Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Juicy 5s – grabby?
  • mountainposture

Bit of a newbie question, I’d appreciate some constructive comment on.

Just taken t’wife’s bike for a test ride after doing a bit of maintenance on it and noticed the brakes (Juicy 5s) seem to me to be a bit more grabby than mine – I have Shimano XTs. Not having a great deal of experience of disc brakes to compare with, is this normal for Avids?

Cheers

krag
    Free Member

Yep, all the Avid’s (5 & elixirs) I’ve used have been grabby as hell. Skyline cycles warned me about them before demo’ing one of their bikes too.

renners
    Free Member

I have Juicy 5s on my 4X bike and Elixir’s on my XC bike. I love the on/off feel of them and wouldn’t swap for anything.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Used to find my Juicy 5s okay when they worked and not at all grabby. However most of the time they squealed and pad replacement was a joke. Now got Elixir CRs which are much better.

Lifer
    Free Member

Had 5’s in the past and found they had good modulation, Elixirs are nicer though 😀

mountainposture

Cheers, guys. And yeah, they squeal! And I hate wrestling with the pads. But they are the brakes that came on the bike and I guess I’ll replace them at some point with something better (and probably with easier pad access) but not just yet 😕

abductee
    Free Member

I found mine grabby and honked like a goose with sintered pads but good modulation, quiet and shorter pad life with organic / semi metalic / kevlar pads.

Could also be due to contamination

mountainposture

Hmmm, they’ve had a clean today and have gone back to being squeaky – haven’t had chance to test ride since the cleaning. I’m also just getting some new pads for it and trying kevlar so we’ll see.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Juicy 5s – grabby?’ is closed to new replies.