Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Just deleted my facebook account
  • legend
    Free Member

That’s all fair enough, but I can’t see it being a negative whatever they choose to do with the fact that they know what I look like.
    I’m not being difficult, I just honestly can’t see a downside to Facebook being able to match my Face to my Name ?
    If someone can point out a potential downside, I would be happy to listen.

Simples, think if how much more effective a Terminator is now that it doesn’t just have the phone book to use!!

Cougar

They’re only in business for one thing, and that’s to make money.

Um, that’s generally why companies exist in the first place, n’est-ce pas?

Too much information! I’m not sure what is more disturbing….. The fact that you think that or the fact that you actually posted it on a forum.

What’s more disturbing is he appears to have realised I’m doing it.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Never been interested in anything like Facebook; I’d rather lean over the fence and have a yarn with my neighbours.

Fencebook 🙂

Duggan

I binned mine a while ago and it doesn’t seem to have made any difference to my life really.

I think it’s probably a great tool if you make the effort to update and use it proactively but I could never be bothered so figured it’s better to have no account then an account lying dormant.

Please note that I do not think I am really cool or subversive for deleting my account, I’m sure there are plenty doing it and I have nothing against Facebook at all.

I can’t imagine having an account or not actually affecting anyone’s social life though unless you’re 15 or something- nobody I know actually arranges nights out or anything via Facebook and even if they did they would just text or phone me anway.

fivespot
    Free Member

whats facebook 8)

GrahamS

I can’t imagine having an account or not actually affecting anyone’s social life though unless you’re 15 or something- nobody I know actually arranges nights out or anything via Facebook

Part of the reason I finally relented and got an account was that I realised I was missing out on hearing about stuff that my mates were up to.

They’d posted it all on FB, with photos and videos, so “everyone” knew.

Back in the day we’d send emails. These days I rarely email anyone I know well, it is 90% through Facebook.

And yes, we arrange nights out etc through Facebook – currently planning a get-together at a festival next month in fact.

I’m not 15, I’m 37. 🙂

Duggan

Fair enough, but surely they weren’t excluding you from being invited to stuff purely because you weren’t on facebook?!

philconsequence
    Free Member

Too much information! I’m not sure what is more disturbing….. The fact that you think that or the fact that you actually posted it on a forum.

whats disturbing is that you’ve obviously never received messages from teh ladies informing you that they’ve been doing it to your photos….

if you’d seen darcy you’d know he’s not ‘thinking’ that, he’s knowing that

#toocutetobegay

GrahamS

Fair enough, but surely they weren’t excluding you from being invited to stuff purely because you weren’t on facebook?!

My mates are all at least a three hour drive away. Some a require a flight.

So no, it wasn’t that I was invited down the pub with them on a Friday, more that I didn’t know about things happening in their lives that “everyone” else did.

So when we did manage to meet up the conversation would go:

Mate 1: “Hey, saw the video and photos of your trip to Islay. Looked great.”

Mate 2: “Yeah thanks. It was a great trip.”

Me: “You were in Islay?”

Mate 1: “I was pissing myself at that bit where you nearly stacked your road bike into a sheep”

Me: “You have a road bike now??”

Mate 1: “And your wife was looking quite merry at that distillery!”

Me: “Wait. You got married??”

etc etc

donsimon
    Free Member

So when we did manage to meet up the conversation would go:

Mate 1: “Hey, saw the video and photos of your trip to Islay. Looked great.”

Mate 2: “Yeah thanks. It was a great trip.”

Me: “You were in Islay?”

Mate 1: “I was pissing myself at that bit where you nearly stacked your road bike into a sheep”

Me: “You have a road bike now??”

Mate 1: “And your wife was looking quite merry at that distillery!”

Me: “Wait. You got married??”

etc etc
    Have you got the hint yet? 😉

Cougar

On the subject of privacy, anyone who’s interested in this stuff (and if not, why not?) may benefit from completing my mate’s survey I posted a few days back. It tells you a few interesting things that you probably didn’t know about Facebook and data.

I’ve looked into this at length and am coming to the conclusion that, from an informed point of view, I really don’t care all that much. Facebook (arguably) provides a useful service, and its users ‘pay’ for that service by allowing FB to build a profile of you for things like targeted advertising. If I’m going to see adverts, it seems sensible to see ones that might be vaguely relevant to my interests.

I’m not a big fan of FB, truth be told, but I find it useful to have an account as it’s often a common denominator when organising things involving disparate groups of people.

Its games and apps are annoying, but once blocked they do stay blocked. I find as well that the bulk of the twaddle comes from a minority of prolific, uh, twaddlers, so it’s sometimes more effective to deal with that at source. So what I’m trying to say I think is, it’s not the tool iteself which is inherently faulty, it’s the tools on your ‘friends’ lists who are using it.

IMHO, etc.

miketually
    Free Member

Your friends are still posting photos of you on Facebook. They’re still tagging them as you. They’re still mentioning you in status updates.

But now you have no control or knowledge of it. Well done.

GrahamS

On the subject of privacy, anyone who’s interested in this stuff (and if not, why not?) may benefit from completing my mate’s survey I posted a few days back.

Just did it. Decent survey that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find as well that the bulk of the twaddle comes from a minority of prolific, uh, twaddlers

I blocked my cousin a few year ago for that reason. She’s now 19 and a lot more interesting, so she’s unblocked 🙂 Her brother otoh is 15 and very funny in a cool way, and doesn’t spam.

GrahamS

The “Acquaintances” list is quite useful for people you don’t want completely block but don’t want to hear from every day either.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/252348/use_facebooks_acquaintance_list_suggestions_to_simplify_your_antisocial_friendsorting.html

DezB
    Free Member

Your friends are still posting photos of you on Facebook. They’re still tagging them as you. They’re still mentioning you in status updates.

And I haven’t deleted my Facebook account, but rarely log in… What’s the difference?

Duggan

Your friends could do all of these things in real life when you’re not there without Facebook. I.e they may talk about you in the pub when you’re not there, you get mentioned in stories and anecdotes when you’re not present. What’s the difference?

Plus it would be a bizarre reason to have a fb account based purely on the fact you’re worried what your friends may say or do when you can’t see.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Dezinald, i’m going to find you on facebook and touch you in places you didnt know existed

GrahamS

they may talk about you in the pub when you’re not there… What’s the difference?

The landlord of the pub isn’t recording it all so he can show it to your other friends and family (and their friends) and sell it on to advertisers and other interested parties?

Well at least not in my local anyway. yours might be different.

Duggan

The landlord of the pub isn’t recording it all so he can show it to your other friends and family (and their friends) and sell it on to advertisers and other interested parties?

Well at least not in my local anyway. yours might be different

I suspect the landlord in my local probably is into recording stuff but that’s another story.

It’s a fair point but if you’re worried about privacy and Facebook, surely it is essentially counterproductive to actually have an account only to keep track of what is being said/posted about you because you’re so worried about said privacy. Seems contradictory.

Cougar

Seems paranoid.

Solo
    Free Member

I never bothered with Twit book, or whatever its all called.

What am I missing for not having twitterface ?.

GrahamS

What am I missing for not having twitterface ?.

If you are not interested in what your friends, family and other people or organisations you like are up to, then not much really. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Graham_S.

I genuinely appreciate the answer / explaination.
    Believe it or not, I never really knew what all that pullarva was about and in one sentence you’ve wrapped it up for me brilliantly.

And you’re correct, I need not apply.
    Cheers.
    😀

GrahamS

The other aspect may be that Facebook is quickly becoming the “Internet Login”

i.e. rather than having their own login system many sites now require you to log in with a facebook account (or Google+ or OpenID).

Facebook currently seems to be winning this battle hands down (shame cos OpenID is “better”/less corporate)

So for some people it might be worth having a bare bones facebook account just for that. (No idea if that applies to you Solo, prob not by the sounds of it).

scuzz
    Free Member

The other aspect may be that Facebook is quickly becoming the “Internet Login”

Don’t make me leave the internet 🙁

Solo
    Free Member

many sites now require you to log in with a facebook account
    😯

Sounds a bit risky to me.
    surely there will be folk who might want to purchase an item or a service and will not take kindly to being forced to create an F/B acc ?.

My initial, perhaps unenlightened, reaction would be to say ” Stuff you ” Mr whoever you are forcing me to have an F/B acc.
    I’ll go else where.
    😐

philconsequence
    Free Member

surely there will be folk who might want to purchase an item or a service and will not take kindly to being forced to create an F/B acc ?.

My initial, perhaps unenlightened, reaction would be to say ” Stuff you ” Mr whoever you are forcing me to have an F/B acc.
    I’ll go else where.

whilst i’ve never been asked to log in using facebook to buy anything, i do feel the same… if i’m asked to log in via facebook or download a facebook app to read a news item for example, i’ll shut it down and go elsewhere. no you can’t have access to my profile information, you dont need it.

GrahamS

True, but for every one of them there are another ten who like that they can just press “Login with Facebook” instead of creating yet another website account, filling out yet another set of users details, and remember yet another username and password.

Some example sites off the top of my head: Endomondo, Strava, Stack Overflow/Exchange, Khan Academy, Get Satisfaction, Gizmodo, LifeHacker..

Apps too are doing this: e.g. Draw Something and Infinity Blade II both use Facebook to authenticate and find your friends.

GrahamS

if i’m asked to log in via facebook or download a facebook app to read a news item for example, i’ll shut it down and go elsewhere.

Yeah, some companies don’t quite get it yet…

– from http://theoatmeal.com/comics/state_web_spring

scuzz
    Free Member

True, but for every one of them there are another ten who like that they can just press “Login with Facebook” instead of creating yet another website account, filling out yet another set of users details, and remember yet another username and password.

And this may well become the societal norm. Which will make my visiting of ‘fringe’ websites which allow anonymity the societal equivalent of living in a tent in the woods.
    I’m going to be “that guy” aren’t I?

Cougar

Most(?) sites that offer a FB login do just that – offer a FB login. I can’t offhand think of any where it’s mandatory.

no you can’t have access to my profile information, you dont need it.

It’s the other way around, actually. What the site sees is (theoretically) strictly controlled, the flow of information is to Facebook, not from it.

druidh
    Free Member

LOL at GrahamS. That’s exactly what I do with linked pages from various sites….

Cougar

Arguably, security through FB isn’t wholly a bad thing, certainly compared to other sites’ practices.

As an example, I got an email from a website the other day trying to get me to revisit their site. Included in the email, in plain text and unsolicited by me, were my user ID and password. Now, the fact that this is even possible is Very Bad, stored passwords should be held with one-way encryption, but then choosing to send them to me on a whim in about the most insecure method possible? Suddenly, having Facebook know I bought some brake pads last week doesn’t seem all bad.

Solo
    Free Member

Wow !.

It strikes me now that the gloves are really coming off, with companies turning the internet to their business centred will.

Seems a bit dark.

Don’t like.

GrahamS

Most(?) sites that offer a FB login do just that – offer a FB login. I can’t offhand think of any where it’s mandatory.

It’s coming. Gawker Media (Lifehacker, Gizmodo, Jezebel, io9, Deadspin, Kotaku etc) recently made it compulsory for commenters to log in with a Facebook, Google or Twitter account.

Cougar

It’s coming.

One company trying it does not mean anything is ‘coming’. It’s been tried before and people vote with their feet.

Matters not a jot in the grand scheme of things though, it’d take me less time than writing this post to create an alternate disposable Twitter or Facebook account.

Thinking about it, I might do that anyway. Then I can use their convenient SSO facilities without any privacy concerns at all.

GrahamS

One company trying it does not mean anything is ‘coming’. It’s been tried before and people vote with their feet.

One massive media company with a family of popular websites.

There are plenty of others too, plus as I said, phone apps etc that need facebook (or similar) to be activate functionality or play aspects of the game.

Thinking about it, I might do that anyway. Then I can use their convenient SSO facilities without any privacy concerns at all.

Yep not a bad plan. OpenID is an much better system too. Vote with your feet by favouring that over Facebook when you are given a choice. If you are a proper geek (and I know you are Cougar) you can even run your own OpenID server so you know exactly where your data is.

Cougar

EDIT: (Post deleted cos I’m talking nonsense)

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, FB log-in from other sites is optional for convenience, not mandatory.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Just deleted my facebook account’ is closed to new replies.