Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Jura Mountains (France/Switzerland)
  • madxela
    Free Member

Anyone done the Traversee du Jura, French or Swiss versions?
    thinking there must be a circular route joining parts of both doable from geneva. but interweb seems only to talk about one or other (and mostly in french)
    Where to start route planning…

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Tried to do that myself this year but never got round to it ended up sticking to riding road Cols instead but I did find a GXP file for it and put it on my garmin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

and mostly in french

Google translate?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Send me the links or post here, will send you a summary. You can look at the Swiss Mobility site too.

Jura is excellent for xc-plus type riding. I have done mostly “enduro” uplift train up from lake (Nyon) to St Cergue and also up to Roche de Naye from Montreux (view from there is my screenbackground). The ski resort of Metabief has some trails and chairlift runs for bikes from May.

You won’t het this view from Trans Jura as by Montreux you are away from the lake

madxela
    Free Member

Looking at a xc multi day loop with a group september next year.
    Loose plan is to fly into Geneva and go between B&B/Hostel’s in some kind of loop. say 4 full days riding.

An alternative (may not appeal to all my brethren) would be to do road/cx bikes for cols etc riding out from a fixed point.

What maps would you recommend?

numbnut
    Free Member

Some useful info here. http://bikeland.myswitzerland.com/en/routes/route-03.html

I might have some guidebooks I can dig out if needed?

onandon
    Free Member

Bookmark.

I’m moving back to Geneva in April and this is very much of my list of things to do.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Jura Mountains: France & Switzerland

If you navigate the site you’ll find some incredible off road climbs over 3000m

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I did the Traversee du Jura maaaaaany years ago, we had an agency taking our bags from hotel to hotel so we didn’t have to carry anything. It was a linear trip, if you need them I might be able to get the gpx.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@max I would suggest you consider a 4 day ride out and take a train back from somewhere – that wouod be more interesting imo You could even leave bike bags at the airport and get a train straight back there. Maps, ime the official Swiss ones aren’t a patch on our OS or indeed French IGN – they are quite hard to follow. The MySwitzerland website is good and is the app I recommended. Also ime the Swiss are pretty good at sign posting on the trails/paths. Re the French side the site I used to use for IGN maps (geoportal.gouv,fr) seems to have taken the detailed IGN off the site. For routes you might have a search on utawagavtt.com

@on_and_on I’m jealous, good for you. Lots good day ride options with and without a car (train). There is a stunning view over the lake and to Mont Blanc from St Cergue ride.

nordofjura
    Free Member

for the swiss route look here: http://www.mountainbikeland.ch/en/routes/route-03.html
    the site is available in english and you can download the route or print the maps. the trail is generally rocky and be prepared for some hike-a-bike. but it’s definitely worth it.

nickscots1
    Free Member

VTOPO guides have IGN 1:25k maps per route. Descriptions and GPX downloads. I have them for three other areas and all routes we have done are excellent and varied.

Jura

http://www.vtopo.fr/vtt-jura.html

timb34
    Free Member

That swiss site is very good – I’ll be having a good dig around on there. The French equivalent is probably this http://sitesvtt.ffc.fr/itinerance/jura/

madxela
    Free Member

Thanks folks, starting to home in on a swiss side trip, train out, ride back.

Next level of planning fun 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Jura Mountains (France/Switzerland)’ is closed to new replies.