Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Joystock MaXx – still a decent light?
  • druidh
    Free Member

With all the recent advances in both LED and battery technology, has the lovely-crafted Joystick now been completely overtaken, or is it still a usable piece of technology?

RealMan
    Free Member

You know, now that you mention it, I have noticed that mine is getting dimmer and dimmer.. Must be all these new technologies.

It works brilliantly before the new stuff. It still works brilliantly. Dont buy any of the new stuff, and you wont know what youre missing.

sockpuppet

i like mine still

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I know what you’re saying RealMan. Question is – would you buy one now?

hazeii
    Free Member

Very usable still, and no doubt they’ll stick the latest LEDs in as they become available. I’ve gone through a whole XC night using one, also just last weekend witnessed someone use nothing else to ride an offroad century dusk to dawn (followed by a daylight century going the other way, but that’s another story).

RealMan
    Free Member

No of course I wouldnt. Mine still works perfectly 😀

If I had no light however, and was in the market for another.. Yes, I probably would. Theyre light, bright, reliable and have a decent battery life. Only thing is I have an 07 one or something, so I have the rubbish switch. The new ones have better ones.

Very tempted to buy one of the race ones though, as I mtb at night 2-3 times a week now, and it gets a bit tricky sometimes during the winter with just the joystick.

But my god, I’m sure everyones heard this before, but facing the night with just that little joystick, and coming back with a massive grin. Its a feeling that cant be beat.

STATO
    Free Member

Joysticks have always been expensive and low on power compared to the cheap imported torches everyone always harps on about when these threads come up. The reason lots of people still buy and run (or bought and still run) the Joystick is the neatness of the package. Battery life is good, its well sealed, very easy to mount, etc. Obviuosly now there are even more powerfull torches for even cheaper, but they still dont have the quality finish of the Joystick, so basically its down to you to decide if you want to spend the (not inconsiderable) sum or plump for a inferior quality but considerably cheaper (and now brighter) alternatives.

shaggy

The Joystick rocks. As Stato says, other stuff may look better on paper but out nothing really touches the Joystick as a package. The new Diablo is brighter but the run time is reduced (1 15ish on Maxx) and it’ll cost a load more when it does become available. It’s an awesome product though.

Del

hmm. a cree wf606a is about 15 quid. a joystick is what? 10x that?
    brighter? a little, maybe. 10x brighter? no. with the right lid, and a bit of inner tube and an o-ring, i have a helmet light that will run forever ( given enough AA batteries ), is only a little bigger, and a little dimmer ( but spread and all that – arguable ).
    you won’t catch me arguing against a bike-specific light, given convenience, warranty etc. but is the joystick really 10 times better? maybe for some. not me.

Northwind

It’s just a torch, albeit a very nicely made one. The mount is very nice but you can match the effectiveness with a DIY mount (you can also buy the mount seperately and use it to mount a torch) and the burn time is only decent because the light is dull. The 5-setting Dealextreme torches can give better burn life while giving the same effective light. (the 2 setting one can’t though, its let down by the rather weak low power setting)

It’s got nothing to recommend it now for anyone but the lazy, or those worried about asthetics. Once they update it with a current LED package, it’ll be great again but just like so many other bike lights just now it’s outdated.

juan
    Free Member

Hey druidh.
    I have the very first generation of joystick.
    It’s still going strong, and as said it’s a very neat package that works well. As I don’t do night rides anymore, mine is use for commuting purposes at the moment and it work just great.
    USE customer service is very good, and there is apparently an easy bodge to do (changing the emitter).
    If you want i can bing it in august so you can have a look for yourself, just let me know.;;

firestarter
    Free Member

i have the standard joystick on my lid and the early enduro (think thats the name) on the bars still works great 🙂 if buying again id look for a similar design prob another use as i prefer the no wires set up.

z1ppy

Joysticks have always been expensive and low on power compared to the cheap imported torches everyone always harps on about when these threads come up.

Loving this comment, so by recommending a lot cheaper and better torch on thread where overprice kit is being discussed it “harping on”, personnally I see it as more of a PSA.
    As for are Joystick’sstill relevent ? I can only tell you my two m8’s who had them saw the Dealextreme P7 in action, bought one each, then flogged there Joystick on ebay.

STATO
    Free Member

sorry zippy, didnt mean to be derogatory. Your probably right but for me (and a fair few others on here) the Joystick still is worth the cost. Ive got mates with P7’s and tesco torches, and while i admit they easilly out perform the Joystick in cost and brightness they both fall way behind as a package. In fact, both have said they would have perfered to get the Joystick/MaxxD combo had they the money available.

Usually I have the joystick on my lid but i can remove it and fit it to my bars with one hand, while riding along! I can also use it to power a rear light, or fit the optional remote switch (which i bought for my MaxxD). Using it is just so little fuss compared to swapping batteries or faffing with wires.

If I lost them and had to buy again id probably have to get a P7 as id really struggle to afford a Joystick/MaxxD combo at the moment, but Id certainally look to going back once i could.

z1ppy

that fair enuff, but for most ppl with a tighter budget, a P7 or even 2 P7 (one in the bag as a spare if you want) would still fufill there night riding requirements or even 12hr race requirment (batteries are cheap and easily changed in seconds).

I don’t doubt that as a package the Joystick is a great light but find it hard to understand ppl trying to justify a light that’s almost 3 times more expensive.

I believe this is more about a wakeup call for Exposure than anything else, how can they have missed/ignored the P7/MCE LED availability and still not upgraded… I’d love to support them as a UK company, but it’s like buy a rover in the old days, when Ford and all were making kit so much better (except Rovers were ‘never’ well built at any time).

STATO
    Free Member

I don’t doubt that as a package the Joystick is a great light but find it hard to understand ppl trying to justify a light that’s almost 3 times more expensive.

I find it hard to understand why people even need a P7, more than 500 lumens seems pointless to me but there are plenty out there who insist on running nothing less than 1000 all the time! Ive never actually used my MaxxD in high mode (500lumen in medium and 10hr run time is enough thanks very much :0) as you just dont need that sort of power unless you absolutley canning it in big ring down a mountain, you certainly dont need it on tiwsty singletrack as all it does is light up the forest off the side of the track.

anyway zippy, you have a Cannondale gemeni, prob twice the price of most other singlepivot bikes that would ride exactly the same (but its just nicer not owning a marin is it) ;0)

z1ppy

I think you just on a wind up now 😛

still have the marin btw…

trout
    Free Member

There is going to be an alternative to a joystick soon.
    in small numbers .as a kit to build your self or ready built

as posted awhile back 600 lumens and also 1000 lumens

STATO
    Free Member

I saw yours trout, TBH your work is amazing but a patch of velcro permanently stuck on the top of my helmet puts me right off (especially as my helmet has vents down the centre) How are you suppsed to adjust the angle? move it back/forwards on the helmet?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Joystock MaXx – still a decent light?’ is closed to new replies.