Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Just been knocked off my bike – what do I do now?
  • jakd95
    Free Member

Cycling back from uni a couple of hours ago on a reasonably large road with heavy, slow moving traffic through Leeds I was knocked off my bike. I was riding down the cycle lane on the left side of the road with a van directly to my left at about 15mph, the van then cut directly across me to take a side road without indicating. I didn’t have any time to react and hit the front left wing leaving a large dent in the van. The bike (old town bike) has a buckled front wheel and bent bars and I have a few grazes and bruises, feeling quite sore now.

The guy (BT van) stopped straight away and I have his number, name, reg and a flatmate who saw what happened. He said he was obliged to report it to BT and was very apologetic about it all, he obviously wasn’t paying attention when he pulled into me.

The point being, what do I do now? Wait until Monday and give BT a call after he’s had chance to report it? I don’t particularly want to be left out of pocket for fixing the bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Better let the cops know so they can decide whether the driver should face charges or not.

Careless driving is an offence.

Hope yr feeling better soon.

aP
    Free Member

Go to A&E and get checked, ask for a reference number, take photos of your bike and any damage to yourself and clothing, go to Police and report it as RTC – get reference number.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

All of the above – don’t worry about bike BT will pick up the tab, particulalry if you’ve reported it and have a witness.

drslow
    Free Member

First of all, put a lottery ticket on.

Second, contact local police station and report RTA with all details

Third, Do you have any insurance, British Cycling, legal cover on house? Might be worth seeing what their t+cs are

Lastly get some pain killers in as you’ll develop some aches. Good luck.

wwaswas

Go to A&E and get checked

I wouldn;t unless you believe you have a head or neck injury then ‘a bit sore’ probably doesn’t warrant the time, effort and cost of a hospital visit.

moshimonster
    Free Member

As above, report the incident to the Police and they will probably advise you of next steps anyway. A trip to A&E is a good idea, especially if you banged your head.

torsoinalake
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not a Dr, so maybe I’m a bit blase about it, but do people really go to A&E every time they bang their head, just in case they’re concussed? And if you did, what did they actualy do?

My last 5 trips:

5) broken arm
    4) borken arm
    3) broken arm
    2) fostbite
    1) cut my forhead from eyesocket to hairline (turned out I’d done such a thorough job there wasn’t enough skin either side left to stitch it so they just left it anyway)

A&E’s busy enough without going in with every minor or potential injury.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ll bet medical staff recommended you do.

jamiep
    Free Member

Disagree with advice to go to A&E. Sure, go if it is an emergency, don’t if it isn’t

Jamie
    Free Member

Disagree with the A&E bit as well.

Isn’t that what those Walk In Centres are for?

iainc

if reporting it, just check your words are right – I suspect you mean teh van was on your right, not left ?

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

See your GP to get checked over + any cuts/bruises recorded (just in case of further issues downstream).

leth
    Free Member

If your just feeling a bit sore I’d just report it to the police, get a reference number & then contact BT.

If you think you’ve banged your head or done more than just cuts and bruises a quick visit to the doctor would be a good Idea.

crankboy
    Free Member

as injury caused legal obligation to report to police on the part of arguably both of you .

don’t go to AE unless you need treatment . if you had come off off road and had these injury’s would you be going ?

see how bad you feel but in you shoes I would want a new wheel and bars plus a few quid for the cuts and bruises.

Bentleys solicitors on Burley road are good for a bit of background info and a no win no fee road traffic claim if it is worth it . No fee does cost you 20% of any win though.

jakd95
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’ve just called the Police and had it logged, they won’t be taking any action and that’s not what I was after anyway. I’ll call BT on Monday and get the bike sorted through them, hopefully it’ll be relatively easy to get some money for the bike to be fixed.

I won’t be going to A&E, I didn’t hit my head and it would just end up being a waste of time for everyone. I fell off off-road last week with similar injury results and they are still a little sore but healing fine.

(Iainc – I mixed up my words, the van was on my right)

hjghg5
    Free Member

When I got knocked off I didn’t go to A&E (or indeed anywhere else) on the day of the accident but did go to the Walk in Centre the next day once the aches and pains had time to show themselves…

project
    Free Member

glad your ok,, lots of cycling mags have no win no fee solicitors who will chase the firm for your losses

bear-uk
    Free Member

The problem now is that you have discussed this issue on an open forum. should this police want to take this case any further you are fubared. The CPS will just through it out. Been there and had the t shirt.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Just been knocked off my bike – what do I do now?’ is closed to new replies.