Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Joining the darkside – advice
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

I'm making a step to the darkside. Picking up my first road bike at the weekend to start commuting to work. The commute is 8 miles each way on B roads, have you any advice or any good tips that I should be considering?

Also, no showers in work, I'm I likely to become the most hated person in the office for smelling like a bin?

druidh
    Free Member

Good advice: grow up and stop using the word "darkside".

Oh – and can you really not cycle for 8 miles without becoming a greasy stain?

clubber
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Good advice: grow up and stop using the word "darkside".

+1

I can't. I couldn't when I was fit, I can't now that I'm not.

Bring a (clean) towel to wipe yourself down – that does a fairly decent job. baby wipes are good too. Bring a good deodorant/anti-perspirant.

wwaswas

1) get some sort of mudguardage. Full length are best, racegaurd/crud a reasonable 2nd.

2) baby wipes will help prevent nasty niffs as will standing outside for a few minutes to 'cool off' before entering the building.

using darkside is fine – everyone knows what you mean – just don't call it a beast or a rig…

oldgit
    Free Member

And Vittorias

oldgit
    Free Member

I'll let you wear a peak but not baggies, plus they'll still be wet when you go home unlike lycra.
    Used to do a long commute with no showers at the end. Small towel, wipes etc will do. Leave your work shoes at work that'll save space and weight.

njee20
    Free Member

Darkside is never ok, you sound like a ****.

As above really, baby wipes etc work wonders, as does riding slowly.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

lighten up lads, this is all new to me. And yes 8 miles will make me become a sodden mess at the moment, thats why I'm starting this caper

oldgit
    Free Member

It's a serious business and there are rules. Just look at the rabble that call themselves mountainbikers.

dickydutch

Good to see the usual STW rules still apply – hammer anyone who so dares as to call it the darkside! 😆
    It is a sh*ite phrase though. Along with rig. And steed.
    Now if you were to call it a push iron………..

bassspine
    Free Member

I never know what's so bad about the dark side. I know the young Vader was a whining ninny, but – choke hold, red light sabres, what's not to like…?
    IGMC

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Apologies OG, serious face on now 😉

brooess
    Free Member

Do you drive? Do you know how hard it can be for even observant drivers to see bikes? Make yourself as visible as possible. Hi vis jacket, take advantage of the relative cheapness of the backup LED lights. I have LEDs on the bike, my helmet and my rucksack for maximum visibility. Also worth getting reflective ankle bands IMO. Reflective tape on the bike can help too.
    If you've not ridden in traffic before, practice becoming very observant, watch v carefully for drivers doing daft things and plan contingency action for anything you can imagine them doing. Making eye contact is good. Don't be too confident too soon. I think local authorities offer cycling skills courses for people new to commuting which may be useful.
    Above all, enjoy it. It's great having the opportunity to ride your bike every day rather than only at weekends 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Cheers B, thats good advice. i've got loads of hi viz gear just need a back light and I think I'm sorted. Its all country roads so not much traffic. thanks

gee
    Free Member

Yeah Nick knows all abour riding slowly 😉

GB

langy
    Free Member

def make sure you cool down before using the wipes etc – not point getting "clean" whilst continuing to sweat heaps.

shoes and such at work is a def plus so you don't have to carry them.

mud guards and as many lights as you can fit on the bike and yours clothes – then one more light front and back. and have them on summer or winter, day or night. Don't give people any excuse to not see you.

Country lanes are almost worse as people cut corners etc not expecting traffic; at least busy roads means they are generally looking for traffic of some sort even if not paying full attn.

speaker2animals

I'm a sweaty bugger. I found 10 to 15 mins cool down prior to change to be fine. Wash the pits/face an change into work clothes with application of deodorant should be fine. I always stuck a puff of athletes foot powder into pants helps too. minimises chance of fungal infection of bum/groin/thighs.

andrewh
    Free Member

Over on timetrialingforums they call us darkside…

grumm
    Free Member

You roadies are a touchy bunch eh? Depending on how hilly it is I would have thought you could manage not to get too sweaty doing 8 miles.

My number one tip though, which will help with this, is if you need to carry stuff get/use panniers – then you won't get a sweaty back and your ride will be much more pleasurable. Road bike position with a rucksack is not a good move imo.

4ags4
    Free Member

If your B roads are anything like mine you'll need a good front light (obviously if you cycle in the dark), a strong front wheel and some good reactions to avoid some of the cavernous potholes that have appeared in the last few months!

samuri
    Free Member

I wouldn't be able to cycle 8 miles and not need a shower if I was entering into a work environment, even if I went slowly. I can't look at a bike without sweating.

But, as a result I've developed a very efficent process for washing myself down in a disabled bathroom. All I need is a rag, some soap, a towel, a small sink and a towel.

clubber
    Free Member

Depending on how hilly it is I would have thought you could manage not to get too sweaty doing 8 miles.

Once again, much like Samuri, there are some of us who do sweat when exercising for any period more than a few minutes, almost irrespective of how hard we're actually working. It's manly, ok 😉

DaRC_L

Yep get off the darkside case – always a good bit of banter between my mates (roadies & MTB'ers) in a panto kind of way over which is the darkside.
    +1 small towel, good deoderant and pothole proof wheels

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Some people sweat more than others regardless of fitness. How about falling off your high horses and accepting that rather than waving your sweat free willies about chaps? Oh sorry, I forgot. This is STW. 🙄

And who, on a ride to work won't at some point decide that a gentle pootle is not really where it's at and will start timing themselves and attempting to set / beat their personal best? Or come across another rider and decide on a silent race with them? And after all that still not get sweaty?

grumm
    Free Member

Some people sweat more than others regardless of fitness. How about falling off your high horses and accepting that rather than waving your sweat free willies about chaps? Oh sorry, I forgot. This is STW.

Crikey bit touchy aren't we? This thread is really bringing out the sensitive types. 😆

Maybe I'm biased as my ride to work is 5 miles that's almost completely flat, but I've rarely felt the need for a shower. Or maybe I just stink and don't realise.

samuri
    Free Member

I just stink and don't realise.

Bingo! 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I just stink and don't realise.

Not all of us treat every outing on the bike as a macho exercise to prove how hard we are. 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

Darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside, darkside.

it's well known that roadies have no sense of humour.

darkside.

check what tyres your new bike comes with, it may have lightweight racing slicks… depending on the road condition it may be worth getting something a bit more puncture proof.

don't just limit your dark-siding to commuting though, you'll be missing out on a heap of fun.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Crikey bit touchy aren't we? This thread is really bringing out the sensitive types

Not really. Just reponsding in true STW style. 😆

backhander
    Free Member

Looks like the darkside will become a mainstay of my exercising due to a bulging disc and ropey knees preventing me from running.
    A names a name and I'll probably call it "riding a bike".
    Cannot bring myself to wearing lycra without baggies and I think I'll wear a helmet although I think a set of DMR V12s may look a bit daft.
    Best £1000 road bike on CTW anyone?

MrTall
    Free Member

When i used to commute in London i found a switch to panniers from a backpack did wonders for reducing the sweat. Was particularly nice in the warmer months when you could just wear a short sleeved top and the airflow kept the sweating to a minimum.

Depends if the bike you will be commuting on can accept a pannier rack though?

Other than that, lights, lights and more lights. I used to be lit up like a Christmas tree and still some people wouldn't see me.

Oh, and always assume the worst from drivers. If you think that bloke has just seen you and won't pull out in front of you, think again….. The one time i stood up for my right of way was the one time i got knocked off by an obnoxious b1tch who stitched me up with false details and cost me a new back wheel.

cp

panniers on road bike are soo much better than a rucksack for anything moire than a mile or two – as you're leaning forward more, the rucksack on your back is a LOT more annoying than on an mtb where I barely notice it…

tonyg2003

Ride slowly to work (piano if you are roadie now) and ride home quicker. This will keep the sweat to a minimum.

Otherwise – lots of lights and bright clothing – don't be ashamed to look like a Xmas tree.

"feel the power of the darkside" sounds better now!

Blimey people are touchy today. I call it the darkside with my MTB mates and I road race.

ahwiles
    Free Member

backhander:

i want one of those

itchypedro
    Free Member

Here's my advice…
    Take a small flannel with some shower gel on it (put it inside a sandwich bag) instead of baby wipes – that way you won't smell like a toddlers @rse. Use a thin handtowel instead of a big towel. Leave as much clothing at work as possible. Maybe drive on a Monday and take a weeks worth of kit in then – certainly leave your shoes there.

On the bike, get some good puncture proof tyres and light yourself up like an extra from Tron – get a big back light like this

and keep plugging away at it – cos when summer comes you'll be loads fitter and may even enjoy it.

JtotheP68
    Free Member

I really don't get why Mountain Bikers have such a chip on their shoulder about road cycling. I mean referring to it as the Darkside and roadie etc. Its all a bit childish.

Most road cyclists I know have mountain bikes and ride them off road, they also don't really seem to have preconceived opinions about Mountain Bikers in the same way that lots of people on here seem to.

zaskar
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Not if you're going flat out and have some great hills to power up! I didn't shower at work today but was only in for an 3hrs.

Or cycle slowly really slowly to work.

You could wear a baselayer, jersey and jacket-make sure it's breathable.

(You will need to change in the bathrooms but you will need to hang your kit out to dry somewhere so bring a hanger, keep the baselayer on under normal garments as it will dry-just in case your jersey is soaked-need to stay warm.)

Cycle slowly and don't go like a nutter-you will be dryish+good anti perspirant.

Darkside? well I use the term roadbike but I don't mind ppl calling it Darkside as they have a sense of humour and not 90yrs old.

Don't take life too seriously or you'll miss it!

Luminous jacket and lights with backup lights! take tube and allen keys.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it is true to say that most roadies will give a little nod of acknowledgment to each other, but definitely not to mtb'ers.

so i make a point of being aggressively cheerful towards roadies when i'm out on the fat-tyred bike.

Hiya! (waves enthusiastically)

aP
    Free Member

@awhiles – that's probably because they've stopped off at Peaslake for a cuppa and been wlecomed by the massed mtb-ers with the pleasant phrase "Look here come the **** roadies".

JtotheP68
    Free Member

it is true to say that most roadies will give a little nod of acknowledgment to each other, but definitely not to mtb'ers

I've found this, but I've also found the reverse to be true when you are on a road bike and you pass a group of mountain bikers. Some people are friendly others aren't, I don't think its the type of bike you ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Joining the darkside – advice’ is closed to new replies.