Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Juicy 5 re build or new brakes
  • yowser
    Free Member

Ive got 2 sets of avids (elixirs and juicy 5) both of which are needing some tlc.
    The levers are floppy on the elixirs and the pistons are nackered on the juicy 5s front and back… Is it worth the repair or should I just bin the 5s put the elixrs on the commute bike and bite the bullet and get some formulas for the Hardtail?
    It’s a big dilemma when moneys are tight!
    Anyone done thd 5 rebuild and dealt with the floppy lever syndrome before?
    Cheers

scraprider
    Free Member

i could only find a leaver kit on das flea bay at about a tenner,a bleed kit about the same, couldnt see a caliper kit tho.never done one by the way my mates got formula brakes they are good.

pdw
    Free Member

Not sure about the floppy lever problem, but you can get replacement seals and pistons for about a tenner – search for “pressure foot kit”.

I’ve currently got my juicys in bits trying to sort out a sticking piston. They came apart easily enough, bit early to tell if it’s been a success.

Hydraulic brakes aren’t exactly complicated, but they are expensive, so I tend to think that repair has to be worth a shot.

skywalker
    Free Member

Avid brakes are CRAP! Buy some new ones and save yourself the hassle.

pdw
    Free Member

Avid brakes are CRAP! Buy some new ones and save yourself the hassle.

Constructive.

I’ve heard this touted as “fact” repeatedly, but I’ve never seen a decent explanation of what exactly it is about their design that makes them “CRAP”.

I’ve got Avids on two of my bikes, and on my OH’s bike, and have had no serious problems. After a couple of years of reasonably heavy use in crap conditions, and general neglect, I have a sticking piston. Is there something about the design of other brakes that makes them immune to this problem?

_tom_
    Free Member

They’re easy and cheap to rebuild so worth a go. I’ve only done the pistons on mine, i just put up with the floppy lever! People moan about juicy 5s (i used to) but mine have been really reliable since rebuilding. i used the front one for a summer of whistler riding with no brake fade at all, so they should be more than fine for normal UK riding!

phil56

the floppy lever is often caused by a ‘dry’ seal in the master cylinder – the piston doesn’t return fully leaving the lever with some slack. It’s relatively simple job to fix, though you will need some long nose internal circlip pliers to remove the retaining circlip.

yowser
    Free Member

Cheers guys,
    Yeah I think for 20 notes it’s worth a shot as there only going on my road bike.
    Floppy levers will be fine as I don’t have the long noes pliers and tbh they’ve never really bothered me before.
    Personal experience I wouldn’t say the avids are crap but there defo not as hassle free as some of the other brakes I’ve used.

kentos1978
    Free Member

I got rid of mine. Got fed up of freeing sticky pistons in the rear. Put a new piston and seal kit in and it lasted about 6 months before going the same way.

Went for formulas on recommendation from LBS and had no problem since.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Juicy 5 re build or new brakes’ is closed to new replies.