Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Judy 100TT or RST 281 EL?!
  • snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Yes, I know you’ll all say “neither”, but please hear me out.

Am upgrading frame on my bike from a 2003 Hardrock with standard Judy TTs to a much better frame and forks.

So, for the other half’s 2001 Scott Purgatory (smaller frame so can’t give her the Hardrock), should I keep it with its stock RST 281EL, or replace that with the Judy 100TT that seems to have better reviews but be quite a lot heavier? Seems they’re both 70-80mm travel but the Judys can be adjusted a bit. No idea about internals or what makes the Judys so much heavier.

It’s going to be for almost all on-road riding and the odd cut across a park.

Please don’t tell me to get her a different type of bike!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

*bump* Ok, they’re not cool forks but please help with your advice?

trail_rat
    Free Member

281 mustbe dead by now . The elastomers in them broke down quick – they are light as they are mostly air !

The judy is the better fork in tht it has a coil and oil iirc

mieszko
    Free Member

I think judy tt was spring only and as name suggests has 100mm travel. Xc had air assist with coil spring and oil can’t remember if it had adjustable rebound. Anyway, i would go for the Judy over Rst. However as with every modification in my OH bike I need to show her the part first and get the “colour is fine” approval 🙂 also if your OH is light standard spring might be too hard. Get her to try the bike with the Judy on and then back to rst to compare.

Kato

I’d stick them both on eBay and buy a nice rigid fork like a P2 for 30 quid or so. Not the answer you’re looking for but it’s what I’d do

snowcatsmiling
    Free Member

Trail Rat, thanks for the info. I agree Judy looks technically better – it’s just that extra weight! 🙂

Mieszko, you made me laugh, thanks. Very astute observations….but they’re both red and black so yes, colour is by far the most important consideration 😉 but there’s nothing in it in this case!

Kato-san, I didn’t even think of that! Someone would actually buy these forks?! Well they’re in great condition. I’ll think about it …if the P2 comes in red and black 😉

Thanks for your replies, guys. Really.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Judy 100TT or RST 281 EL?!’ is closed to new replies.