• This topic has 127 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Joshua Klitchko
  • chewkw
    Free Member

In boxing, especially heavy weight, once you are over 38 you are on your way out. George Foreman probably exception … 😀

Physically it is rather impossible to fight a young chap in his 20s if the old chap cannot finish the opponent off in early rounds. 😀

blader1611
    Free Member

I didnt see the fight but listened on the radio and it sounded incredible, commentary couldnt keep up with the action.

frankconway

Great win; supreme athlete with power in both hands but…..technique needs work.
    Big wlad was impressive – mobile, tactically astute and big puncher.
    Joshua and McCracken should have learned some big lessons tonight.
    Time for Joshua to take on all-comers….carter, wilder for starters.

mikey3
    Free Member

Good to see a mega hyped fight live up to or even exceed the hype.

nickname
    Free Member

nice speech by joshua 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Let’s see if Joshua will still be fighting at 41 year old. 😛

They should have some senior fights … 😆

ctk
    Free Member

Wilder next? Wlad to retire?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

what a fight.. they weren’t leaving anything on the table. I think Vitali fancies a pop at AJ

Respect to both fighters.. I think Tyson Fury has started a something with the after fight antics.

butcher

Shame anyone had to lose that. Could have gone either way, depending on which round you were watching! If anything, Klitchko can walk away with his head held high (and presumably a big wad of cash…)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just would have liked to have seen the 41 year old win – and retire on a high.

But I do hope I get to see Josh properly batter Fury.

chewkw
    Free Member

ctk – Member
    Wlad to retire?

I think he will retire soon but as a “journey man” I guess he might have 3 years left.

Tyson Fury will be next for big pay day … 😛

TheFlyingOx

I quite like Klitschko – I was rather disappointed actually to seem him lose.

This. Best fight I’ve seen in ages, and genuinely gutted for Klitschko. At least Joshua doesn’t seem to be quite as much of a helmet as the recent crop of British boxing “stars”.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Wlad v Fury / Parker. Still better than most of the other heavyweights based on the performance tonight. I reckon he can add another title to the collection.

Joe

This. Best fight I’ve seen in ages, and genuinely gutted for Klitschko. At least Joshua doesn’t seem to be quite as much of a helmet as the recent crop of British boxing “stars”.[/quote]

I’m with you guys. Massive AJ fan and followed him from the start, but my heart sank when he went down hard in the 11th. Klitchko is a true gentleman, sportsman and great; I’ve no idea where AJ found the next gear.

brakes
    Free Member

must say the Sky commentary is pretty poor, I was shouting as much at them as I was the fighters. they seemed to want to anticipate the end of the fight rather than give any technical commentary. bit like fan commentary.

frankconway

Judges cards after 10 rounds – 96/93 & 95/93 joshua, 95/93 klitschko.
    I’m no expert but….seriously?
    Klitschko was clearly 3 rounds ahead.
    Doesn’t matter.
    Hope that Wlad says – been there and done it all; i’m retiring. He has nothing to prove but everything to lose by continuing.
    A true sporting contest with none of the shit these events usually bring.
    To echo others – joshua to cane fury and shut him up.

chewkw
    Free Member

There are not many good heavy weight boxers around at the moment so Joshua will be the top dog for a while. 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Having given Sky hundreds of pounds over the years watching hyped up ‘mega fights’ which are usually a toal let down, I almost gave this one a miss. Klit was dire last time round.

But..

That was absolutely epic..Klit looked like he was willing to take one to land one, both showed massive heart..in the balance right until the end.

Got so much respect for the old champ, showed huge heart, and finished on his feet ( although I’d have stopped it after the final knock down, he was clearly done)

I know joshua is nothing like tyson, but I still think the Klit of tonight would destroy fury in a rematch. Thikj he should retire now though, he has nothing to prove.

deepreddave
    Free Member

It was all over in the 5th. Then again in the 6th – AJ was out on his feet in both and genuinely thought he was done. Amazed it went to the 11th and a way better boxing match then I ever expected. I suspect AJ may fight Vlad again then Fury before Wilder, although a trip to the US might be appealing.

aracer
    Free Member

As boxing states, you leave your ego at the door and you respect your opponent. So a massive shout-out to Wladimir Klitschko.

classy

The best man won tonight and it’s a massive event for boxing.

“Two gentleman fought each other. Anthony was better today. It’s really sad I didn’t make it tonight. I was planning to do it, it didn’t work. But all the respect to Anthony, congratulations

also classy

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I think…….A fit, physical and importantly mental, Fury would beat Joshua at present

Caher

Incredible fight, like one of the Hagler/Hear stuff in the 80s. Watched in an O’Neals (yuk). Like others have said Klitschko never followed up his advantage, and AJ was far more resilient than I thought.

chewkw
    Free Member

genesiscore502011 – Member
    … Fury would beat Joshua at present

Fury is no push over … 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

A very entertaining fight. Wlad looked like the Wlad of old – the good bits … and the fragile under pressure bad bits.
    Big credit to Joshua for turning it around late on. He is good – but definitely not great.
    He will always be in exciting fights because like most British heavyweights, his chin isn’t that good.

The heavyweight scene is dire at moment; not sure what big fights are out there besides Fury.

rmacattack
    Free Member

in retrospect then is joshua a bad fighter? fury made Klitchko look easy.

brakes
    Free Member

Klit looked like he was willing to take one to land one

I’m not sure. Couldn’t work out if it was this or if he was just playing for time / points. WK should have finished AJ in the 6th when he was reeling and he was wide open. I thought AJ was done and was cringing just waiting for the killer blow. Amazed that he recovered and reckon his corner played a blinder in telling him when to stand back and when to fight and AJ did so well to take that instruction.
    AJ did his best boxing in the first 20s and last 20s of rounds. not sure if that’s a known tactic…

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Joshua is a great fighter but only 18/19 fights great!

tpbiker
    Free Member

In boxing, especially heavy weight, once you are over 38 you are on your way out. George Foreman probably exception …

I’d argue that the heavyweights are the ones most likely to still be competative at that age

Power last thing to go, the heavies dont rely on speed and reactions like they do at the lower weights..

There are obviously exceptions (hopkins being the main one)

chewkw
    Free Member

rmacattack – Member

I think Fury will win as he is bigger and taller. 😛

genesiscore502011 – Member
    Joshua is a great fighter but only 18/19 fights great!

Tyson still hold the record of 100% KO at 18/19 fights …

pondo

Great battle, enjoyed that – what a refreshing lack of trash-talk bollocks, class post-fight interviews. I know pointing out that Chewk talks balls isn’t needed but… chewk talks balls.

theotherjonv

was interested but not £20 interested – spent too much on past disappointment PPV events to be drawn in, especially as I expected Wlad to outbox him and win on points.

But started following the commentary on here and on the R5L text, then had the sound version under the covers and now wish I’d spent the money!

Anyone know when Sky will start showing it on freeview? Usually a couple of days isn’t it?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I think Kiltchko also made fury look good by not letting his hands go. The Klitchko tonight wouldve given Fury a hard time. Also keep in mind Fury didnt knock down klitchko and also went the distance.

So it makes Joshua better than Fury 🙂

IANAB

xcracer1
    Free Member

Good fight and im sure both deservedly did some good £££££.

Also fair play to joshua for taking klitschco on after 19 fights.

Still think there is work on his stamina and defence to be done. Maybe loosing some muscle and coming in lighter would help.

On the other hand there isnt a great pool of heavyweight fighters at the moment so he may get away with it.

Reading something that joshua has already now made around £30 million!!!!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Joshua v Fury has already got me licking my lips. Both solid, strong lads, the orthodox style of Joshua against the awkward Fury should be a great spectacle, it will decend into a real the tear up. Should Fury be able to get back in shape It’ll be too hard to call the winner in my opinion.

seosamh77
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    Anyone know when Sky will start showing it on freeview? Usually a couple of days isn’t it?

It’s on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Q05yFYI18

theotherjonv

Cheers. Brutal punching in R11 (why was it being called the ‘Championship round’ btw)

What do you reckon AJ was doing staring at him as the ref stopped it? Red mist, or concern or what?

chewkw
    Free Member

pondo – Member
    Great battle, enjoyed that – what a refreshing lack of trash-talk bollocks, class post-fight interviews. I know pointing out that Chewk talks balls isn’t needed but… chewk talks balls.

Crikey do you have to be boxing expert in talking about boxing? You are a boxer or a boxing trainer? Did you predict anything at the start of this thread? I did and I got almost all of them right except it was round 11 instead of round 8 stoppage. 😯

What exactly have you contributed except agreeing about Bruno?

I bet Fury will win so what you say? Remember Fury did beat Klitchko fairly.

Fury to win by points. 😛

chewkw
    Free Member

tpbiker – Member There are obviously exceptions (hopkins being the main one)

Once he reached 40 yr old that’s where most of his losses started 6 out of 8 losses from age 40 and above. His winning record after 40 yr old was almost 50/50.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What do you reckon AJ was doing staring at him as the ref stopped it? Red mist, or concern or what?

a look in the eyes because he was the better man so a mixture of red mist, pride and joy.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Joshua Klitchko’ is closed to new replies.