Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Just built a Superlight…
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Feels Superheavy compared to my hardtail…

I guess thats the trade off for fs. This is my first fs bike so will have to get used to it.

But any quick weight saving tips (the bike not me) – I think most of my kit is pretty decent, XT, Rebas, Crossrides.

I guess new forks would offer biggest saving? Anything else that would be good bang for the buck?

Del

rebas are already pretty light IMO.
    do you mean it feels heavy to pick up, or pedals as though it’s heavy?
    tyres/tubes?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

crossrides 1920g – theres one issue

damo2576
    Free Member

Mean it feels heavy to pick up and bit heavy to pedal – but guess its always going to compared to HT.

Crossrides – I always thought they were pretty light wheels – will look into it.

Whats best bang for buck wheel set?

Del

stans i expect. TBH though i know **** all about lightweight bikes. i have one hardtail that weighs 33lbs ( and love it! ).
    i’d see how you get on with it first, before you start throwing more money at it.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Why do you need to make it ‘super light’? I’d try it for a while rather than chuck loads of money at it. Too many folk on here worry more about the weight of the bike rather than the performance when actually out riding IMHO 😆

granny_ring

My crossrides were over 2kg with tapes and skewers.
    hope/crest wheels should save a bit on that for about £250

damo2576
    Free Member

Just weighed it – 27lb according to my bathroom scales…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Perfectly reasonable weight for a trail fs, are you planning on racing? If so get a set of lighter wheels.

granny_ring

Yeah I’d be happy with that weight but would still go for the hope wheels as well though.

mildred

Out of intereste, what HT are you comparing it to, and how much does that weigh?

sofatester
    Free Member

Just ride it.

martymac

my p7 weighs about 27, i wouldnt say it was especially light,
    but i can go anywhere on it and it doesnt break down, and it feels light to ride.
    performance and reliability come first IMHO,
    no point having a really light bike that you need to push home because of a breakdown.

anotherstan
    Free Member

27lbs? what’s wrong with that? my superheavy weighs 28lbs (slx, minutes, pro2s/dt ex500s) which i’m very happy with. as stated above, it’s how it rides that’s important.

edit – have had it much lighter in the past, but i prefer the way it performs now that it’s a bit burlier(?)

KT1973
    Free Member

Have a look at THIS THREAD with some superlights on. Mine is the blue one a few posts down and weighs 24lb. I’m changing the brakes soon because they keep rubbing.

damo2576
    Free Member

Out of intereste, what HT are you comparing it to, and how much does that weigh?

Was a Giant XTC, not sure how much the bike weighed, have bare frame now though and its bloody light. 1.5kg I’d guess?

br
    Free Member

So there’s 4 lbs between the frames, that will require a serious spend to loose that on componants.

andrewh
    Free Member

Whats best bang for buck wheel set?

Tune King/Kong on FRM330 (see German ebay, should be under £400)
    More bang for (lots) more bucks Tune Pricess/Dezibel on Innolite Carbons. Very nice. Loose the best part of 2Lbs over the Crossrides.

damo2576
    Free Member

So there’s 4 lbs between the frames, that will require a serious spend to loose that on componants

Yep, think I have to accept its gonna be heavier.

Just so I know, what are the lightest fs frames? I dont need massive travel.

Del

think you have one – clues in the name 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Was a Giant XTC, not sure how much the bike weighed, have bare frame now though and its bloody light. 1.5kg I’d guess?

Bare (unbuilt) frames are always bloody light, if you didn’t know the built weight then you are pissing in the wind comparing them.

drain

IIRC the XTC is about 1.3kg so say 3 lbs, and the Superlight is a smidge over 5 lbs (all dependent on frame size). So a couple of pounds in it.

I got my Superlight to about 24 lbs with nothing bling, just judicious 2nd hand XT / X9 kit and some decent DT wheels (4.1 on 240s). A bit heavier now with tubeless but a fair trade-off IMO.

Seems like your wheels are your best bet if you do want to go on a diet 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Just built a Superlight…’ is closed to new replies.