road riding you have to be fit. That’s part of the appeal to me.. as i’ve got fitter I enjoy it more which led me to have a go at racing.

I always need mountain biking in my life.. There’s nothing like descending a technical rocky trail thinking a 100 miles an hour but i also enjoy going out for a spin on a smooth tarmacked road in the countryside

Harry_the_Spider

About to cross the floor myself. Cannondale road bike on order via C2W.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’ve crossed the other way from road to mtb. miles for the sake of miles was becoming very boring.

tip for road. make sure the bike fits, it will knacker your body otherwise.

damo2576
    Free Member

Just bought a road bike…

Haze

Nothing dark about it, consider yourself enlightened.

Keep the mountain bike for social rides with your fat mates 😉

boblo
    Free Member

jamie, yr nr Pbog aren’t you? Are you in either of the local road clubs?

Pooley
    Free Member

Nice bike, good choice. I think you’ll find lots of us already there!

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Perhaps they should change this forum and connected mag name to Tarmac Magazine. 🙂

thegman67

Once I get the ok from the Docters I plan to buy a road bike to get my strength and fitness levels up before I attempt off-road again

sobriety
    Free Member

I bought a road(ish) bike for commuting on, as the rate at which I destroyed mtb parts was astonishing…

I now own a charge plug, nice n simple and pretty darn quick

campfreddie
    Free Member

already there… great for building your cardio…

Jamie
    Free Member

jamie, yr nr Pbog aren’t you? Are you in either of the local road clubs?

No mate. I’m a lone, lycra clad, wolf.

boblo
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any lone half cyclist/half wolf roadie types lurking around the lanes. Where do you ride mostly?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Having not ridden any of my bikes since New Year I finally ordered some road shoes and pedals as I know I MUST start riding again… and the road bike seemed the best way to start again…

It’s a bottle thing after a couple of spills last year dented my confidence and I started to find any excuse NOT to ride 🙁

Does that count ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Just joined the "dark side"… Anyone coming :-)’ is closed to new replies.