Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Just enterd 4 Day Transwales – am I a wuss?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Thought I’d try the 4 day solo and see if I enjoy it before I enter the 7 day the next year? 😳

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think you will regret not doing the full 7. i would

foxyrider
    Free Member

phinbob

Yes

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’m doing it on a HT 😯 – 😥

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, not a wuss at all. The first 4 days are the hardest! It gets easier after that……. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh damn these are the last 4 days ! I have never done a multi-day endurance event so didn’t want to bite off more than I can chew – I see it as a prologue for 2012 (if my knees don’t give out completely ) 🙂

stayhigh

I’ve been in two minds myself over whats best to do, either the 4 or 7 dayer. The 4 day seems like a good option as its cheaper and less time off etc but I think I’d regret not doing the full event so thats what I’m gonna go for.

foxyrider
    Free Member

ahhhhhh – nnoooooooo 🙂

Just emailed them to ask if its possible to swap events?

stayhigh

If you can we can suffer together lol

foxyrider
    Free Member

I need to sort my head out 🙁

stayhigh

Me too, thats my registration complete 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hi Richard,
    that is no problem.

Thanks

Michael Wilkens
    TransUK Team

I’m gonna have a good think 🙂

Diane
    Free Member

Not a wuss at all – probably a good idea 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh damn these are the last 4 days

I didn’t mean the first 4 STAGES are the hardest, I meant the first 4 DAYS! If anything the last was the hardest stage, but after 4 days the pain simply didn’t matter any more, if you see what I mean. 🙂

dreednya

I’m thinking about dodging the same – entering the 4-day option, for the exact same reasons as the OP. Going to see how the year pans out as the summer is my busiest time at work as well.

matt23
    Free Member

I was going to do the 7 dayer but I now have to spend 3 weeks possibly 4 weeks in Amsterdam with work so going to enter the 4 day event….as I imagine too many work dinners and drinks will hit my training program….but the boss said I can take the bike out with me….but I doubt I will be doing much hill training out there ❓

NigE5
    Free Member

3 days for me, shame they do not have a super vets category being as this will be a first.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Still thinking 😯

fbk
    Free Member

Can I put the first bid in to buy your hard tail off you at the end of the week. I reckon you’ll pay me to take it away 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not with my new Cane Creek sus seatpost 😉

Edit: but not wanting to jinx myself there 😉

mcobie
    Free Member

I hope I’ve not bitten off more than I can chew – entered the 7 day solo 😯

Going to do it on my Cotic Hemlock I think – not much heavier than the Soul but probably a lot more comfortable!

fbk
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to see how well that works. Just been out on my HT for the first time in months – I felt properly battered on the descents*. If its good then it should make a difference though 🙂

* still great fun though and dead easy on not-too-technical stuff – nice to have it working again 🙂

Algore
    Free Member

Welcome along. Prologue, 4day or 7 day, they each have their own benefits and also weaknesses. Reckon you’ll love it.
    I’ll be back for the 3rd year.
    Generally speaking any bike is fine for it and the different special stages means than no one bike is better than any other.

flange100
    Free Member

go for full seven days , hard tail is fine , took my full sus last year after 2 days of doing 10km climbs about 3 times a day wished id taken my ht

stayhigh

I’m in two minds as to whether to take my Heckler or Scandal, pros and cons for both I guess so I’ll figure it out nearer the time. Its a good job we dont have to declare what were riding first lol

flange100
    Free Member

single speed it

stayhigh

Funnily enough I’ve been running the Scandal singlespeed for a few weeks now but reckon I’ll fancy some gears for this, especially looking at the total climbs for each stage from last year.

chiefP
    Free Member

Last year i was tempted by the Mini Trans Wales. I only started doing enduro’s last year and the longest i did was 60+ Km on the Dyfi enduro in May and for some reason i went with the whole 7 days and loved it and did not regret doing the 7. As long as you can pace yourself and they give you a pretty good time to make the cut off you will be fine but if you dont care about where you finish or the time you come in then you wont have much of a problem.

Out of the 7 days, day 3 and the longest day was the best day for me especially the SS down the Climachx.

There was a few last year that did the Mini but if i remember rightly a few wanted to stay on and do the whole event 😀

Also lots of HT last year and most were in the top 10, Ryan Hawson and Rickie Cotter to name a few who won the Male and Female cat.

Im tempted to do it again this year if im back from Canada in time and you certainly wont regret it.

TOP TIP – Take plenty of Chamois cream for that Saddle Sorness, it nearly killed me 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh cool – thanks for the tips – gonna see how my CC seatpost works and if its as plush as people say I might got for the 7 Day 🙂

TexWade
    Free Member

Deffo do the 7.

Great event – part of the attraction of this event is being able to ride along in a group without it all being too competitive with everybody worried about times. As noted above times are generous and you will easily make the cut.

I did this last year and hooked up with three other riders and we had a great laugh out on the trail and after in the bar. If you join later there is less of an opportunity to find your riding buddies.

On the other hand if camping is not your thing then 7 days in Wales, in the rain, can be extremely grim – I found the perpetual wet/damp more taxing than the riding frankly.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how far is it? fully supported or carry own kit? cost?

foxyrider
    Free Member
    chiefP
    Free Member

TexWade,

Did you camp in the rain on day 5? The best thing about coming in late on that day was i got a space in the barn and had a dry night, well dry for a short while before the night stage 😀

And Get on the 7 days, i went not knowing anyone and left with a fair few good freinds. One of the best things i have done.

stayhigh

Hmm now with the threat of the inevitable welsh drizzle I may just use this as a good excuse to buy a new tent lol

chiefP
    Free Member

It was a monsoon on the Night stage and the morning of day 6, nothing like riding through the forest during a thunderstorm 😯

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Just enterd 4 Day Transwales – am I a wuss?’ is closed to new replies.