Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Just deleted my facebook account
  • wool

Got sick of it sucking up my time and reading rubbish about something farm what’s all that about? anyone else done the same?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, just don’t log on. PoS in my opinion.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yay! You’ve now got more time to spend on here. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Probably a really good idea to spend the time that you have saved by deleting your Facebook account, by talking about deleting your Facebook account on a forum.

:mrgreen:

AlasdairMc

Haha, you deleted your Facebook account yet felt compelled to tell the world about it… Oh the ironing.

Edit: Beaten to it 🙁

GrahamS

Erm no.

I just spent five seconds learning how to block all the messages from FarmVille etc instead. (You just hover over it, click the X then it asks if you if you always want to block FarmVille and you click Yes. Job done).

I love FaceBook by the way, despite swearing for years that I’d never join it.

Brainflex

still be there in six months anyway if you want it back.

carlosg
    Free Member

welcome back to the real world , now go ride your bike!

teethgrinder

Nope. Tailor it to how you want it…ignore the asshats.

wool

😆

jam-bo

Get a google+ account instead. Won’t get bothered there.

nealglover
    Free Member

welcome back to the real world ……

This isn’t the real world though is it.

It’s the Internet.

A bit like exactly like Facebook.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yep bored of it “so & so’s wife has hung the washing out to dry & Im now having a nice cuppa..”

Seriously, who gives a flying F!

Haze

You’ll be back…

Garry_Lager

Good for you. Social media is corrosive and has been shown to shrink your balls. You’ve done well to escape with your sack intact.

kayak23

If you find it pointless and boring, your friends are probably pointless and boring(or not on Facebook)… 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

Facebook is great for photo sharing, and for keeping in touch with people who I would otherwise lose contact with (because I am lazy).

farmthingy and any of that carp got blocked years ago so don’t bother me. I keep my friend list quite small (limited to only people who I am interested in hearing about), have a look fairly regularly (the most frequent being when I’m on the bog 😉 ), but normally I don’t go further than the last 2 or 3 notifications.

If you find it is sucking up your time, that is probably a problem with you, not with facebook :mrgreen:

Dave

Steve77
    Free Member

Yeah, it just sounds like you have tedious friends

teethgrinder

Facebook is great for fwapping over pics of girls you went to school with photo sharing, and for keeping in touch with people who I would otherwise lose contact with (because I am lazy).

farmthingy and any of that carp got blocked years ago so don’t bother me. I keep my friend list quite small (limited to only people who I am interested in hearing about), have a look fairly regularly (the most frequent being when I’m on the bog ), but normally I don’t go further than the last 2 or 3 notifications.

If you find it is sucking up your time, that is probably a problem with you, not with facebook

CountZero

What’s FarmVille? I’ve got several dozen Fb contacts, a fair number real friends and family, and the rest are bands and artists, and I never, ever, get FarmVille or any other stupid games on my news feed.
    You must be doing something wrong, it’s all about discriminating who you have on there.
    Recent posts from the Smoke Fairies, Shawn Colvin, Metric, Alison Goldfrapp, Kathryn Williams and The Pond are keeping me up to date with album recording and releases, new tours, etc, which never functioned as well on shonky MySpace.

molgrips
    Free Member

reading rubbish about something farm what’s all that about?

I don’t get any of that crap. You have full control, just exercise it.

If your family and friends are dull, don’t blame facebook 🙂 I love hearing about what my overseas family are up to. Made some friends too from my wife’s extended family who I don’t actually see in real life.

alfabus
    Free Member

@teethgrinder, if you’d left in the bit about doing it when on the big, your fix would have been about perfect 😉

Dave

CountZero

Btw, just got this through Fb via Flipboard:
    http://urbanvelo.org/state-bicycle-co-massacre-fgfs-bike-review/
    Looks like a fun pub bike…

andytherocketeer

You have full control

For what you see maybe, but for security/privacy, no way.

They’re only in business for one thing, and that’s to make money.
    If they want my personal info… they can pay me for it. If friends want to give them my personal info… they can ask me first.

Glad my parents haven’t found out about it yet. Email and blog keeps me up to date with their various trips around the country / EU. Twitter keeps me up to date with news.

donsimon
    Free Member

For what you see maybe, but for security/privacy, no way.

How do they get hold of the stuff you don’t tell them?

andytherocketeer

other people tell them 😉

Photo tagging and face recognition is a prime example.
    Only control you have is *after* friends have tagged photos. You can say you don’t want that displayed, but sorry, too late, FB know what you look like now.

edit: and no clue what gets profiled by the inclusion of those FB apps that appear in many/most websites now. I assume it’s a way of getting around blocked 3rd party cookies, and FB profile every site you look at just by having FB cookies (and probably being “logged in”).

donsimon
    Free Member

other people tell them

A bit like the real world then?
    Too much paranoia with Facebook IMO.
    Facebook knows what you look like, and? This is assuming that you don’t walk around with a bag over your head.
    I’ve never considered someone matching my name with my face as being an invasion of privacy. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

FB know what you look like now.

Why should I be worried by that.

Genuine question, I couldn’t care less who knows what I look like, but maybe I’m missing something ??

andytherocketeer

No problem if people tag me, and that was the end of it. Bit freaky that they can analyse *any* pic now and determine that “ooh that might be Andy”. Worse that instead of then asking me “we think this is you would you like to be tagged?”, they ask the photo owner “we think this is Andy, do you want to tag him? (and improve our recognition algorithm)”.

My friends know what I look like. They know stuff about me. No need for me (or them) to publish that to a massive corporation as well.

nealglover
    Free Member

Still not sure why I should care ??

What is the downside, genuinely can’t see one.

teethgrinder

FB can do facial recognition now, so you only need to worry if your friends have taken photos of you having a facial.

And you might need to worry a bit more then…

scuzz
    Free Member

Still not sure why I should care ??

What is the downside, genuinely can’t see one.

Don’t forget, Facebook have a habit of changing the privacy ‘rules’ (as well as the scope of service they offer) – no matter whether there is a downside now, do you really trust there never to be a downside? That’s not to say avoid-avoid-avoid, just use these services with your eyes open.

globalti
    Free Member

Never been interested in anything like Facebook; I’d rather lean over the fence and have a yarn with my neighbours.

Drac

Never been interested in anything like Facebook; I’d rather lean over the fence and have a yarn with my neighbours.

They’re not mutually exclusive.

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t forget, Facebook have a habit of changing the privacy ‘rules’ (as well as the scope of service they offer) – no matter whether there is a downside now, do you really trust there never to be a downside? That’s not to say avoid-avoid-avoid, just use these services with your eyes open.

That’s all fair enough, but I can’t see it being a negative whatever they choose to do with the fact that they know what I look like.

I’m not being difficult, I just honestly can’t see a downside to Facebook being able to match my Face to my Name ?

If someone can point out a potential downside, I would be happy to listen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve always found the concept that a stranger somewhere may be masturbating over my photo to be a turn-on.

Mackem

Ah yes, facebook suicide seems to be the latest fad for the “cool” kids.

They just end up emailing you all the time to find out what´s going on, where to meet, what time etc.

Matt24k
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    I’ve always found the concept that a stranger somewhere may be masturbating over my photo to be a turn-on.

Too much information! I’m not sure what is more disturbing….. The fact that you think that or the fact that you actually posted it on a forum.

hora
    Free Member

I don’t understand the negativity around Facebook.

GrahamS

My friends know what I look like.

I think you are missing the point of tagging. It’s not so your friends can go “who is that bloke”, *hover* “Oh it’s andy” – it so you know when someone posts a photo that you are in and so you (and everyone else) can easily see all the photos you appear in.

not to say avoid-avoid-avoid, just use these services with your eyes open.

Exactly. Like Google, it is just a very useful service that you pay for with little bits of privacy. It’s up to you to determine how much you want to spend and control your finances.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Just deleted my facebook account’ is closed to new replies.