Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Just ha d alook through the classifides…..
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…and ffff me, there's some people wanting silly money for stuff! 😯

Never really noticed it before, but I haven't looked there for a while as I'm a bit skint….

For example – One item is priced at £145 when I bought identical to said item for £185-ish 4 years ago, OUCH!

Not selling though, which isn't surprising………

GaryLake
    Free Member

I expect price rises on new items has driven up prices of used gear a fair bit.

tails
    Free Member

One of the problems in my eyes are people expect S/H to stay cheap when brand new stuff has gone up in price. I price a bit higher than I expect to get as I can't barter up the price.

uplink
    Free Member

there's been a few threads like this recently

There also seems to be loads of folk on there that never [or rarely] bother with this side of the forum & some that are clearly traders – like this fella but the powers to be seem happy to tolerate them so ??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I expect price rises on new items has driven up prices of used gear a fair bit.

Well no, it hasn't. Because it's not selling at those prices. Simples.

glenh
    Free Member

Well, I had something on here a while back for £40 that I just sold for £72 on ebay.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I still price my second hand stuff compared to the price I originally paid for it. I am happy with that and i find stuff sells more quickly like that. I guess I need to become a little more ruthless!

Speshpaul

If you think its too expensive don't buy it!
    The market will find its own level.

tails
    Free Member

yeah i tend to side with glenh people offer what is sometimes very little money for items that hold there price well, they call your bluff thinking you'll fold. Even with ebays high fees it is still a far better market place than classifieds. Someone the other day was looking for a blur 4x saying he'll only pay half price, no you won't son they hold there price well are out of production and the seller will have a fair bit of interest.

Olly
    Free Member

i was gonna put on my C2s for 40 quid (the price i paid for the nines that replaced them, but found a pair on ebay going for 60 quid, so think ill be sticking them on there 🙂

tails
    Free Member

Actually another point but still related and far worse than high prices. People who place wanted ads and then totally ignore your reply, I don't mind you buying from someone else or even wanting poncy sparkly kit. But please reply saying no thanks.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Classifides. it's that Greek philosopher again.
    😉

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Yet another point but still related. Folk who buy stuff off you, then never tell you that they've received it. You then have to start going through Royal Mail's tracing procedure. It costs nothing to drop a quick e-mail saying item received.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Yet another point but still related. Folk who buy stuff off you, then never tell you that they've received it. You then have to start going through Royal Mail's tracing procedure. It costs nothing to drop a quick e-mail saying item received.

sorry, but that's just daft. Why not just assume that they've got it unless they tell you otherwise?

terrahawk
    Free Member

or even send them an email asking them if they got it if you're losing sleep.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

What gets me is people not doing their research before listing.

Selling handle bars for £40 + pap that are used and you can get the same new for £39 delivered!

If you offer them at £30 someone may have them.

Ebay is a good way to gauge your selling cost but there are muppets on there also neglecting their research.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Why not just assume that they've got it unless they tell you otherwise

Remind me never to deal with you. You sound like a postie.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ebay is a good way to gauge your selling cost but there are muppets on there also neglecting their research.

Aint dat da troof!

I've sold stuff on Evilbay and been frankly embarrased by how much I've made on it….

rolfharris
    Free Member

"WTD- something in new or as new condition"

Well, buy a new one then 🙄

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Don't forget you will lose about 15% selling on eBay assuming you are paid with Paypal, still probably worth doing but one to bear in mind

terrahawk
    Free Member

Remind me never to deal with you. You sound like a postie.

and you sound a little bit silly and unreasonable.

barca
    Free Member

I've not been on here much recently so I amy have missed something better but as it goes "Yet another point but still related. Folk who buy stuff off you, then never tell you that they've received it. You then have to start going through Royal Mail's tracing procedure.…" is just about the daftest thing I've come across for a bit.

Dear Mr Postie Postie Procedure Man
    I cannot confirm that the recipient did or did not receive the item I sent but I wonder if you could go and have a look to see if it is somewhere between here and there for me?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Also, I always thought that the classifieds were primarily a way of circulating bike bits (and the odd off-topic bit) amongst other cyclists whereas Ebay was the world's biggest carboot-auction hybrid where the madness of *winning* something drives prices beyond what good sense (as opposed to the stupidity of 'the market') suggests they're actually worth.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Don't forget the age old addage, something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

If said person WANTS said item soooo bad, they'll pay whatever they can to get it within reason.

Hence the reason why you see charge spoons going for more on fleabay than they cost in Evans!

scotabroad

Some folk do ask to much but then they dont sell the items..

I for one have bought a lot of stuff from the stw classifieds with a bit of patience and keeping an eye out I have recieved a lot of really good condition parts and cant complain.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

on the whole had really good experiences on classifieds, but been a few odd experiences of late. Like a seller who keeps advertising wheels despite emailing me a month ago saying he'd send pics, and has chosen to put the price up.
    Sadly for the poster, as I was left to trawl his previous posts I saw a thread asking how to solve a problem with the rear hub. So if he is trying to pass on a pup he's missed an opportunity by blanking me.

And a seller of a nice hardtail that had a load of interest (I got first dibs on forum and via email) and has suddenly disappeared and not responded to either. Fair enough if youve decided not to sell, or decided you want to ask more for it either here or elsewhere, but a reply to serious interest (as in "what's your paypal?") is just common courtesy.

There does seem to be a correlation between issues with vendors, and the ratio of that vendors classifieds vs other forum posts. The people that only come here to sell or speculate have no vested interest or community spirit. The positive experiences far outweigh the negative/neutral though.

rOcKeTdOg

.I think it's time singletrack asked for a fee for selling on the classifieds, l'd not buy anything from anyone I've not chatted with on the other forums, this includes the unsolicited emails u receive from people offering similar items that u've commented on in the classifieds but they can't give u a forum name to establishing their identity and credibility

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am very happy with the classifieds today. Sold my XT shifters in record time 😀

juan
    Free Member

Just had a look on the classified of the "vélo vert" website
    Someone wants 150€ for a second hand inbred frame. News they cost let me see 163€ delivered bonkers…
    mwha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

nbt

I've notice a lot of people who only post on the classifieds. I prefer to deal with people who are part of the community – if that means I miss out on a bargain then I guess that's my tough luck.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im pretty happy with how classifieds function and dont have an issue with "traders", as long as they're not screwing anyone, wheres the problem?
    I have got carried away before and buying something and then realising i was a bit too keen and could have bought the same item for slightly less brand new, hey ho, my fault, was only a couple of quid.
    There are some prices on there which are OTT, but its not compulsory to buy something.
    It does annoy me you see the same item reisted once, perhaps twice a day for weeks at a time. Take the hint, nobodys interested!

daveb
    Free Member

I buy and sell a fair bit on the classifieds, I see stuff on there that I fancy but if I think its too expensive then dont bother. It shouldnt really bother people if someone is asking 'too much' , just dont buy it (or offer what you think it is worth.

iainc

I chuckled the other day when i saw someone posting a jacket (new) for what looked like an ok price………only I bought one from the same place and the same deal, and know that the poster payed £20 less for it than he was asking for on the classifieds -(

uplink
    Free Member

I just don't bother with them any more – I can't be bothered to browse though all the traders ads & way overpriced stuff just to find a reasonable deal
    It's only this year that it's gone this way

perks

I think there is a simple reason for the change – the new rule of HAVING to put prices – what then happens is people put high prices expecting to haggle. I do it myself..I've had such a good experience buying and selling stuff on here (built 4 bikes for family!) but I can see there is less chatter and more of the complaints.

seriously – market value will occur – that's how i've always tried to price stuff – just see what other forum people are selling for and be realistic about condition. i've also sent money back when someone didn't think that my description was quite up to scratch – it was all friendly and good natured and someone bought the item not long after – it wasn't a problem.

I honestly think the mods need to remove the pricing rule so that people can just make offers on kit – remember, as a buyer you can make an offer, as a seller you can always refuse!!!!

juan
    Free Member

Well maybe it's time stw put some money into the registering.
    Dunno something like a 5 to use the bike and chat forum plus a reasonable amount of time the classified (10-15 times?)
    Then another 5£ each time you want to use it for such number of time again maybe?

uplink
    Free Member

I think there is a simple reason for the change – the new rule of HAVING to put prices – what then happens is people put high prices expecting to haggle.

nah – there pretty much always was prices

hora
    Free Member

I've notice a lot of people who only post on the classifieds. I prefer to deal with people who are part of the community – if that means I miss out on a bargain then I guess that's my tough luck.

Noticed a fair few with lots of 'For sale' posts. I dont bother as well.

Plus- its should be 50% of that frames retail not 2009's for a 2007 or 2008 fork etc. There was a frame recently that was listed as 2005….the shock only came on 2003's though 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you think the price is too high but you want the part why not make an offer? You never know your luck.

hora
    Free Member

If you think the price is too high but you want the part why not make an offer? You never know your luck.

True but then you get the real low-ballers.
    Reminds me of the bloke who hounded me to sell my frame to him for a stupid price saying it'd "help me move on from the pain/association" (had an accident on it) if I just got rid of it to him and X-silly price. He still posts on here and he probably doesnt remember. (sorry still bitter about that).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Just ha d alook through the classifides…..’ is closed to new replies.