Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Judge swears back at defendent
  • Pigface
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/11/patricia-lynch-john-hennigan-complaints-made-after-judge-trades-insults-with-defendant-in-court

Fair play to her, I think it will get her in some bother though. On a side note what a charmer Hennigan is.

leffeboy

Quality reply from a judge

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Heard it yesterday and had a bit of a laugh.
    Good on her. 😆

jekkyl

i can’t work out which C word it was… the one for the female or male genitalia? I’m guessing likely the female. If so that’s a bit aggressive of the judge, not really the sort of word used in public whilst representing the courts, the queen etc. but yes good reply!

simmy
    Free Member

Don’t know If it’s my privacy settings, but on that link it’s says the actual words used 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

The Grauniad always print the &%#@ words 😆

dannybgoode

Judge has much respect from me. I like the ‘**** off judge’, ‘you too’ exchange just as much.

Not condoning judges swearing in all circumstances but I think she was spot on for this one…

SiB
    Free Member

Looks like she was just stating the obvious, respect to her.

Now I don’t want to sound stereotypical but I wonder which way he voted, in or out?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Brilliant – he looks like a lovely chap.

D0NK

I think it will get her in some bother though

was on the front of the metro yesterday, pretty sure someone from the oversight org said the judge was not being investigated over it.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I think it’s fun to give it back to the prisoner in a language he understands however. Court is a place where people like the man in the dock can watch how decent human being act towards each other. I’d prefer is she put him down with something that reflected her intelligence and the higher standards a courtroom upholds. Don’t lower yourself.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Apparently its a new craze!

Saw this recently, it’s the word for word transcript from a court in Georgia (‘merica), it’s been read by the cast of Rick & Morty (which just makes it even better).

NSFW BTW 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

As with most things like this it is not what people say – that is largely irrelevant, it is the way they say it. You can use offensive language in a non offensive way and non offensive language in an offensive way, it’s all in the context. I’m sure the judge said it in a very edifying way and not just in a way that came across as a bit of a slanging match.

avdave2

Quality reply from a judge

But it wasn’t a quality reply at all it was utterly witless

Without hesitation as soon as I read it I knew that I would have replied
    “What bit of a **** do you mean Mr Hennigan only you don’t look like the sort of man who would know his way around one”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is that wittier?

jimmy

It was just a quick retort to what he’d said and not out the blue use of the C word. No doubt it came after a lengthy and lab(ia)orious court session.

Cougar

TBH, it’s nice to see that a judge is unflappable.

acsevens

I sat on two trials as a juror with tis judge. she is an absolute legend, made the two weeks slightly less painfully boring!

avdave2

Is that wittier?

I didn’t claim it to be witty, just that her reply was witless. she was called a **** so she called him one back, I don’t suppose that was anything he wouldn’t hear everyday of his life. Far better to come back with something that might actually get the court laughing at him.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Far better to come back with something that might actually get the court laughing at him.

That sounds like a pointless aim.
    I cant judge the judges response as I’m not qualified in judging or witty banter. She no doubt is qualified in one at least and possibly both.

cinnamon_girl

Don’t think she comes out of this very well, it really wasn’t a smart thing to do. But I may be having a sense of humour failure.

avdave2

I cant judge the judges response as I’m not qualified in judging or witty banter. She no doubt is qualified in one at least and possibly both.

Don’t confuse qualified with competent, I’m sure we have all worked with people who have shown us they are very different things and often a long way apart. 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Very judicious use of the English language as far as I can see..
    The language has many words and in the hands of the percipient user, each is valid.

as you were

sbob
    Free Member

avdave2 – Member

But it wasn’t a quality reply at all it was utterly witless

Without hesitation as soon as I read it I knew that I would have replied
    “What bit of a **** do you mean Mr Hennigan only you don’t look like the sort of man who would know his way around one”

I’m having a party.

You’re not invited.

stevied
    Free Member

for making Nazi salutes at a pub in London; he claimed he had only been raising his arm to collect his change after paying for a drink.

From a very tall bar-person? 🙄

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Has nothing on this (based word for word on an actual court transcript)

jimjam
    Free Member

This feels oddly like the judge broke the fourth wall for want of a better expression. The idea that she’s not a real person, or her position means she can’t say what she thinks, or retort in kind is a weird piece of social etiquette . Understandable but weird.

She was verbally attacked and she responded in kind. From the description of the defendant I feel a slight sense of frustration he wasn’t dealing with Judge Dredd as opposed to Judge Lynch.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Must be a slow news day

perchypanther
    Free Member

” Yeah mate! I’m a judgemental **** at that…. and that outburst has just bought you an extra month……. Cooler – 30 Days.”

RobHilton
    Free Member

“Stupid fat ****” would have been more appropriate

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Judge swears back at defendent’ is closed to new replies.