Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Just been for my NHS old gits health check
  • Edric64
    Free Member

And i`m well pleased !

Cholestrol 3.34

Blood Pressure 113/75

BMI 24.2

Ten year risk score 3.39 and that`s only that high because of a diabetic mum and a dad who had a stroke

Training and dieting must be worth it.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Just had a letter through for mine. How long did it take?

woody2000

How old do you have to be for one of those? 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@eric training and dieting are worth it but a lot of that is hireditary. I’ve had high cholesterol and blood pressure since I was in my early 20’s … anyway interesting I’ll make sure I do mine

Edric64
    Free Member

You get invited after you are 45 i`m 49 now that was my first one

Edric64
    Free Member

Got a letter in September ,booked it this week .It took 20 mins

TiRed

I had one from Bupa and the doctor didn’t believe my alcohol consumption was so low. If you are a regular cyclist, you should really not have one until 55.

oldboy
    Free Member

Is it a national initiative, or just a local GP thing?

kcal

never heard of these — just the bowel cancer letter, lovely 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I think its a national thing for those of us between 45 and 70

oldboy
    Free Member

Really! Well, I’ve never had one and I’m a little bit older than you.

bruneep

You get invited after you are 45 i`m 49 now that was my first one

48 and never been invited 😐

Saying that I do get a infrequent fitness test at work every 3 yrs. that showed cholesterol level of 7.68 😯 going for proper blood test the morn.

julians
    Free Member

You get it when you turn 40 don’t you?
    The letter inviting me to mine landed on the mat on my 40th birthday

Going to see them next week.

Esme
    Free Member

I’ve never even heard of these, and I’m a little bit lot older than you 😕

mark90
    Free Member

Turned 40 in August and got the letter a couple of weeks ago. Must get round to booking an appointment.

Blackhound

I had two a year apart at 51 and 52. At 52 I had better results, I was stressed at work at 51 but retired by 52 and numbers were better, unsurprisingly.

oldboy
    Free Member

It must be a local initiative – I could be dead before I get mine!

hitman
    Free Member

Is this only in England?

MoreCashThanDash

My blood pressure always comes out high, so I scored well on most things but ended up with a bad heart attack risk! Luckily she checked my records from where they had me measure my blood pressure at home for a week to make sure I wasn’t going to keel over.

(Mind you, having your blood pressure taken by a yummy mummy in a nurses outfit was never going to show me at my best… 8) )

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wondered about this after turning 40. It used to be standard at 40, but I’m not sure if it is now as I think it didn’t give any health improvement to the population as a whole as normally only healthy people attended..

Markie
    Free Member

I turned 40 in June and have just been invited, my route into the ranks of the worried well!

alibongo001

This is a national (England) initiative

However not all CCGs are doing so well at it.

Worth taking up if you get it offered or maybe asking if you dont

Min age is 40

Hope this helps!

pegglet
    Free Member

i,m 55 and had the telly camera up the back door for a look about..it was all bright pink and clear.looked good in HD. the alarm kept going off on the heart/pulse thingy tho as my heart rate ticked along at 41bpm av…felt smug but old…

neilthewheel

There was an item on the radio a few weeks ago about a report saying these checks are a waste of time and money because the only people who turn up for them are the ones who are fit and healthy.
    Mind, I’m only bitter because my cholestrol came in at 8 and I’m now off butter, cheese, nuts (!) and red meat. The nurse also told me to get more exercise. I told her I was cycling about 100 miles a week and she said “a good job too!” 🙄

theotherjonv

I had my prostate check a few weeks back. The doctor told me to try to relax (as if!) and then said ‘try not to be embarrassed, it’s quite common to get an erection during this procedure’

‘I havent though’

‘Not you, me’

john_drummer
    Free Member

48 and never been invited

having said that, I have been on (and am now off) the diabetic register (type II), so for the 2-3 years while I was registered diabetic, the GP was looking at my bloods twice a year.

no mention of bowel cancer, prostate problems or even cholesterol though

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Just been for my NHS old gits health check’ is closed to new replies.