Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Just because you can, doesn't mean you should….
  • Olly
    Free Member

after an afternoon of fiddling and wresteling trying to get 5speed power links to fit a 1/8" chain 😳 I give you, the 456 SS twingle speed 😀

as it weighs more than the sun, its 32:18 in one setup
    and as it occasionally dabbles at DHery, with walking on the ups and pedalling down the downs, the other is 36:15

if it works ok (which i don't doubt it wont), i may splurge on a proper 36t ring, but the ramped steel one was only 7 quid….

for those of you bodgers out there with sharp eyes, you can retro fit a Roller, onto a on-one-singulator, with a packet of M5 nuts and bolts from focus, and three inners from old jockey wheels

the 50mm bolt fits perfectly length and width wise, and a stack of M5 nuts equates perfectly to the little Hex rod that comes on the singulator.

Why, i hear some of you wonder….

Because i can 😀 (and too much coffee)

thepodge
    Free Member

Twingles are ace.

ivantate
    Free Member

I like it.

timber

let me know if it makes it to the end of the road without failure

Filthy
    Free Member

That's nothing my bike has 18 gears ;-p

MrSparkle

Nice work Olly.

brakes
    Free Member

what a heap of crap
    I've thrown better looking bikes in the canal 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you fit mechs and shifters, you wouldn't have to stop to change the gear ration

hoojum
    Free Member

Interesting twingle speed Olly, I like it. How's the chain line when you swap over?

locomotive

Why not just fit a 3 speed sturmy archer hub, then adjust it badly 🙂

marks for effort though!

Olly
    Free Member

chain line is spot on hoojum

from inside of freehub, its 1 large spacer, 18t cog, small spacer, 15t cog and then a single spacer from an old HTII bottom bracket

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice 🙂

I was looking into doing something like this and changing the gearing to suit the type of ride I'm doing. I love the idea of singlespeed but I ride quite a variety and one ratio would always be a compromise depending on the trail/type of riding I'm doing on the day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Just because you can, doesn't mean you should….’ is closed to new replies.