Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Joining a proper Club….
  • Kryton57

Is the proper etiquette to buy Club Kit? I mean, rules are I’d need it if any any BC.org events, but for weekend club rides?

Subs I understand, but the kit?

clubber
    Free Member

I’m not sure we are a proper club as we have no rules or offical positions 😉 but we certainly don’t insist on it – it’s nice when people do though but tbh people can’t resist purple and gold anyway 😉

damitamit
    Free Member

I wouldnt think it was mandatory especially if you’re new, but after a while its always nice that members buy kit.

Saying that, I won’t buy our club shorts as shorts are personal thing and I’m not spending 50+ quid only to find I don’t get on with them.

What club are you joining?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think for BC events you can ride in plain unbranded kit or club kit. As long as it’s not the kit for some other club. (I may be very wrong on this though!)

RickyRah
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a rule but usually people can’t wait to get hold of it. It’s good quality stuff and well designed and is usually a little bit cheaper than the stuff in the shops.

Why would you not want to represent your club?

Haze

I didn’t for the first couple of months while waiting for a kit order, nothing was ever said and plenty still turn up in regular kit.

Just have SS & LS jerseys at the moment which are made by Inverse and seem pretty good quality, will be grabbing bibs and a gilet next order.

If you’re racing they might throw a bit of kit your way.

Kryton57

No issue with representing the club – they’ve bee good to me during my inagural rides with them.

Just the cost of the addition kit. Re quality, I scored a 2nd hand pair of bibs £40 and by far the most comfy I’ve ridden.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I think for BC events you can ride in plain unbranded kit or club kit.”

must be white top …..

i fell fowl of this with the mighty isobel at an early season TT when i was between clubs…..

flipped it inside out and carried on

TiRed

If you are member of our club (Twickenham) and are out on regular group rides, you are expected to wear club kit. The minimal kit is a jersey £40. It’s all from Champion Systems and is excellent quality too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Or become an informal club – no rules, no subs, no boss, just friends to ride with.

StirlingCrispin

Depends on the club.
    If the club kit is emblazoned with sponsor(s) logos you can expect to be given kit – and expected to wear it on club rides.

If you are not given kit I would expect it to be heavily discounted (trade price at the most) and wearing on club rides to be fully optional.

If non-sponsored, full whack and fully optional.

Many members ask for club kit so they can appear to “belong”. Problem is that lead times can be so extended that summer kit needs to be ordered in winter and visa versa, with large upfront payments.

Former club chair, kit order organiser, and general grump at all things kit-related. Now I only wear a logo if I’m paid to!

Edric64
    Free Member

Timetrials are run by the ctt not British cycling you either wear club kit or any plain unbranded (no sponsors ) kit.This is for open events ,in club events anything goes

trail_rat
    Free Member

that depends which side of the border your on doesnt it edric.

MrSmith
    Free Member

depends on the club, i bought a jersey and wear it now and again depending on the ride but it doesn’t have a zipped valuables pocket and feels horrible in hot weather.
    i have loads of quality santini, assos, rapha, castelli, le-col and giordana kit so can’t see the point in paying out for a load of inferior champsys kit that i don’t want to wear and doesn’t fit as well. the shorts and winter jackets are nowhere near the quality of other makes.
    probably irks some in the club when i’m the only one not in club kit but nobody’s going to ask you to leave 🙂

if you are still a member in 6 months then buy a jersey, but i wouldn’t buy everything on the list unless you want to.

crazy-legs

I think for BC events you can ride in plain unbranded kit or club kit. As long as it’s not the kit for some other club. (I may be very wrong on this though!)

If you have a club named on your BC Racing Licence, you should wear the kit registered to that club. The exception is for 4th Cat riders who can wear pretty much anything.

njee20
    Free Member

If I’m mountain biking I chuck a team jersey on top of my Gore or Assos winter jacket, I don’t get cold, I have extra pockets, and it keeps the sponsors happy!

On the road I just don’t worry too much, would make more of an effort on a proper club ride (as opposed to a few mates riding at the weekend, which most of my rides are).

Edric64
    Free Member

Is it different North of the border regarding kit then trail rat ?

mrmo
    Free Member

no rules in the club i ride for, the kit is subsidised, but not free, which is a reason to buy if you need clothing.

kilo

Edric 64 – Member
    Is it different North of the border regarding kit then trail rat ?

TT’s in scotland are run under BC regs rather than CTT so;

8.1.2 When competing under these Regulations riders (other than as provided in T.R. 8.1.8 and 8.1.9) shall wear Club or Region registered design and colours, as is appropriate.

8.1.3 The racing costume of a competitor must be free of all lettering except for the name of his club or representative team and as permitted by T.R.

8.1.9 In Road and Track events, Youth, Fourth and Provisional category licence holders and BC non licence holders will be allowed to wear any suitable clothing whilst competing in events under the Technical Regulations of the Federation, including that bearing registered or unregistered advertising except in the case of National Championships when they must comply with T.R. 8.1.1 to 8.1.6.

Kryton57

TiRed – Member
    If you are member of our club (Twickenham) and are out on regular group rides, you are expected to wear club kit. The minimal kit is a jersey £40. It’s all from Champion Systems and is excellent quality too.

Go North London and you’ll know which club (I’m attempting to keep my STW ramblings and club persona apart 😀 )

Kit is also from CS – Just worn the club Bibs for the first time today – they are the comfiest I have (over castelli’s and DHB Aeron Pro).

Anyway, I’ve ordered it now, seems the proper thing to do.

oldgit
    Free Member

The club will register it’s colours for racing.
    I’m happy to pay for good club kit, but my sponsored race team kit is free.
    Hint at the club Kryton57…?

Kryton57

oldgit – Member
    The club will register it’s colours for racing.
    I’m happy to pay for good club kit, but my sponsored race team kit is free.
    Hint at the club Kryton57…?

The have – hint “rising from the ashes”

damitamit
    Free Member

Ah.

The Gregarios meet in Hatch End if you’re after a slower club (thou with better looking kit!). http://www.gregarios.co.uk/

(I may be one of them)

Kryton57

cheers by no thanks damitat. The reason I a where I am is the mix of road and MTB (mtb being held local to my riding), and the challenge of the faster guys to get me fitter.

Over the last 3 months I’ve met some great people and learned a lot (as I’m sure would be true with any club).

BristolPablo
    Free Member

There are rules regarding kit for BC events but unless the organisers are particularly anal, they won’t be enforced at Cat 4. To me it’s enough to put people off, I just don’t see the point of rules regarding race kit if they want to encourage more people to go racing.

http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/portfolio302517.html lots of people in club kit but those who weren’t, had all sorts of stuff on.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Joining a proper Club….’ is closed to new replies.