Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Just cracked my second bike in 2 weeks (this time it’s the Spark) Cheer me up!
  • Epic
    Free Member

Two weeks ago it was my DH rig (now fixed with a second hand back end off Bikeradar), now it’s my 4 month old Spark 50. Covered by warranty but, it’s all hassle i don’t need.

Too many pies? I weigh 96kg (heavy I know) but have done so for 10yrs, and I’ve never broken any bike before now.

It’s a Scott Spark 50 (the alloy one). It’s cracked on the chainstay, just 15mm behind the chainstay/BB pivot, on the non drive side. Not impressed, as I’m certainly no hooligan on my XC bikes (that’s what I keep an old DH rig for!).

Anyone else heard of a similar alloy Spark issue, or is this a one off?
    🙁

solamanda
    Free Member

Sorry if this sounds unsympathetic but the first frame was a very old dh bike (iirc) and the second a super light xc race bike. Neither of which are low risks for breakages!

Good luck getting them working quickly.

alpin
    Free Member

i had a scott scale and that frame twisted on the top tube after a lazy fall/slide down a muddy hill. really soft.

don’t want a ‘race’ HT after that experience.

BearBack
    Free Member

now it’s my 4 month old Spark 50. Covered by warranty but, it’s all hassle i don’t need.

As an LBS, you should have the part in a matter of days.. plus the staff to fit it.. shouldn’t you?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Nightmare! At least you have used up a fair amount of bad luck.

Epic
    Free Member

I was incorrect above, it’s actually on the drive side:

Bearback, you’re kind of correct, I do work in my LBS. But I’m subject to the same time scales and warranty process as the public (return to Scott warranty in uk, wait for them to examine it, then they despatch a replacement). This could be 4 days, it could be 10 if they’re busy.

It’s just the hassle factor than annoys me. I don’t often treat myself to a new bike, so hoped for a few years trouble free riding, as you would. Our workshop won’t be removing/re-building it as they’re seriously stacked out for 10 days with custom build. It’ll just be me back home in the corner of my garage, with a beer of course.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Just cracked my second bike in 2 weeks (this time it’s the Spark) Cheer me up!’ is closed to new replies.