Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Joplin 4
  • forge197
    Free Member

Just fitted a shiny new Joplin 4 to my Chumba, never really been convinced I needed one but even around the garden I can see it's going to useful.

The joystick is easy to use and the action of the post smooth a very tiny amount of lateral movement, have protected the whole thing with a fork boot to promote a bit of longevity.

Will see how I like on a post work ride tomorrow.

Anyone else got one?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I have the original one and am thinking of replacing it with one that has more up down movement and less side to side movement 😉

Would be interested to hear how you get on especially with the lateral play that the original one really suffers from.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I've got one. Works fine so far. Very little side to side play compared to my old Joplin 3.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    forge197
    Free Member

I think the long term is the real test a few weeks riding won't test it, has a two year warranty so based on that 18 months time would be a good time to see how it's faired.

Having read up on adjustable seat posts lateral play seems to affect most so it will be interesting how the Joplin 4 is after some use but out the box there is very little let's hope it stays that way.

I've just bought a KS i950 that (at present) has no play and 5" of adjustment – seems reasonably light too. I just wish they'd pull their finger out and start selling the add-on remote that has been advertised for the end of March.

Only used for a weekend at Fort Bill so far, but as a habitual saddle dropper it transformed my ride.

Terry-Tibbs
    Free Member

The rockshox one out end of the year looks wicked, but is it worth the wait, hmmmm… thoughts? if the crank bros one has 2 year warrantee though, thats pretty good.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Sram (Rockshox) stuff has a two year warranty too, so it will be a close call once that becomes available!

forge197
    Free Member

If I hadn't of "needed" one this year then I would have had a good look at the the Rockshox one as it looks good too.

I was pleasntly surprised by the 2 year warranty, hope not to need it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Crank Bros does have two year warranty. Mine has been back to the distributor under that warranty to have the lateral play addressed. It got so bad it was unrideable; they made it better but it's still far from perfect although to be fair, that play does not impede it's performance in terms of going up and down.

forge197
    Free Member

geetee1972 – the lateral movement is supposed to be addressed/improved on the 4 but we will see after it's been in use for a bit. I can imagine the lateral movement could be annoying and I'll be checking for that it's tight out the box.

Got a days work before I can try it though….. 🙁

SOAP
    Free Member

I would recomend the Pure Racing ks i900 no play,£180 5 inch travel and a 2 year warrenty,
    can't go wrong really

geetee1972
    Free Member

Chippy do you have the remote version? If so, how easy is it to drop say two thirds rather than the full amount?

SOAP
    Free Member

Geetee<Basically when you let go of the remote the seat stops! So you can have the post anywhere you want.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have you actually used one Chippy? Used the warranty?

SOAP
    Free Member

Cynic I had a speedball/Joplin for 4 months, it was ok but pissed at stripping it down every 2-3 rides.
    Now had the i900r for 6 rides with no major problems, no play and no stripping/ service.

mr_mills
    Free Member

forge197 – Member

geetee1972 – the lateral movement is supposed to be addressed/improved on the 4 but we will see after it's been in use for a bit. I can imagine the lateral movement could be annoying and I'll be checking for that it's tight out the box.

You'll find there will still be a bit of play straight out of the box, but not as much as with a Joplin 3. I've been using mine for a couple of months now and this slight play hasn't got any worse. I'm surprised they still can't make one with no side to side play at all though – I had two i900s which had no play whatsoever (unfortunately that was their only good point as they were terrible in all other respects).

forge197
    Free Member

Did my first ride today pretty impressed never thought I needed one but can see the benefit now. There were a couple of bits I did a little faster with the seat down a couple of inches, one technical bit that I did by dropping the saddle gave more confidence and weight in the right place to as they say "nail it".

The joystick remote is brilliant, I've put it on the left handside and don't need to take my hands of the bar to use it, and the action is very smooth the fact it can be stopped at any point in the travel is ace.

Look forward to using it a bit more, tomorrow morning in fact 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Joplin 4’ is closed to new replies.