Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Just a little 29er suspension?
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

Suppose you love your 29er hardtail but you find that just sometimes the rear end feels out of control on fast bumpy downhills. You find yourself braking, when you know you wouldn’t if you were on your 100mm 26inch susser. You feel like you could used just a little suspension to get that kicking rear end back under control but you don’t what a heavy long travel 29er. Has anyone else been there, done that?
    What would you look at? The Salsa Spearfish, Cannondale Scalpel spring to mind – what do you think?

z1ppy

Still looking myself, though I want something fun rather than an bum in the air, race bike.
    Anthem, seems the obvious addition to your list.

scotroutes

Spearfish would appear to be ideal. It’s a shame there’s not a modern DOS Niner

steve_b77
    Free Member

+1 for the anthem.

Epic is also worth a look with its brain thingy

daftvader
    Free Member

scott spark… tested one last week and it was possibly one of the best bikes i’ve ever ridden. rode the cannondale scalpel just after and it felt all squshy and slow. l love the lefty but i think that the twinloc system made the scott that much more solid at the rear and pleasant to ride. i havnt ridden any other 29er fs atm but the new trek ex 29ers have just come into my lbs and look sweet, but very very expensive. the trek superfly is also on the list to demo

vondally
    Free Member

rocky mountain element………..very impressed rode this morning first proper ride, very very fast down and up but excellent in the twisty stuff which i put down to 780mm bars and 2.1 rear tyre………….. 😉

Clink

I’m selling a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 which fits the bill.

Info here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-santa-cruz-superlight-29-frame-2

STATO
    Free Member

I have a spearfish, its great for what you describe. Sometimes tho i question if limiting the rear is really worthwhile, the weight is the same and efficiency is no different with a PP shock. For speed and control id argue travel at front is the limiting factor (when talking about 100mm or less), rear travel is just there to add a bit of comfort.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Another shout here for the Rocky Mountain Element! I love mine, just enough travel without being heavy or cumbersome at all.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve spent quite a few hours on an Anthem and was amazed by how capable it was. Genuinely eye-opening – but then it was the first FS 29er i’d ridden.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Double post…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Triple post…

PGreen
    Free Member

I have a Spark 29,(had it for over a year) and love it, probably could have done with abit more travel in Scotland, but its quick on everything and I would think it’d perfect for what you describe.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

I go faster on my 29er hardtail with 80mm at the front than I did on my 120mm dual 26er. That being said I’m hoping a dropper post will help out on the downs when they get bumpy.

weeksy

If you’re near Berks you’re more than welcome too try a spearfish in a large

coopersport1
    Free Member

Titus Rockstar, as good as a Tallboy in my opinion and better than an Anthem again in my opinion and doesn’t break the bank and yes I’ve ridden them all

TimCotic
    Free Member

Well yes captainsideburns, my El-Mariachi Ti with 100mm F29 – covers the ground faster than my Flux, but on the other hand, I have crashed recently on descents in the IOW and South Downs. Thanks very much for your ideas everyone – I’m taking it all on board.

khani
    Free Member

I’ll second the Rockstar, 100mm rear, 120mm front and its a flyer…

And at nearly a quarter the price of a carbon Santa Cruz frame its cheeeeep!!! 😀
    That build with all new parts (apart from the brakes and saddle which I already had) came in at £2100

rootes1

scott spark… tested one last week

That at QECP demo day?

I had a go on an XL version – was quite impressed by it

daftvader
    Free Member

Rootes1… yup. First time on a mtb for almost a year… it was great. Was also going to have a go on the genius but didnt as it went straight back out. Reckon its going to be one of these when I have the cash…

tony24
    Free Member

I just got a whyte m109s and it’s bloody good fun can just fly down stuff slack head angle so steep stuff feels fine but I pedals great. I cannot recommend it enough.

daftvader
    Free Member

Tony24… that was another bike on my list but I object to paying £40 to demo them (and any other bike) at my local whyte dealer… how are the carbon wheels holding up to abuse?

tony24
    Free Member

I’ve only done 1 ride on it but they are crazy stiff wheels I did a couple of jumps etc nothing to mad it’s coming to Wales with me so that will be the test. The short chain stays are great too

daftvader
    Free Member

I’d be interested in what it rides like in Wales. .. out of interest what’s it weigh? Its not that I’m a weight weenie just 3k for an alloy frame wonder how it compares to equivalent carbon frames eg the spark… cheers

tony24
    Free Member

It’s 27 pound according to whyte… its not an xc bike though if you want a light xc bike it’s not the best choice if you want a trail bike that’s a good weight and tough then it’s perfect. It’s light where it needs to be which is the wheels it’s got a 142 wide rear maxle, maxle front fork it’s pretty solid. Only problem you may have is getting hold of 1 but I would recommend you try 1 if you can.

Jason
    Free Member

I am a bit of a hardtail fan, but have to admit that I really like the ride of my 29er Epic. I also have a Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er carbon hard tail which is a bit lighter than the Epic, but the Epic is far more versatile. I have ridden most of the south Wales trail centres on the Epic and have been surprised at how capable the bike is, it also climbs very well. 29er wheels and a small amount of rear wheel travel seems to work well.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers tony, am waiting for some money to come in which has been delayed a further two months minimum so will likely be looking at the 2014 models anyway.

rootes1
    TimCotic
    Free Member

Hard to believe there are £2500 bikes specced with a Recon. The poor old Pound must have sunk low indeed. 🙁

tang
    Free Member

How about canyon? Decent spec for 1600 ish(fox, xt)? I’d like a epic, they ride very nice.

charliemort

pivot 429 100mm rear? (quite pricey)

Devinci Atlas 110 mm rear – Freeborn have some alloy ones on offer (and an ex demo last time I looked)

Chainline
    Free Member

My 150mm travel Nicolai 29er weighs 28lb, they don’t have to be heavy, choose parts carefully 🙂

Lots of good suggestions on here. Titus gets a thumbs up from me.

STATO
    Free Member

My 150mm travel Nicolai 29er weighs 28lb

Id struggle to pay for a nicolai frame without shock for the cost of my whole bike.

Clink

Pics of my Superlight 29 now up 😉

timbur
    Free Member

Tim – are you looking for yourself or to plug a hole in the market?

wobbem
    Free Member

To the OP
    [/quote]Suppose you love your 29er hardtail but you find that just sometimes the rear end feels out of control on fast bumpy downhills. You find yourself braking, when you know you wouldn’t if you were on your 100mm 26inch susser.

Feel like that on my Yelli sometimes, then I rewatch this and all is good again 🙂
    video

Wookster

Wobbem that is a brill video!!! 😀

TimCotic
    Free Member

Tim – are you looking for yourself or to plug a hole in the market?

Yup – just wanting an even more perfect bike (as usual LOL). 😀

scottyroyal
    Free Member

anyone got/tried one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-edict-nine-3-29er-2013/

Yes,

Loved it, ridden hardtail 29ers for a few years and although I love them but my back does suffer on longer/rougher rides.
    Edict was a flying machine, took it on my regular singletrack and it was as quick up and slightly quicker going down with a bit more control down. On a 2hr loop it was marginally quicker, I think the main thing though is that I felt fresher. A frameset is now on the wish list….

Marmoset
    Free Member

One more shout for the RM Element, had mine for a few weeks, done a couple of rides and slowly getting dialled into it. It’s great in the twisty stuff and the suspension just feels very unintrusive, no pedal feedback and plenty of speed. Just gotta get a bit more of an aggressive tyre on the front for the local pea gravel around here. Reasonably light too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Just a little 29er suspension?’ is closed to new replies.