Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Jones riders question for you, well two :)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a Jones steel spaceframe with a 2.3 29er on a 45mm rear rim and a fat front 3.7 nate on a large marge 65mm 26 rim.

It came like this so I’ve not tried any other front I just wondered what it was like with a 29er / 29er plus up front instead. But obviously as it’s a 135mm front hub it’s not something I can easily / cheaply try out.

Also any of you lot thinking of moving on to a plus lwb or swb thinking of moving on a older diamond or spaceframe with truss 😉

Ta

jameso

I’ve always had 29 2.2-2.4 front on mine. 30mm rim. I’ve been told the fat front is better for anything techy and rocky but tbh I’ve never found the 29 x 2.4 front that limiting, certainly not locally. In the Alps or other techier places it’s been OK, better than I expected but still a rigid bike overall.

If you’re in the Chilterns area anytime we could swap wheels for a couple of hours.

singlespeedstu

Not had mine for quite a while now but I always prefered it with the 29+ front wheel in than the fat front wheel.
    Was also running a 50mm rear rim with a 2.4 29er tyre.

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m miles away I’m afraid

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers stu

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve got a Diamond with Truss sporting a Cronicle on wide rim and a 650b rear end, it’s a blast in the singletrack. Had it as a 29er with 2.4 Ardents and that worked well too. Oh, and a fat front/29er rear which was a proper giggle in the singletrack.
    My sons got a Diamond with Truss built with 650b all round but he’s not ridden it in anger yet. The front ends lower which looks good for his needs.
    Biffs got a Spaceframe SWB built for demo now with 650b all round. Think they were 3.25 tyres :0)
    Also have a spare set of 29er wheels in the shed to sell at some point. Duallys on Xt rear and Jones 135mm front.

nedrapier

I recently picked up a second hand steel spaceframe which came with crests, 2.35 Nobby nic rear, 2.35 Magic Mary front, and a spare front 29er Hugo with a Knard.

The rear had a bit of a wobble in it and I was keen to try bigger, so I put an Arc 27 (internal) on the back with the same nobby nic and the knard on the front.

I prefer it like that, but the Knard is outside it’s ideal conditions window. OK most of the time, but sketchy on steep, muddy switchbacks, as any fule kno. Occasionally I google Dirt Wizards then baulk at the price.

I’d put the MaMary back on the front, but that would have to be on the crest. It would be weird to have a wider rear rim than front, so it’s staying as it is for the minute.

I picked up some cheap 650 Arc 45s, but they’re 28h. Got a rear 28h hub, but there’s no-one that does a 28h 135mm front hub. Good to know that 29+ front, 650b rear is a decent option.

If the Chilterns are too far for you, I’m guessing Surrey/Sussex border is as well? The offer’s there though, as per Jameso.

john_l
    Free Member

Tried all sorts of combos on mine – fat front, 29+, 29/29, 650B+ rear etc

Keep coming back to 2.4s on 30mm 29er rims, but do like the Panracer Fat B Nimble up front when it’s dry – measures up more like 2.8 than 3″.

Tim – might come and kick your wheels…

nedrapier

While we’re all here, can I ask about bunny hopping?

I enjoy sproinging all over the shop usually, and while some bikes are better than others (hello, the 26ers!), nothing feels as awkward as the Jones, so I’m riding much more wheels on the ground, with hops reserved for obstacles, rather than seeking out everything little hit I can find.

I think some of this might be down to a short stem, I think it’s 50 or 60mm, and the front is short with the H Bars (I know it’s supposed to be) so steep climbing out of the saddle also feels awkward, like I’m leaning over the bars and pulling them into my hips.

I’ve got a longer stem to try anyway, but it’d be interesting to hear anyone else’s experiences.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

I’ve tried fat front and 2.6 Nobby Nic on a 45mm rim on mine, the fat front is good for rocks and roots but feels a bit slower. 29er front isn’t as soft and suspension-like but nicer for doing more miles or riding on the road.

Planet x had some 135mm FDS hubs for a tenner a couple of months ago, could be worth a look? If not then I think the Hope Fatsno is the next cheapest – about £65.

Ned- My Jones feels pretty hoppy, I’m running an 80mm stem

timbur
    Free Member

john – they’re Biffs but in my shed :O) He might kick you if you kick them.
    Ned – try the longer stem. I run 100mm on my Jones’s as it works for ME. Don’t feel bound by how other people build them or recommend them to be built. We are all different and the bike builds into many different styles.

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, Biffs got a 135mm Hope Fatsno on eBay at the mo. NO use as it was built and then removed for a new 150mm hub. Just saying.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers Tim I’ll take a look. It would be easier to just buy a spare used Jones, just saying 😉

timbur
    Free Member

You just want another one, be honest!
    Two used on eBay at the mo.

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen them. Ones too big and not keen on the other build

firestarter
    Free Member

BTW Tim what sort of price would you be after for the spare pair you have to sell at some point

timbur
    Free Member

They’d be around the £250 posted mark but John_L has first refusal. Email me if you’d like a pic or two while he faffs.
    Collection from Lewes, East Sussex saves postage and might even gain you a cuppa.

gil_

Mick, do you still cross paths with Graham, I’ll just give him a spare 29+ front and you can try it, personal think you might prefer, always found the big front tyre a bit slow and heavy, bit overkill really…

zinaru
    Free Member

I run a nate on an 85mm rim fat front or a ranger/dirt wizard on a 45 arc 29+ set up on my jones.
    Fat front great for fun half days and when it’s properly hideous.
    +29 for longer days, bike packing and when I’m wanting speed.
    Both are great, I love being about to swap depending on mood/conditions etc.

jameso

While we’re all here, can I ask about bunny hopping?

I enjoy sproinging all over the shop usually, and while some bikes are better than others (hello, the 26ers!), nothing feels as awkward as the Jones, so I’m riding much more wheels on the ground, with hops reserved for obstacles, rather than seeking out everything little hit I can find.

I think some of this might be down to a short stem, I think it’s 50 or 60mm, and the front is short with the H Bars (I know it’s supposed to be) so steep climbing out of the saddle also feels awkward, like I’m leaning over the bars and pulling them into my hips.

I’ve got a longer stem to try anyway, but it’d be interesting to hear anyone else’s experiences.
    The Jones hops / jumps so easily that I have to re-adjust to a normal MTB. The short/high front makes it easy imo but a bunny hop is all about timing so it’s prob just a case of getting used to it.
    Climbing feels good when you get used to it, keep a straighter back stood-up position. I’d say I climb steep stuff SS stronger on the Jones than other SS bikes I’ve ridden, inc road bikes. Bar shape and position mainly.

nedrapier

cheers james. I’ll have a play. I get the standing straight up climbing position, I moved things about on the my 26in SS a couple of years ago to put give me that – High rise stem and 25° On One OGs. When I’m doing that on the Jones, I have to pull back towards my hips as well as straight up in opposition to the pedals in order to keep my weight enough over the front to stop it lifting.

There’s also the fact that the EBB is all the way forwards. Looks like previous owner pushed it all the way forward to give him room to push the cranks further to the left for a better chainline for the lowest gears. That’s my best guess anyway! I’ll try the EBB first, then the stem. Scientific method and everything.

Great to know awkward hopping is not a feature of the bike. Looking forward to tonight’s ride even more, now.

Sorry for the hijack, firestarter, but thanks for the opportunity! 🙂

Andy

On my Jones plus, it came with the ebb at the 12 oclock position. Rotating it to 6 oclock made a huge difference to the feel of the bike (sitting in, not on etc etc). Was also much better with a longer stem.

firestarter
    Free Member

Tim mailed you mate

No worries ned

And Gil I do still see him we aren’t at same station anymore but he’s local. I may take you up on your offer but let me have a think before I leap cheers

timbur
    Free Member

Nothing here yet Mick

tburden(at)gmail.com

firestarter
    Free Member

Mmm sent you something ages ago will try again mate

firestarter
    Free Member

Tim let me know if you haven’t got owt next time you see this thread ta

timbur
    Free Member

Still nothing :0(

firestarter
    Free Member

Weird check spam. I’m at firestarter4075 at Gmail dot com

timbur
    Free Member

Pics emailed Mick
    Cheers
    Tim

firestarter
    Free Member

Sorry mate just spotted this, I got your mail a few hours ago and replied cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I will be sorted thanks to Tim but it appears I will now have a very new rear hope pro 2 hub on Easton arc 45 wheel if anyone is interested otherwise I’ll have to buy a fatter front wheel for the ramin too doh…

firestarter
    Free Member

Well thanks to timbur/biff for the wheels and swinnertons/Evans for the tyres here she blows
    I dropped the bb down lower as the front was hiked up compared to the 26fat front and but a quick spin round the block feels good, very good 🙂 almost looks normal if that’s possible for a Jones. Very pleased

nedrapier

Very nice. Looks much nicer than mine, anyway. It’s got all sorts of crap hanging off it for the weekend.

firestarter
    Free Member

Where as I’m working all weekend 🙁
    Enjoy and thanks 😉

timbur
    Free Member

Looks like they belong

firestarter
    Free Member

Feels like it too tim

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Jones riders question for you, well two :)’ is closed to new replies.